As an aspie, how does your intelligence compare with others?

Page 1 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2021, 9:21 am

-
And are we only smart at our interests?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 9:56 am

Depends on the person.

Like everyone else, I’m smart in some things, and stupid in others.

I’m smarter than most about geography. I’m dumber than most about plumbing.

Shellbelle
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 10:16 am

Agree with Kraftiekortie. I am smart in some places, but really dumb in others. Social situations are a good example.

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2021, 10:20 am

The question still stands also what are you good and bad at?

Velorum
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 10:24 am

In comparison to others I consider myself to be of average intelligence.

I'm educated to masters level - but what helped me here is my ability to focus and my aversion to leaving things unfinished. Sometimes at work colleagues think I am smarter than I am as a result of some of the work I produce - I dont agree with them, its down to my tenacity and how I structure things. Its a style, nothing to do with intelligence. On the other hand I often come across as below par especially in relation to social (and worse still) emotional issues - for obvious reasons and again, nothing to do with intelligence in my view.

Non-binary member of the LGBTQ+ community

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 10:27 am

General statement: I think quite a number of us tend to be more analytical than the average NT. I'm not sure if this is connected with autism directly, or if we're forced to be more analytical after a lifetime of wondering why so many things go wrong socially. Perhaps we train our brains to ponder more and it becomes part of our character.

Analytical thinking doesn't necessarily mean an above-average intelligence, but I do think it's almost like a life-long brain teaser that forces us to exercise more of our mental capacity than the average individual.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 10:37 am

I'm smarter than the average bear.

Which unfortunately is quite sub-par by human standards. :nerdy:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 10:52 am

Technic1 wrote:

I know this is going to sound conceited but (this is how i feel), I hardly run into anyone who i consider "intelligent" irl, most interactions leave me bored disinterested, apathetic or even annoyed .

Technic1 wrote:

yes. i believe the key is to have a wide span of interests.

Velorum wrote:
On the other hand I often come across as below par especially in relation to social (and worse still) emotional issues - for obvious reasons and again, nothing to do with intelligence in my view.

I feel like a performer. sometime I'm firing on all cylinders, very quick, very engaged, next time i meet a person i complete bomb and shut down ad don't really say much. I'm kinda inconsistent, and emotional temperamental. again like you said this has nothing to do with the cerebral cortex, It's the amygdala. cognitive (analytical) vs emotional (social)

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2021, 11:15 am

theprisoner wrote:
Technic1 wrote:

I know this is going to sound conceited but (this is how i feel), I hardly run into anyone who i consider "intelligent" irl, most interactions leave me bored disinterested, apathetic or even annoyed .

Technic1 wrote:

yes. i believe the key is to have a wide span of interests.

Velorum wrote:
On the other hand I often come across as below par especially in relation to social (and worse still) emotional issues - for obvious reasons and again, nothing to do with intelligence in my view.

I feel like a performer. sometime I'm firing on all cylinders, very quick, very engaged, next time i meet a person i complete bomb and shut down ad don't really say much. I'm kinda inconsistent, and emotional temperamental. again like you said this has nothing to do with the cerebral cortex, It's the amygdala. cognitive (analytical) vs emotional (social)

I have heard that aspies can be social or logical.

Is that what you said at the end of your post?

What can you tell me about social vs logical but not both at the same time?

Velorum
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 11:17 am

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
General statement: I think quite a number of us tend to be more analytical than the average NT. I'm not sure if this is connected with autism directly, or if we're forced to be more analytical after a lifetime of wondering why so many things go wrong socially. Perhaps we train our brains to ponder more and it becomes part of our character.

Analytical thinking doesn't necessarily mean an above-average intelligence, but I do think it's almost like a life-long brain teaser that forces us to exercise more of our mental capacity than the average individual.

I think that this is a really good point.

It certainly makes sense to me.

Non-binary member of the LGBTQ+ community

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 12:20 pm

I don't really have special interests and I never have done. I'm a very practical person though and I have a tendency to see something and I can instantly see how it can be made better. So in that respect I'm quite smart. I wouldnt say I'm smarter that none asd people at all. In fact I wouldn't say that I'm smarter or even as smart as most people.

I don't really want to be either. Being brainy would have never worked for me really.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 12:32 pm

Technic1 wrote:

I can tell you there's two distinct networks in the brain, the Default Mode Network and Task Positive Network, one is generally to do with social (aka people orientated), the other is generally described as dealing with rational logical analytical mathematical processes (aka object orientated).

Quote:
While it is very well documented that the TPN and DMN tend to be antagonistic, both at rest and during the performance of tasks, the dichotomy between these networks is not absolute. They can be simultaneously activated and work in cooperation with each other (Fornito et al., 2012; Meyer et al., 2012).

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 3:10 pm

I've never felt smarter than others on average. The kids at school felt like geniuses to me. I used to wonder how they contained the information the teacher was telling us, and I would sit there not having a clue what the teacher had just been telling us and so had to ask the other kids to help me with the work.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 3:25 pm

Mine is uneven enough to be compared in a contradictory manner.

But in the end, it doesn't matter.
Only that I know where I compensate and where I need less effort, I know what I dislike and like, I know where I'd be useful or useless... :lol:

WHEN I'd be, however -- that's my issue. :lol:
It confuses me. It confuses everyone else.
Sometimes I can keep up with whatever they labeled as geniuses, sometimes I might as well be average, sometimes it's best I leave everything else to others.
Sure, I can alright but how often and when?

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 3:40 pm

babybird wrote:
I don't really have special interests and I never have done. I'm a very practical person though and I have a tendency to see something and I can instantly see how it can be made better. So in that respect I'm quite smart. I wouldnt say I'm smarter that none asd people at all. In fact I wouldn't say that I'm smarter or even as smart as most people.

I don't really want to be either. Being brainy would have never worked for me really.

i think a self effacing really brilliant person, would describe themselves in the manner above. :nerdy:
8)

where ever you go ,there you are

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 4:01 pm

theprisoner wrote:
Technic1 wrote:

I can tell you there's two distinct networks in the brain, the Default Mode Network and Task Positive Network, one is generally to do with social (aka people orientated), the other is generally described as dealing with rational logical analytical mathematical processes (aka object orientated).

Quote:
While it is very well documented that the TPN and DMN tend to be antagonistic, both at rest and during the performance of tasks, the dichotomy between these networks is not absolute. They can be simultaneously activated and work in cooperation with each other (Fornito et al., 2012; Meyer et al., 2012).

It is just my veiw.. but i think this theory needs to be fleshed out abit more . Am thinking in a variety of situations the physical manifestation of the brains( Physical) neurological system might be a consideration . ( neural fiber density) recent research has also pointed to a lack of neural pruning in childhood Could be considered a issue in autistic individuals .? Possibly lopsided brain development?
And various areas of the brains development .ANd possible misfiring in the areas concerned in the above """ Networks ?"""

where ever you go ,there you are