Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2021, 11:01 am

A mountain man (someone who would go into alone to an uncharted area to explore or to make a living and didn't mind a solitary existance) Watching Jerimiah Johnson yesterday made me wonder about this; I feel someone like him would be diagnosed as on the spectrum today. For a person to go alone and not mind sounds like aspie traits to me. :?:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2021, 1:22 pm

Very possible that many of the mountain men of the old west were aspies. Read a quote by one who partnered up with another more famous guy (maybe he was talking about Jerimiah Johnson) who said "that I trekked through wilderness for 100s of miles with so-and-so, and he never once spoke a word to me. Now thats what I call good company!" :D So both must have been aspies.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2021, 2:33 pm

There may well have been a higher percentage of Aspies there, but the first "Mountain Man" on the island where I used to live was there so that he would be hard to attack by surprise, having fled a gang in the US. Currently, the most hermit-like man I know by far is my best friend. He seems quite NT and intelligent; he just prefers most animals to most people, likes working outdoors, and feels overwhelmed in a city.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 9:58 am

I don't see Grizzly Adams as being an Aspie-type character. He's just some guy who wants to get away from civilization and commune with the animals.

There's much more to being Aspie/autistic than wanting to get away from civilization.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 1:20 pm

From where I came from, yes and no.

Yes, it'll likely be people who cannot cope well with the modern standards of living.
Maybe people with nowhere to go except hide, likely with ruined past lives.

Also no. :P There are really people who lives in the mountains alone.
Some are rumored to be witches or shamans, usually in rural places, likely as someone who would choose to commune with nature.
Some are actually displaced tribespeople and actually know too little of the modern world to function there.
Some are actually been born up there...

I can see the appeal though.
But it's not necessarily about AS.
I acknowledge the fact that some of us are asocial, some of us are social, and some of us cannot handle being in overwhelming places regardless of the desire for solitude, and some of us simply can do with stressfully hostile environments.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 1:26 pm

I live in a town with under a thousand population, an hour from the nearest traffic light. I met a young woman from the direction of no traffic lights, and she was quite overwhelmed at having more than one store/post office to search for things. There are people even farther north who think that seeing the Sun rise on Christmas would spoil the soft light of tradition.

Dandansson
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Nov 2021, 4:59 pm

Aspinator wrote:
A mountain man (someone who would go into alone to an uncharted area to explore or to make a living and didn't mind a solitary existance) Watching Jerimiah Johnson yesterday made me wonder about this; I feel someone like him would be diagnosed as on the spectrum today. For a person to go alone and not mind sounds like aspie traits to me. :?:

I couldn't stand being alone like that!
Would an "Aspies" even be better at this than other "NTs"? I'm not so sure!

Dandansson
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Nov 2021, 5:01 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
There's much more to being Aspie/autistic than wanting to get away from civilization.

yeah and my aspie issue would probably make me suck at that anyway.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 9:33 am

Some mountain may have been, some definitely were not. Many western legendary figures went through prospector/trapper phase before going to become sheriffs and even local politicians.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 9:34 am

Some mountain may have been, some definitely were not. Many western legendary figures went through prospector/trapper phase before going to become sheriffs and even local politicians. Not that aspies cant be sheriffs or local politicians as well, but not all mountain men were either life long loners nor had aspie traits. But some probably did.