Worst misinterpretations of your motives?

Page 4 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 9:15 pm

Jayo wrote:
I should also mention, in the goal of proving that Jesus's "share your wealth" teachings are not subject to rigid interpretation akin to communism, he could also have been alluding to one's stage/station of life where one is very old and very wealthy. Because you can't take it all with you, so to speak. Take the example of Andrew Carnegie. He donated heavily to charitable causes, museums, the arts, etc., etc. He's one of the greatest philanthropists of all time. So I would say that he adhered to Jesus's teachings very well, yet was anything but a communist.

Ya I dont know.I dont think that we can ever truly know what Christ's share your wealth meanings really mean in this day and age but I think doing it like it was done in Acts is the safest way if you want to get in the Kingdom of Heaven and thats why I am called a Marxist at times.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2021, 9:26 pm

Jayo wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
People who call other people Communists usually don't know what Communism really is.....

Well yeah. What Jesus was preaching was all voluntary - do this IF you want to get into the Kingdom of Heaven.
Whereas communism is coercive, do this OR ELSE. 8O Everyone is forcibly equal and not allowed to own property, and if oppose that... you will be sent to a hellish place.

But as soon as you insert basic human attributes like envy and pride and want, and lasting security for one's family... then it all falls apart. These are not "sins" per se if in moderation (never mind the 7 deadly sins) - at least as an Aspie I have some insight as to where black-and-white thinking isn't appropriate :D

Well the way I look at it is that Christian communism if you can call that it is communism in the sense nobody owns private property but like Marxist Communism is way different because everyones private property is taking away with the barrel of a gun and government force.I read a book about early Christian communism and they called the siutuation in Acts informal communism and Marxist communism formal communism.But people call me Marxist communist because I said that Karl Marx was inspired by Acts when he came up with the idea of formal communism.I know this because i think he even said so in the Communist Manifesto.Like I am for informal communism like in Acts but not state-sponsored formal communism.Like the church in Acts were at least proto-communist or very close to communist.Like the situation in Acts was 100 percent voluntary in terms of giving up property but i think its the Christian ideal.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2021, 6:33 am

Fnord wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
people think I am a Soviet Union Style Communist for saying that Jesus said sell everything and give all your money to the church and poor which is a horrible insult and misinterpretation were i live.I believe thats the ideal but idk for sure and thats too radical for people at my church so they think I am a Marxist.
Matthew, the Tax Collector wrote:
Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven.  Then come, follow me."
What?!

And give up my guns?!

:wink:

I dont think its the gun part that they object to the most.Its the fact that they dont want to give up their millions.However I dont think Jesus means for us as Christians to give up our guns as Jesus told his disciples to get swords.

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2021, 12:20 pm

Going back to the original question/thread (as the OP no less), I would like to raise another awful (and frankly absurd) misinterpretation of motives:

More than once, as a younger man, when I told people "I need some time to think it over / think about it", they construed this as a rejection. When I literally meant that I needed time to think about it.

Maybe it was because I didn't pick up on their non-verbal expression seamlessly coupled with their state of mind (the bane of my existence), which was saying "I think this would be a great opportunity for us, please accept, I don't want to feel insulted or have to beg" - in situations where it's more subtle, like a girl wanting me to ask her on a date, or someone wanting to partner for a business endeavour or special project, or someone who's interviewing you for one job and then suggests another job - I don't know, stuff like that, where you feel put on the spot. Obviously, this doesn't apply so much where motives are VERY transparent, i.e. a salesman whose sole goal is to close the sale. Then I have no problem saying "I'll think about it" - either as a rejection, or literally.

It's funny (but not really) during those times when I said "I'll think about it" - I came back to the original person and told them I was interested, only to hear him/her respond awkwardly "Oh! OK...well, I'm sorry, I...I thought you were no longer interested, so I went ahead with...bla bla bla." :roll:

Typical NTs, reading subtext first and main text second.
As if it were impossible that the main text was the REAL sentiment!! !
:( :roll:

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2021, 9:09 pm

Another horrible misinterpretation I have been given is that I am worse than the worst used car salesmen because I am a independent landman who flips oil leases.Also someone thought i was trying to rip them off when I offered to buy their mineral rights but I was going to give them a fair price so thats another false misinterpretation that was kind of bad.

Ade C
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Nov 2021, 2:23 pm

Being accused of planning a mass murder at work. Do I win the contest?

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2021, 2:35 pm

Ade C wrote:

That could be a strong entry. What was the motive that got misinterpreted?

Ade C
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Nov 2021, 8:07 am

Dear_one wrote:
Ade C wrote:

That could be a strong entry. What was the motive that got misinterpreted?

Sending a picture of some airgun pellets to a colleague as part of a private joke. Someone else saw it and raised a complaint together with a load of other wild accusations. I was cleared of any wrongdoing...a year later!

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2021, 8:15 am

I heard about someone who got fired from a good job for drawing a swastika. It was at the bottom of a letter to her mother, written in Hindi, and included as an ancient Sanskrit symbol of good luck. Once the emotions get engaged, the logical circuits are of no use.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2021, 8:43 am

Dear_one wrote:
There was a whole swamp of misperception by my ex, but one clear example was when I applied for welfare, as I had during the slow part of the year for me twice before. Another new social worker took my information, and asked me if I knew the birth date of my roommate, which I did. She had asked me to move in, and I had always treated her like a surrogate daughter, because she was 17 years my junior. The social worker assumed that if I knew her birthday, I must be a lecherous old man who should not get public assistance.

am sorry that happened to you dear-one , That was a terrible thing for anyone to assume.
especially . People can often come to unreasonable conclusions . And especially if you are not able to engage them to their satisfaction. And being Autistic , i think our reactions to such thoughts .
can cause a autistic person to not catch up on these impressions that others make of us .
Generally whe i am confronted in such a situation , have been known to go flat .

where ever you go ,there you are

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2021, 9:13 am

Yeah, I never bother trying to defend myself even with a simple denial. It just seems a waste of time and hope. Even if I would win in a court of science, authority wants to maintain an aura of infallibility more than anything else.