Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 1:25 am

Does anyone else do "t-rex arms", where you hold your arms up at chest height? Not intentionally, but just as a natural way of positioning your arms. I subconsciously do it all the time because I have no idea what to do with my hands and arms when I'm not actively using them.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 1:32 am

Yes. I compensate by ALWAYS carrying something, even if I'm alone in my house. No matter where I walk I pick up a pen, a piece of paper, a paperclip, a piece of lint from the floor, or SOMETHING .... just so I don't have empty hands. I figure T-Rexes look better if they're actually carrying something so they have a reason to hold their arms up. I feel like a freak with my arms hung at my sides. I have no idea what to do with them.

Note to self: Constantly carrying things around, every time you move, does not work well with executive dysfunction.

I'm always losing things that I moved unnecessarily just for the sake of having something in my hands.

Another curious thing: my hands are ALWAYS curled in fists. I don't keep my fingers out straight.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 1:38 am

Yes, I do which is rather strange enough it's usually not intentional.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 1:38 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Yes. I compensate by ALWAYS carrying something, even if I'm alone in my house. No matter where I walk I pick up a pen, a piece of paper, a paperclip, a piece of lint from the floor, or SOMETHING .... just so I don't have empty hands. I figure T-Rexes look better if they're actually carrying something so they have a reason to hold their arms up. I feel like a freak with my arms hung at my sides. I have no idea what to do with them.

Note to self: Constantly carrying things around, every time you move, does not work well with executive dysfunction.

I'm always losing things that I moved unnecessarily just for the sake of having something in my hands.

Another curious thing: my hands are ALWAYS curled in fists. I don't keep my fingers out straight.

When I was younger I used to just hold onto the front of my shirt because I for some reason thought it was less awkward if I was holding onto at least something. lol

I still do that sometimes, but my arms are always awkwardly bunched up at my chest either way. I also keep my hands in fists and I actually actively dislike having them open. I think people look at me weird because of these things, though it's just so weird to have my arms at my sides. I feel exposed + confused of how to position them.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 4:35 am

john wayne.
and I had a friend who always said he( my friend) looked like "circus bear" because of his arms and the way he carried himself. I found it endearing.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 12:16 pm

autisticelders wrote:
john wayne.
and I had a friend who always said he( my friend) looked like "circus bear" because of his arms and the way he carried himself. I found it endearing.

:lol: I like that description of it. I guess I can see how it also resembles a bipedal bear instead of just a T-rex.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 12:17 pm

Edna3362 wrote:
Yes, I do which is rather strange enough it's usually not intentional.

I don't really intentionally do it, either. It's odd how my body wants to default to it.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 12:22 pm

I used to do raptor hands but after a lot of mocking I've mostly learned to not. :oops:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 12:42 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
I used to do raptor hands but after a lot of mocking I've mostly learned to not. :oops:

Besides for weird looks I'm surprised that no one's really mocked me over the "T-rex arms". I think I am awkward and noticeably "odd" enough that people don't bother picking on me about things like that, at least as an adult. :scratch:

CinderashAutomaton
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Oct 2021, 1:55 pm

Yes! I've been doing it for so long that I never really questioned it till just now, even after I noticed that's a bit unusual, not many years ago.

I don't do it all the time. It depends on the circumstance. Two common situations I can think of atm seem to be when I'm anticipating the possibility of needing to use my hands for something, or when I'm holding my limbs close to myself for comfort or keeping warm.

I feel like perhaps my heightened sense of alarm/insecurity might play a part. Holding your hands up to your chest is a pretty instinctual defensive posture, in addition to ducking your head down, folding your shoulders inwards and leaning forward.

Something perhaps interesting to note is that I also tend to keep my hands folded down very often, like during the 't-rex' arms pose. No idea why I do that. Might be linked to self-comfort or insecurity maybe? I don't know. But I remember seeing it very often with people who have more severe cases of autism, like non-vocal folks who struggle with communication and motor skills, and other people who have congenital or neurological musculature issues.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 2:33 pm

CinderashAutomaton wrote:
Yes! I've been doing it for so long that I never really questioned it till just now, even after I noticed that's a bit unusual, not many years ago.

