Mark yourself as autistic on DL?
Yes 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
No 87%  87%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 15

Cait
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Oct 2021, 9:40 pm

When I got my driver's license, they asked if i wanted to put that i was autistic on there.

At first it was cool, some representation... but I thought about it, and doesn't that kind of... make me a super huge target for discrimination?

People hiring for a job? Nah, you're autistic.

What do you guys think? :(

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2021, 9:45 pm

I would possibly do that if it was offered to me, as it might be helpful if I got stopped by the police or something. I'm not that worried about potential employers not wanting to hire me because of it.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2021, 10:39 pm

I don't think we have that option here in Australia.

I'm ADHD though, and because I take medication for it, that is on my licence card. Specifically: Take medication/treatment as directed by health professional.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2021, 2:08 am

No - why should my diagnosis follow me around everywhere I go?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2021, 2:13 am

No, I'd rather have it on my Indian status card. :nerdy:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2021, 6:36 am

In the UK they have no option for adding a disability to a driving licence. I'd it was possible o don't see the purpose in doing so.

Given the history of the licence authority here, I would never tell them about autism.

harry12345
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Oct 2021, 11:52 am

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
I would possibly do that if it was offered to me, as it might be helpful if I got stopped by the police or something. I'm not that worried about potential employers not wanting to hire me because of it.

I've often wondered whether it would be worth having some kind of printed card in the car that (if the unfortunate happened) could be held up at the window so that the police officer could see it.

Saying that the police in the UK are probably less strict (and hopefully more understanding) than the police in the USA so one would need to consider local conditions before implementing such an idea.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2021, 12:01 pm

I've never heard of that option either.

What is it meant to accomplish?

I have a disabled parking permit in the window, and my full Emergency medical history is on my iPhone.

I do have a medical ID bracelet but I don't wear it often.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2021, 12:21 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

I have a disabled parking permit in the window, and my full Emergency medical history is on my iPhone.

A use for doing it might actually be as a type of disabled parking permit but if an aspie can drive they probably won't need one exclusively for autism alone.

Might be something to think about in the future.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2021, 12:26 pm

Nades wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

A use for doing it might actually be as a type of disabled parking permit but if an aspie can drive they probably won't need one exclusively for autism alone.

Might be something to think about in the future.

I've suffered two strokes, so that's why I have the permit. I read that I could have the permit just for Autism if wanted it though. I think it was something about sensory overwhelm or anxiety? General disability? I can't remember.

My daughter also has a parking permit for Autism and Lupus, so we have two permits in one car. When she's parking alone without me she gets soooo many dirty looks from ableist-idiots who don't recognise invisible disabilities. They think she must be faking it or cheating by using someone else's. People have actually confronted her about it.

People suck.

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2021, 12:45 pm

Again, I say: A diagnosis means nothing unless it helps the person.

In this case, it only points a finger.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2021, 1:04 pm

I could see putting it on a driver's license if it served some practical purpose.

My first thought is it might be like having a medic alert bracelet in case you thought you might end up in a situation where you'd be unable to tell people yourself but it was important that they know. But a medic alert bracelet (or some similar jewelry or article of clothing) would be more convenient I'd think.

Alternatively, if some establishment (restaurant or entertainment venue) had special benefits or privileges for autistic then it could be handy. But, if you can go to an establishment like that then I don't think you live anywhere I'm familiar with.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2021, 1:09 pm

If I were to get a driver's license, I wouldn't want it on that card.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2021, 1:21 pm

Nades wrote:
In the UK they have no option for adding a disability to a driving licence. I'd it was possible o don't see the purpose in doing so.

Given the history of the licence authority here, I would never tell them about autism.

CAN confirm. Yes , you don't have to tell them anything, unless it might legally impact your ability to drive.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)