Anybody undecided for awhile in considering joining WP?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2021, 4:40 pm

To initiate this discussion thread from LINK to thread based-on one WP response in the WP thread 'Seeking Fresh Perspectives From New WP Members.'

LINK: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=400816&p=8883042#p8883042

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2021, 4:52 pm

I was going to join in around 2017 and made an account, made a few posts, and then got nervous and ducked out before anyone could respond to me. :lol: It took me 3 more years to make another account and continue to post.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2021, 5:09 pm

This was one of the few sites that I joined that I jumped straight in, but I did join out of desparation and to be honest, I was going to join to ask a single question that I needed to know, and then leave and close my account. (I could not find a way to ask without joining. I had tried writing a text to an autism charity but did not get a reply as there was a few week waiting list to get a reply, and my phone acted up so I ended up getting nowhere, so in desparation I joined this site. My question aas eventually answered by a former moderator. I ended up having many more questions!
I am still here :P ).
I joined this site a month or two after I was accepted to be assessed. I have not been assessed yet but it should not be too far away..

Last edited by Mountain Goat on 17 Oct 2021, 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2021, 5:11 pm

Never gave it a second thought.

I joined "the Aspie Hangout" on Delphi Forums before I was even officially diagnosed way back in the early 2000s.

Then I learned of this site, and joined it.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2021, 5:11 pm

I joined straight away after googling for a sensory topic which gave me a link. This was the first forum I'd ever seen before. I had no idea what a forum was or how it worked but I figured it out pretty quickly. I remember reading something from auntblabby right before joining.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2021, 5:14 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

I joined "the Aspie Hangout" on Delphi Forums before I was even officially diagnosed way back in the early 2000s.

What made you find out that you were on the spectrum? (I mean before you were diagnosed).

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2021, 5:19 pm

I joined right away, after Googling “Asperger’s Forums.”

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2021, 5:22 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I joined right away, after Googling “Asperger’s Forums.”

Did you know you were on the spectrum?

Actually, lets start a new thread as it is interesting but we are going off the origional topic.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2021, 5:24 pm

I was diagnosed with autism when I was about 3 or 4 years old, in the 1960s. It would have been called “infantile autism” back then.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2021, 5:30 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I was diagnosed with autism when I was about 3 or 4 years old, in the 1960s. It would have been called “infantile autism” back then.

You are rare in that way. You must have had very noticeable traits I assume?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2021, 5:34 pm

Yep. I had no speech until age 5. I used to throw things from store shelves, and scream nonstop for hours.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2021, 5:40 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Yep. I had no speech until age 5. I used to throw things from store shelves, and scream nonstop for hours.

I was told I cried and cried so much as a baby that my Mum nearly threw me out the window. I cried for days at a time. :(

I remember being very frustrated about not being able to express myself to explain how I feel.

Wierdly for me, even as a baby I seemed to have the mental abilities of an adult but without a way to express them into words. I can remember right back and how I felt. My mind works good in pictures in film form.

I spoke very early. Three words very clearly. I remember saying them and I was about 8 weeks old. But I remember my Dad going buzerk with excitement and I thought I had done something wrong, so I did not speak a word then until normal speaking age.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2021, 6:40 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
To initiate this discussion thread from LINK to thread based-on one WP response in the WP thread 'Seeking Fresh Perspectives From New WP Members.'

LINK: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=400816&p=8883042#p8883042

ADDENDUM: Thank-you for your responses. This discussion thread is an extension of the discussion thread, 'Seeking Fresh Perspectives From New WP Members.' See LINK in original post OP for further details regarding the purpose of this discussion thread.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2021, 9:05 pm

I joined partially because boredom. And partially too angry.

No second thoughts. No thoughts about being wrong or going shy, no nothing.

And I do not count on any expectations, not even my own because my internet connection was too unstable.
Only wanting to express the anger and confusion.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 1:17 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

What made you find out that you were on the spectrum? (I mean before you were diagnosed).

Parents sent me to shrinks since gradeschool in the 1960s. Because I didnt make friends etc. For stuff that I now know were from autism/aspergers, but no one recognized at the time was autism/aspergers. So the therapy never did much for me.

This was long before the post 1994 modern era when autism was thought of as a spectrum (then only extreme Kanner type cases were considered to be actual autism). And long before 1994 when aspergers was a recognized diagnosis outside of the German speaking world.

As a middle aged adult my sister showed me an article about ADD or something. Didnt think it applied to me. But later in the 2000s mom and sis suggested aspergers. Mom pointed out that the "little professor" thing described me well when I was child. I agreed. The lady shrink I was going to had "never even heard of aspergers" even though was over ten years into the era that it was a diagnosis, but read up on it overnight and agreed it could be me.

So thats how I came to suspect that I was aspie several years before getting the thorough diagnosis a few years ago.

Though i did have an odd experience way back when was around ten in the Sixties. That was when you first began to hear about autism ( the classic low functioning Kanner type of autism). I heard a radio talk program with both parents and shrinks talking about this newly discovered condition. Like Downs syndrome, but very different from Downs syndrome (the kids can have normal IQ, and can look normal) called autism. They talked about the various things autistic kids did. And I began to notice similarities to me, and began to wonder if there wasnt some mild form of autism, and maybe that I have it. But then put that out of my mind as a crazy idea - and thought to myself -that no -im just a terrible person. And forgot that one time notion that could be a mild autistic (no such thing existed after all) for the next half century- until the world caught up with my thinking and declared that I was exactly that- a mild autistic/aspie.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 18 Oct 2021, 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 1:22 pm

I just joined without a second thought. It was the first forum I had ever joined so I didn't really know what I was doing. It was a different colour scheme back then as well.