Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Dandansson
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Nov 2021, 12:44 pm

I know that people with ASD can experience meltdowns or go into freeze mode (I don't know the formal term). Some get a bit agressive and other people go into freeze mode. I know one person who is very much into heavy music, eg death metal and other, what I would describe as, agressive music. Is it good for people who go into freeze mode to listen to "aggresive" music?
Is this really good? Does it help? I'm sure it will be of less help for people who experience meltdowns (perhaps even bad). I'm not saying that it will help them get out of freeze mode. I can't imagine that it will. All I am saying is that it perhaps helps them in their life in some way or another.
Why would a person with ASD listen to "aggressive" music?
Has "agressive" music been good or bad for you?

I found this: "The aggressiveness can even be a bonus - it feels like the music absorbs all the negativity I can't express and releases it for me." https://www.reddit.com/r/aspergers/comm ... tal_music/

_cora_
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Nov 2021, 1:26 pm

I don't know if this is what you're asking about, but I know that music has helped me avoid crying or yelling and getting aggressive while in stressful situations. For example, I'm really terrified while I'm in cars, but listening to music reverses those feelings and turns the nervousness into positive, happy energy. Anything "calming" never helps me, but music that is hyper and happy works. "Aggressive" music helps me too, as it's very distracting and hits hard.
I think I may be overstimulated when I listen to the music on top of seeing all the cars flying by, so I kind of get locked in a mode where my reactions aren't as fast? I consider it a positive thing, because I would be screaming otherwise.
I know that without music, I would never ever get in a car. So it really helps me, though I'm not sure why.

Dandansson
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Nov 2021, 1:37 pm

_cora_ wrote:
I don't know if this is what you're asking about, but I know that music has helped me avoid crying or yelling and getting aggressive while in stressful situations. For example, I'm really terrified while I'm in cars, but listening to music reverses those feelings and turns the nervousness into positive, happy energy. Anything "calming" never helps me, but music that is hyper and happy works. "Aggressive" music helps me too, as it's very distracting and hits hard.
I think I may be overstimulated when I listen to the music on top of seeing all the cars flying by, so I kind of get locked in a mode where my reactions aren't as fast? I consider it a positive thing, because I would be screaming otherwise.
I know that without music, I would never ever get in a car. So it really helps me, though I'm not sure why.

What is "calming" music?
I like songs like Amanda with Don Williams for calming myself down. It sometimes work. A super emotional country song is nice.
Agressive music makes me agressive I think.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 1:45 pm

I can't stand heavy rock music. It's ear rape to me.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 2:04 pm

Hard core punk, skate punk, street punk etc is quite calming for me, as is traditional folk tunes.

/Mats

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 2:07 pm

I like grindcore and powerviolence along with some metal, mostly tending towards stuff that's less melodic.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 2:33 pm

I like mainstream music like Beyonce, Rhianna, Amy Winehouse, Katy Perry, Black Eyed Peas, that sort of stuff.

I like old mainstream music too.

Actually I like all sorts. But definitely not heavy metal/rock.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 2:43 pm

I love music -- everything from classical to opera to folk, classic rock, metal, Indie, and post-punk. I consider music a stim because it can really calm me, or help me to express my feelings by singing (shouting) along or going into a daydream.

I think music is especially good for people with Alexithymia. In my case I wouldn't be able to experience or isolate many of my emotions if I didn't have music to provide an outlet. It's also a great way for me to process memories from the past because I have a very strong synaesthesic response to music.

I don't listen to music 24/7 and I don't listen to radio. I've always collected vinyl albums (likely close to 1000 in my life), and now I also play digital music on my computer or in the car. It can be very cathartic to choose just the right song at just the right time, for dealing with feelings I couldn't otherwise express. I'm one of those people who can sometimes play one song on repeat for hours, hundreds of times, experiencing frission and almost going into a trance.

When I have a meltdown I don't usually want music immediately, but once my sensory system starts to calm I'll pick something that can assist in my shutdown from the world.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 2:52 pm

I wouldn't call Amy Winehouse mainstream. Heck, I'd say The Clash is more mainstream, or at least on the same level.
But it gets complicated fast when discussing terms such as "mainstream" and genres such as "grindcore" or "metal", even what's melodic.

