Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2021, 4:20 am

At the risk of 'virtue signalling', I really don't think the use of nerd to bully people in school, damaging as that have been for some of us, is in any way comparable to the use of the n-word to subjugate and denigrate a race of people forcibly removed from their home country and made to work under brutal conditions until they died.

No nerd was ever hunted down by a mob, strung up by their neck and burned alive over an open fire.

Again, not to high-road anyone or invalidate anyone's personal trauma, just to say no, they're not comparable. At all.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2021, 4:49 am

Ever since the days that people realise nerds end up starting companies like Microsoft, Apple, Amazon and SpaceX and Tesla..there's nothing left to make fun off.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2021, 7:09 am

I used to like the word "nerd", but it has a different meaning now...basically, if you enjoy Disney's Marvel films, you're a "nerd".

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2021, 10:11 am

renaeden wrote:
I remember a movie called Revenge of the Nerds. I don't remember much though.

Other words, dork, geek, dweeb, have these had an impact like nerd?

Don’t follow the link if the word nerd triggers you, but here is the first time they get called nerds by Ogre:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sTDENzpW7tw

There is also the belching contest where Booger defeats him:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NfK8NUYl9k0

I have see the original (and the sequel) a hundred times + over the years.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2021, 10:26 am

The meaning did change a bit over the years. It started of as a negative insult, especially in the 1980s. I got called that a lot back then due to my academic pursuits. It did not really hurt me, as I was so much different than my peers.

I rubbed it in their faces on exams and assignments for doing that though. My high school biology class was pissed at me and my friend, as we both had perfect exam scores, assignment scores and quiz scores. She beat me by half a point in extra credit points. We ruined the exam curve, so seven people had to retake the class over that would have passed. How is that for a revenge?

Later on, it became more mainstream to be a nerd as it could be someone who is into pulp culture items (comic books, movies, etc.). I have seen t-shirts that college women wear that has “I heart Nerds” or “I only date Nerds” printed on them. You would have never seen that in the 1980s. Part of this change has to do with the popularization of comic cons in media. TV shows like Big Bang Theory started pushing that trend.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2021, 10:41 am

"Be nice to nerds.  Chances are you'll end up working for one." — Bill Gates

FrankStein
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Nov 2021, 11:17 am

As an Aspie my association with the word is long. In school, in the 1950s, I understood that my social skills were not normal and "nerd" seemed to fit me - as well as "loner." It was very late in my life that I discovered what Asperger's syndrome was about and I understood who I was.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 3:29 pm

I'm okay being called a "nerd!" :)

Bustduster
Toucan
Toucan

04 Nov 2021, 8:09 am

I personally don't like the word. "Geek" doesn't bother me as much, because all it really means is a person that's somewhat studious and has a comprehensive knowledge of their chosen subject.

Whilst there's a degree of crossover between geeks and nerds, for me "nerd" also has some negative connotations. It's associated with poor co-ordination, dress sense and social skills, and possibly poor personal hygiene too - but then again I grew up on the 80s, so never benefitted from the word's rehabilitation.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2021, 8:37 am

From where I came from?
Playful and serious expertise in some area online name at best. Meh at worst.
It's a bit complicated though. It's an English word, made from an American culture.

It can be a slur there, but not here. This includes the actual N-word itself.

The N-word, with the same spelling and pronunciations and all -- is not an English word, but more like an Spanish loan word inoffensive noun about having darker skin color than a emotionally charged racial slur.

Anyways...

Sure, this is one of those Asian countries that do value education and academic achievements.
So there are students who do well academically don't get bullied.

But nothing as severe as, say, Singapore or China. Also not as good as, say, India or Japan.
Because the education system here is directly derived from the American education system.

At the same time, the cultures outside the education system, is also anti-intellectual. :lol:
Too much emphasis on language and communication styles.
Too much misconceptions that language use means levels of intelligence.

