Remembering things in too much detail

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

WeirdMetronome
Raven
Raven

02 Nov 2021, 2:53 am

Wondering if this is an ASD thing or just a me being strange thing :lol:

I've noticed that I tend to remember details of conversations and scenarios where most people just forget about them. Mostly these are with colleagues at work since this is really the only time I interact with other people. Here are a couple of examples:

We are in an online meeting and using cameras. I was using a headset to help me hear what people were saying a bit better because in previous meetings when I wasn't using it I think background noise was interfering a bit. One guy in the meeting asked me if it was a new headset and I said no, and that I had used it previously when he had interviewed me for the job over Skype (which was more than 2 years ago...). He laughed because obviously it would be ridiculous for him to remember that :lol: But then I remember all the details of that interview, including which game shirt he was wearing at the time, plus the room he was in etc.

Second scenario was I'd tried to bring up what I thought was an in-joke between me and another colleague but he had completely forgotten what I was referring to and the reasons why it had (temporarily, I guess) been a joke. Of course I then proceed to tell him in exact detail down to repeating an entire conversation that happened verbatim between several colleagues and how the scenario came about. :oops:

I'm not saying I remember everything but I have a habit of replaying things in my mind a lot and analysing what happened, so I think this is why I remember all these details. Sometimes a colleague will tell me things about themselves and then when I bring it up in future they've got no idea how I knew about it because they forgot they told me. :lol:

Curious if anyone else does anything similar. :)

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 4:42 am

I repeat things like from my own memory and the exact exchange of words, etc to my husband and he swears he never said that and tells me I am crazy, things I repeat to him never happened.
How can we be so different in our understanding and memories? Yet it is evident for the past 40 years this is so.
I wonder if my sensory processing disorder is at work, or if his memory is the one that is faulty. Maybe both
I don't know if he is gaslighting me or if I am really that messed up. So frustrating, if I dwell on it I become resentful. He is constantly telling me to "let it go". no answers.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 5:10 am

I remember details in a similar way as you.
I used to get really surprised when others didn't remember eg what was said during a meeting 6 months earlier.
I also pick up on many visual details and remember them. Like if I run through a museum and others spend hours in there walking back and forth, I still usually see more details than them and remember them better.

/Mats

timf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 6:29 am

One way to deal with the differences in memory is to give a general answer to a question such as the one about the headphones being new like, "I use them occasionally". If the person has an interest as to when and where, he will ask. most are not interested and feel uncomfortable with what can seem to them a police report of the specific details.

Another interesting phenomena with meetings is when two people think they are in agreement. I have found that if you pose a question to the two parties, as they try to answer your question, they can discover that they really are not in agreement and can begin to work out a solution.

WeirdMetronome
Raven
Raven

03 Nov 2021, 1:48 am

timf wrote:
One way to deal with the differences in memory is to give a general answer to a question such as the one about the headphones being new like, "I use them occasionally". If the person has an interest as to when and where, he will ask. most are not interested and feel uncomfortable with what can seem to them a police report of the specific details.

Yeah this is my strategy at the moment, I'm trying to put more effort into being more vague about what I remember rather than being so specific (unless the situation calls for it).

autisticelders wrote:
I repeat things like from my own memory and the exact exchange of words, etc to my husband and he swears he never said that and tells me I am crazy, things I repeat to him never happened.
How can we be so different in our understanding and memories? Yet it is evident for the past 40 years this is so.

It's likely that he just doesn't remember. My partner's memory is very poor and we have a similar situation, though he doesn't tell me I'm crazy. :( Usually he's glad that I remember things. I think a lot of people really don't think about what is being said in conversations with as much attention as we do.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 4:56 am

I don't always remember words, but I do remember things in picture (Rather like a film being played out) detail. My mind thinks and remembers really well in played out film format.
I do remember words if it is something I have to focus on.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 8:32 am

Dissociation blocks out alot of my memories. and it's jkind of random. but I never can remember. detaisl really. I can remember telling people somehting but never their esponses.I can never emember if i'm teling pepople things. I also just forgot people sometimes.

ISTJ-A - HSP - 21 - AQ - 43 - EQ - 13 - SQ - 69 - RAADS-R - 196 - Aspie Quiz (AS:176/NT:30)ADHD, dysgraphia, ASD Lvl 2, social phobia, Panic Disorder, PTSD, BPD, schizoaffective (BP I type) Memory Loss + cognitive impairment + varying degrees of coherency.

Ψ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Ψ

Redpaws
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Nov 2021, 10:26 am

Yeah, I do remember some things far better than others, to the point where it can freak them out.
I don't get how they can forget so much so easily. It can be disappointing at times.

"Hver eneste gang vi snakker eller uttrykker oss nedsettende om andre mennesker for egenskaper eller attributter de ikke kan råde over, om det er hudfarge, etnisitet, en funksjonsnedsettelse, eller hva som helst – blir vi bitte litt mindre. Det er jo dette det hele handler om, å tåle det som er annerledes fra oss selv og som ikke er selvvalgt."
- Fredrik Solvang