/Mats

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 2:59 pm

mohsart wrote:
I wouldn't call Amy Winehouse mainstream. Heck, I'd say The Clash is more mainstream, or at least on the same level.
But it gets complicated fast when discussing terms such as "mainstream" and genres such as "grindcore" or "metal", even what's melodic.

/Mats

I'd say in the context of metal melodic usually means widdily and pretty sounding, but not so widdily that the emphasis is entirely on the widdiliness.

Something like At The Gates is melodic, something like Devourment leans away from those sorts of sensibilities.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 3:16 pm

I'd say the melody is there, it's just not in your face. Kind of like Hip Hop can be sometimes, and like Techno can seem to lack rythm.
As a comparison, I can tell you that I had a conversation with an uncle some 20 years ago, and he didn't understand how people could like The Beatles, it was all noice to him, no melodies!

/Mats
Edit: and now I have the melody of a Devourment song stuck in my head, I hadn't heard them before so I had to look them up

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 3:30 pm

Before I retired I worked in IT. More often than not I was unhappy and very busy. While working I liked to have background music that filled the void around me but did not distract me. I found electronic New Age, Ambient/Space, and Trance worked well for me. In general, though not exclusively, I listened to music by Steve Roach and similar New Age (I've concluded that anyone he's collaborated with also very likely produces music I will enjoy), and also to music by Philip Glass. Some of the music had a dystopian tone--which often fit my mood. Typically I would loop the CDs for hours on end and play them perhaps loud.

My favorite CDs to work to were:

Philip Glass' Koyaanisqatsi--sample:

This music is associated with the 1982 music film Koyaanisqatsi which is the first film in the "Qatsi trilogy." My bride got tired of hearing it play over and over, loudly when I was working from home.

Steve Roach's On this Planet--sample:

One day I was working from home and had this looping and loud. My bride stuck her head into my office door and the conversation was something like:
-=-=-her: "What are you listening to?" :-o
-=-=-me: "On This Planet." :-|
-=-=-her: "On which planet?!" 8-O

Steve Roach et al.'s Trance Spirits--sample:

The best background noise for working diligently CD I had.

Now that I am happily retired I listen to similar music but have less need for the dystopian feel.

Dandansson
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Nov 2021, 3:38 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I love music -- everything from classical to opera to folk, classic rock, metal, Indie, and post-punk. I consider music a stim because it can really calm me, or help me to express my feelings by singing (shouting) along or going into a daydream.

I think music is especially good for people with Alexithymia. In my case I wouldn't be able to experience or isolate many of my emotions if I didn't have music to provide an outlet. It's also a great way for me to process memories from the past because I have a very strong synaesthesic response to music.

I don't listen to music 24/7 and I don't listen to radio. I've always collected vinyl albums (likely close to 1000 in my life), and now I also play digital music on my computer or in the car. It can be very cathartic to choose just the right song at just the right time, for dealing with feelings I couldn't otherwise express. I'm one of those people who can sometimes play one song on repeat for hours, hundreds of times, experiencing frission and almost going into a trance.

When I have a meltdown I don't usually want music immediately, but once my sensory system starts to calm I'll pick something that can assist in my shutdown from the world.

interesting!
I have to say that certain music with lots "agression" makes things worse for me. When I hear such music I tell myself: "I wish they could deal with their anger in a nicer way than playing this disturbing music!".
Does "agressive" music make any of you less agressive?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 3:40 pm

mohsart wrote:

/Mats

Maybe mainstream isn't the right word - I just meant music that plays on popular radio stations what most people are into.

A lot of music Aspies post here are what I've never heard of before.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 3:44 pm

Dandansson wrote:
interesting!
I have to say that certain music with lots "agression" makes things worse for me. When I hear such music I tell myself: "I wish they could deal with their anger in a nicer way than playing this disturbing music!".
Does "agressive" music make any of you less agressive?

I don't have an agressive bone in me, but "agressive" music tends to calm me down.

/Mats

Dandansson
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Nov 2021, 3:47 pm

mohsart wrote:
as is traditional folk tunes.

/Mats