There are also some stereotypes. Like nerds, are also, in some way, are usually business or/and law persons.
Usually derived from Chinese family traditional upbringings.
Or from privileged socio-economic classes. Instead of the stereotype of socially awkward person.

Because the true definition of nerd... Does not exists here in translation. :lol:

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2021, 8:57 am

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2021, 10:02 am

Fnord wrote:

Ah, that kind of labeling? Ok, let's see...

Anything under intelligence is Mamaw. Though it may mean competent.
Anything under obsession is Adik. :lol: Yes, very much like addict, which is actually true.

To merge, there isn't a single word for two. To say someone under adik and mamaw, meant this person is adik na mamaw or mamaw na adik. :lol:

Anything under social ineptitude is... :lol:

There are no single word for it and only like translated indirect definitions -- walang hiya (shameless), mahiyain (shy), wala sa lugar (out of place)...
Google translate can't; Walang kakayahan sa lipunan (cannot cope in society).

Bastos (rude/pervert) does not fit. Nor does di namamansin (does not draw attention), nor does hindi nakikisalamuha (does not socialize), nor does hindi nakikisama (does not get along)... I could go on and on to be honest.

There's actually no direct translation of socially ineptitude.
Therefore anything under social ineptitude has no translation to speak of in my native terms. :o Maybe except obscured terms that may not even used regularly anymore... If it exists at all.

Which may explain why there's no strange target like fascination around the socially awkward in this culture. :lol:
Except possibly ignore it's existence altogether.

It acknowledges shyness, anti-sociality, loneliness, snobbery and rudeness.
But not introversion, asociality or awkwardness.

So...
I'll just leave anything under social ineptitude as plain awkward.
Yes, another English word for a placeholder. :lol: But it fits into modernized name calling and conversation.

Therefore...
The closest thing to label someone a nerd would be... Awkward na adik na mamaw. 8O Which isn't even grammatically correct.
And is actually awkward to use in any proper, let alone any serious conversation.

Awkward na adik at mamaw -- it'll uneven the two 'seperated' latter traits in 'favor' of the former.
Awkward pero adik na mamaw -- still uneven in favor of the latter two 'paired together' traits...

'Uneven'?! What the heck does that supposed to mean?! :lol:
Sorry, but that's how my mother language works.

Again, I could go on and on and on and rearrange those three traits -- and nothing that came close. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

TLDR; there really is no translation direct to the word nerd.

Because there's no direct translation for social ineptitude either. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by Edna3362 on 04 Nov 2021, 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2021, 10:09 am

Obvious naman na hindi English ang Tagalog. Ang isang taong matalino, walang kakayahan sa lipunan, at nahuhumaling sa isang "espesyal na interes" ay tatawaging "Nerd" sa alinmang wika.  Hindi ba?

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2021, 10:11 am

Fnord wrote:
Obvious naman na hindi English ang Tagalog. Ang isang taong matalino, walang kakayahan sa lipunan, at nahuhumaling sa isang "espesyal na interes" ay tatawaging "Nerd" sa alinmang wika.  Hindi ba?

Opo. :P

Oh, google... :lol:

Though not necessarily 'walang kakayahan sa lipunan'. :lol: It implies severe levels of social and functioning disability.
Level 2-3 support levels and lack of independence severe.

The closest instead would be... Di sanay sa pakikisalamuha.
Which is more of an aspie like -- socially inept, whether or not functionally independent in society. :lol:

Last edited by Edna3362 on 04 Nov 2021, 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

04 Nov 2021, 10:23 am

There is no direct translation of "nerd" in my native language, too, and the English word "nerd" does not have the negative connotations.
The closest native word would be "kujon" - and it is derogatory but there is a very important difference. "Kujon", while having good grades and being socially outcast, is apathetic and studies for grades only. "Nerd" is passionate for studying itself, which isn't that negative in my culture.
I identify as nerd but not kujon - I never cared for grades but science is my world.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>