I don't do it all the time. It depends on the circumstance. Two common situations I can think of atm seem to be when I'm anticipating the possibility of needing to use my hands for something, or when I'm holding my limbs close to myself for comfort or keeping warm.

I feel like perhaps my heightened sense of alarm/insecurity might play a part. Holding your hands up to your chest is a pretty instinctual defensive posture, in addition to ducking your head down, folding your shoulders inwards and leaning forward.

Something perhaps interesting to note is that I also tend to keep my hands folded down very often, like during the 't-rex' arms pose. No idea why I do that. Might be linked to self-comfort or insecurity maybe? I don't know. But I remember seeing it very often with people who have more severe cases of autism, like non-vocal folks who struggle with communication and motor skills, and other people who have congenital or neurological musculature issues.

I think I do it the most when I'm standing and walking. If I am sitting down I usually have things to fidget with or I just mess with the fabric of my clothes, so I don't have to hold my arms like that (unless I am super uncomfortable, then I still sit with my arms bunched up at my chest). I also think I do the "hands folded down" thing. I think it relates to me keeping my hands in fists/near fists because it feels odd to hold my wrists out straight, just like it feels odd to have my hands open. I honestly might have just been doing those two things for so long that my muscles and joints are used to it, though.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 4:44 pm

Yes.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 4:49 pm

I hold myself really rigid.

My arms and hands are always on the side, like a good soldier LOL

This tends to inform people that there's "something wrong with me."

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 5:22 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I hold myself really rigid.

My arms and hands are always on the side, like a good soldier LOL

This tends to inform people that there's "something wrong with me."

I think I'm also worried to look too rigid. If I don't have my hands pulled up to my chest I feel like holding my arms rigidly at my side. I know I hear about allistic people not knowing what to do with their hands all the time, but they still seem to handle it a lot better and look more "natural" doing so, and I want to know how they do it. lol

Arathors
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Oct 2021, 7:34 pm

Yes, I do this very often, and I call the the same thing! It's most common when I'm looking for something. I'll realize at some point that I'm walking around with my wrists pressed up against my chest. In that situation, I'm usually taking giant steps too, and swinging my head in big arcs looking around. It can also happen when I'm thinking hard, or happy.

I'm tempted to say that it can happen for me during any period of increased energy, concentration or agitation, but that's not quite right. It doesn't happen if I'm doing something highly cognitive like working on math problems. It doesn't happen when I'm writing fiction, but does happen when I'm imagining scenarios. I think it's more likely to happen if I'm cold.

T-rex arms are one of the smaller signs that helped confirm the diagnosis for me. I've seen other autistic people do it as well, with many different symptom profiles. When I was in high school, one kid had autism with significant cognitive deficits; he walked around like this all the time.

I'm careful not to do it in front of others, but if it's just me I don't mind. It feels more - comfortable in a way I can't describe.

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
If I don't have my hands pulled up to my chest I feel like holding my arms rigidly at my side. I know I hear about allistic people not knowing what to do with their hands all the time, but they still seem to handle it a lot better and look more "natural" doing so, and I want to know how they do it. lol

I would hold my arms rigid when walking as a kid until I got in trouble for it. Then I put my hands in my pockets until I got in trouble for that. Now I very deliberately swing them as I walk. I got in trouble for that, too - I guess it's stiff enough to look unnatural - but I didn't care by that point.

Curious about almost everything. I'm especially interested in chess puzzles (warning: I'm not good at them), writing fiction, and reading scientific journals, particularly articles that I can use to improve myself or my life somehow. PMs welcome.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2021, 7:47 pm

I will cross my arms across my chest(negative signal)...or clasp my hands behind my lower back (confident at ease signal)..not sure what t-rex arms would be, nah can't say i do... i will have 2 check for that

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)