Do people ever say to you "Stop Acting" or "G

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 1:27 pm

Do you ever get people that say that to you? Like you act most of the time, like they don't believe you or something? I hate it so much, I wish I was acting, and I wish I could just stop whenever I want, its not always that easy. I also hate when people say to me Grow up, I wish I could just literally grow up, like I want to be this way or something. Does anybody else have familiar situations like mine?

26 Jul 2007, 1:35 pm

I've been told online to grow up. I was accuded of acting too last month on another forum.

Prudence
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jul 2007, 1:41 pm

By "stop acting," do you mean they're telling you to stop overreacting or stop faking a different personality?

Trigger11
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 1:46 pm

People think I am acting and full of <bleep> all the time. It is VERY annoying. Like I want to be a social outcast who is constantly being ridiculed.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 1:48 pm

Prudence wrote:
By "stop acting," do you mean they're telling you to stop overreacting or stop faking a different personality?

I'll give you an example, I was having a sensory overload and all the noises and lights at the place where I was, was bothering me, so I acted very distant, and disoriented. When I saw my friend, I was all messed up, and she goes to me "Stop Acting." Things like that, or if I get too overly excited about something, and clap and jump up and down, people will go to me "Grow Up." I used to get yelled at, or hit one way or another for just being overly excited, giggling, or clapping, or just being "too happy", because as my father would say I needed to "Grow Up."

Prudence
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jul 2007, 1:50 pm

Ah, overreacting. Well, I agree that both your friend and your father were rude.

Trigger11
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 1:58 pm

Age1600 wrote:
I'll give you an example, I was having a sensory overload and all the noises and lights at the place where I was, was bothering me, so I acted very distant, and disoriented. When I saw my friend, I was all messed up, and she goes to me "Stop Acting."

I've been having this issue a lot lately. My wife is a very angry individual and yells a lot at me and the kids. The two older kids are at each other's throats all the time and screaming. I keep getting overwhelmed by it all and my wife just tells me to "grow up" or "stop faking it". She just can't understand how overwhelming it all can be at times.

alexbeetle
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 2:05 pm

I was at an international conference a few weeks ago talking to a fellow professional who I have only previously spoken with on the phone. We talked about work and towards the end of the conversation he asked me 'what do you want to be when you grow up?'

This was in a nice voice like he was being friendly but I am not sure if he was being sarcastic/rude or what ??? I am 41 and a have a good career!

I just decided to treat it with humour and said 'I don't think that far ahead'

It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm really quite busy.

Trigger11
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 2:07 pm

alexbeetle wrote:

Good one! :lol:

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 3:22 pm

I have been told to grow up, but it's usually in the context of 'stop being naive'. Errrmm, sorry, can't do that. Alternatively, grow up meaning 'take me seriously' from someone who is behaving like a prat. Errrmm, sorry, won't do that.

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 4:39 pm

Yeah Ive heard them all "grow up" "stop acting" "use common sense" "your the dumbest smart person Ive ever met" etc.

My usual response is "Wish I could it would make my life so much easier" they usually drop the subject if I don't get offended like an NT would and actually admit I'm not perfect.. don't think they expect that.

Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane

Mishcana
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jul 2007, 5:31 pm

"Quit debunking my jokes." "Come on, you can't be serious you fell for that."

Acting definately too. Especially around the 16 times when the peers started to talk up the "unmentionable" topics. They never understood how I could be so naive about it, or so "Eeek" on certain topics, but could give out factual accounts of how the systems worked in full fledged lingo :)

opal
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 10:18 pm

alexbeetle wrote:
I was at an international conference a few weeks ago talking to a fellow professional who I have only previously spoken with on the phone. We talked about work and towards the end of the conversation he asked me 'what do you want to be when you grow up?'

This was in a nice voice like he was being friendly but I am not sure if he was being sarcastic/rude or what ??? I am 41 and a have a good career!

You did well, beetle. I would have been too busy picking my jaw up off the floor. It sounds rude to me...

zee
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2007, 1:34 am

Yes. When I was 25 my mom even told me to grow up... we were at a souveneir store and I wanted to buy a pointed grey hat.

Panzyo
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jul 2007, 2:06 am

My brother is pretty much the biggest liar ever and my mom seems to think I'm the same way. There are things that I have trouble doing like washing dishes without gloves, mowin the lawn, vacuuming, stuff like that. She yells at me for it a lot. It's like she's thinking "I know you're lying, but I can't prove it." Needless to say, I'm not a big fan of her.

One of my friends tells me to calm down a lot. One time, we were at the grocery store picking up some snacks and I started to just kinda say exactly what was on my mind. "We should get a coconut, crack it open, fill it with kiwis, and close it back up. I dunno what we'd do with it then, but I think we could definitely come up with something cool." I guess I must have sounded really excited or something because he told me that I really needed to calm down. Like, he wasn't rude about it or anything. He was laughing. It just never occurred to me that I had been acting very strangely.

Am I on topic? I think I lost myself. XP

Brainsforbreakfast
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Jul 2007, 8:37 am

Panzyo wrote:
"We should get a coconut, crack it open, fill it with kiwis, and close it back up. I dunno what we'd do with it then, but I think we could definitely come up with something cool."

Most best idea everrrrrr!

Seriously, I make jokes like that all the time.