I feel like I have AS, even though I had speech delay.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 9:15 pm

I have been wondering if that is normal.

I feel like I have Asperger Syndrome, even though I had speech delay in the past.

Even though I had an old diagnosis of PDD-NOS, I started to feel like I have Asperger Syndrome in my late childhood. Nowadays, in my IEP records, they just say that I have Autism.

At first, I felt confused, because I always thought that my main diagnosis was PDD-NOS, but then I did research and found out that it is just ASD.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 9:58 am

It depends whether you use DSM-4 or DSM-5.
----DSM-4 defined Autistic Disorder, Asperger’s Disorder and PDD-NOS as separate, different possible diagnoses.
----DSM-5 combined them under the term "Autism Spectrum Disorder".

So, I think if you were previously diagnosed as "PDD-NOS" using DSM-4, now--using DSM-5--you would be diagnosed as "Autism Spectrum Disorder".

But, be advised I worked in computers, not psychology.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 10:48 am

Personally what used to be "high-functioning" Autism and Asperger's are the same in my manifestation of ASD. I predominantly appear to be what was known as Asperger's, but under significant duress I very much appear as classic Autism. Likewise, I expect someone with "classic" Autism with development and/or support would appear as "Aspergers". I have Asperger-like friends who have not had significant duress in their lives so haven't observed how they would behave in those times --- they get to think that Asperger's and classic Autism are more separate than they are. My point is Asperger's folks may be able to "handle" more stress but really the underlying characteristics and responses are similar --- a spectrum. Coming from me this is odd b/c I put myself in a lot of stressful situations, but as a sensation seeker... ah, well. Like I said, most of my friends (have been able to) avoid stress so they are more "comfortable". The speech delay thing is weird: my daughter had a speech delay from my perspective, but was never in speech therapy. Now at 10 she doesn't like to talk, but she does. Her teachers consider her to be a typical student, albeit quiet. Thus she would be considered the Asperger type --- "passing" in mainstream activities, e.g. she rubs her hands vigorously under her desk and -for now- teachers and peers aren't taking note. Wishing you well in your self-exploration!!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 10:55 am

I had a severe speech delay. I didn't speak until I was 5 1/2 years of age.

Nevertheless, after I started speaking, I presented more "Aspergian" than "classically autistic."

I do believe there are "high-functioning" classically autistic folks who are not Aspergian.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 11:34 am

It makes sense.

Thank you!

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 12:12 pm

I don't take these developmental delay criteria very seriously. According to some "experts" I should have been a complete duffer when I first went to school, but I was top of the class for the first 3 years, way more fluent with reading than the other kids, and I think I'd have passed the Sally Ann test. I can also score as NT with the AQ test any time I like, without telling a single lie.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 1:45 pm

Sometimes I feel I don't qualify for autism under the new DSM-5, and I am hoping this is true, but because of my inability to make friends it probably means that I am on the spectrum. :roll:

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 1:49 pm

I have hard time masking my traits of ASD after a long time and I am very bad at math.