Do you want to know what gene(s) caused your autism?

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 5:20 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Well both my parents are neurotypical, but have managed to produce 2 emotionally insecure Aspies. My half-sister is 100% neurotypical so I don't think the autism has come from my dad's side, it must have come from my mum's side. My mum has a sister with (undiagnosed) autism but her child is neurotypical.

In all fairness, me and my brother should both be neurotypicals and my aunt's child should be autistic. But no, it can't work like that can it. It has to be ME cursed with this f*****g s**t.

These things are super tricky. I'm honestly also curious as to why me and my brother both have full-on autism, but some of my mothers other kids have only some traits at most. I know having relatives who are part of the Broader Autism Phenotype is normal, but the fact no one else but us have it to this degree is odd.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 5:34 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I would venture to guess that it's more likely there are "many autisms," rather than "one autism."

I'd definitely support this idea.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 6:06 pm

Note that SPARK says some people get a genetic report from them. But it is apparently about 10%. And it might be a year (or more) before you hear from them...if you hear from them. And very rarely will the report be about anything except genetic changes associated with Autism.

So, there is a slight chance you'll get some interesting information from them but, pretty much, there's not much motivation to participate unless you would like to advance their understanding of a possible genetic basis of Autism.

They sometimes ask you to participate in other studies. So far I've only answered a couple of short questionnaires. (I've gotten longer, more interesting tests through Wrong Planet!)

In addition to your DNA they also encourage you to get a biological parent and/or a biological full-sibling to submit a DNA sample. An NT sister of mine submitted a sample. My 91-year old Dad is willing to submit a DNA sample too but their consent form is via e-mail and Dad hasn't advanced to that level of technology!

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 7:19 pm

Double Retired wrote:
Note that SPARK says some people get a genetic report from them. But it is apparently about 10%. And it might be a year (or more) before you hear from them...if you hear from them. And very rarely will the report be about anything except genetic changes associated with Autism.

So, there is a slight chance you'll get some interesting information from them but, pretty much, there's not much motivation to participate unless you would like to advance their understanding of a possible genetic basis of Autism.

They sometimes ask you to participate in other studies. So far I've only answered a couple of short questionnaires. (I've gotten longer, more interesting tests through Wrong Planet!)

In addition to your DNA they also encourage you to get a biological parent and/or a biological full-sibling to submit a DNA sample. An NT sister of mine submitted a sample. My 91-year old Dad is willing to submit a DNA sample too but their consent form is via e-mail and Dad hasn't advanced to that level of technology!

Get permission and do it on his behalf maybe?

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 9:43 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
He's a full day's drive away (which is especially an issue during the Pandemic) and we'd have to use someone else's computer. I'm not sure I'm feeling that adventurous... (Especially since, based upon past visits, I might need to find a hotel/motel to stay in...during a pandemic...in U.S. states that are Pandemic idiots...)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 10:04 pm

Double Retired wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
He's a full day's drive away (which is especially an issue during the Pandemic) and we'd have to use someone else's computer. I'm not sure I'm feeling that adventurous... (Especially since, based upon past visits, I might need to find a hotel/motel to stay in...during a pandemic...in U.S. states that are Pandemic idiots...)

Oh jeez, there's a lot there that could complicate things.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2021, 10:17 pm

I find this interesting: My family is mix and match R us.

My mom is ASD w/ avoidance, my dad is NT w/ anxiety
* I am ASD w/ anxiety. Woo-hoo the best of both worlds! Hahahahaha.
* my sister is NT w/ avoidance

I am ASD w/ anxiety, my husband is NT w/ avoidance
* our daughter is ASD w/ avoidance
* our son is NT w/ anxiety

The hard-core "math gene" went: my mom (ASD/avoidant), to myself (ASD/anxious), to my son (NT/anxious) --- it appears to be independent of the ASD or anxious aspects. My dad and daughter are both great at math, but it's not a passion.

Mix and Match!! Disclaimer: "avoidance" and "anxiety" could be better explained, but it's the best I got right now.

I want to know if which gene, if any, caused my and my husband's infertility and recurrent pregnancy loss. I once tried to google if either are more common for ASD persons but couldn't find anything.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2021, 2:38 am

Very basic. Via a shortened version of my Promethease report. Used to be available via xcode.life but doesn't seem to be available any more.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2021, 4:51 am

studying family history might give some clues. In doing geneaology years ago I discovered a pattern in one family line, many had club foot, and women before the age of 30 and men after the age of 50 had comitted suicide in every generation as far back as I could go in that line. (1790s). We have had suicides in the same line even as recent as last year. So sad, but the discovery of this obviously genetic pattern was amazing. this happens to be my (also autistic) mother's father's family line, and many many of us in this last couple of generations, aunts uncles, cousins, all have been diagnosed as autistic. Raises more questions than it answers, but it was an "aha" moment when I put the clues together.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2021, 1:33 pm

I hope it's a round and a light pea green shade and there's a little socket that I can screw it into.