Page 3 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

TheTraditionalFrog
Raven
Raven

23 Aug 2007, 10:41 pm

The only person I ever knew who did this besides a deaf lady, was a former NT friend.

When I used to watch more telly, I would only put the subtitles on when I was watching a video or DVD and couldn't catch what a person was saying (I would rewind and replay with the subtitles on), or there was excessive noise or talking in the background. I usually muted the telly to talk on the phone, so would turn on the subtitle or captioning to not miss what was going on.

Now it is a moot subject since I don't own a television.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2007, 1:24 pm

I used to do that all the time when I was little. It made me feel better to read the dialog while hearing it at the same time. I don't do it anymore though, especially not with anime (because I feel it distracts from the art).

Ihdreniel
Raven
Raven

26 Aug 2007, 9:57 pm

I always put subtitles on when I watch television. Always. It drives my family up the wall. (That, and my habit of turning the volume down to, like, five.) If people are talking too fast, or mumbling, or have hard-to-understand accents, it just makes things so much easier. And if I'm having no trouble with comprehension, then I can just ignore the STs.
Though for some reason, I don't really like watching foreign films without dubs, even with subtitles. Weird, eh?

ghostgurl wrote:
I like how the subtitles add in little things like "grunts." :lol:

Yes, and how CC on broadcast television will sometimes have... interesting mispellings. Or they're squoosh words/phrases together or something. Hee.