Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

FrankStein
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Nov 2021, 2:18 pm

This was discussed some years ago here but I believe it is really important for many to be aware of this. I was browsing about a decade ago and found quite by accident a study which talked about the length relation between your second (from the thumb) and your forth finger. It noted that those with a forth finger longer, some might be in the Autism spectrum. When Asperger's was explained, I was struck dumb. My whole life was immediately explained. I was always a "loner" but didn't understand specifically how I was different.
Two notes. I had a government job which required me to enforce Customs laws for commercial importers. It was specific and systematic and I did very well and was promoted. It did not involve personal interaction, just documents on my desk. If I had understood ASD, I would have kept that job - and not try to move into management, etc. if I knew what I know now. I did leave and tried the importing private sector...and that failed.
(I once read a book explaining why all managers appear incompetent. Take a teacher for instance, they might love the interactions with young people and helping them find their way. But you might be promoted to counselor... and you spend lots of time with personal interaction with troubled students (and might not be very good at that), or you could be vice principal and deal with personnel issues, or you might end up principal who has to satisfy the general public and the School Board. Promotions usually require different talents and personal interaction might not be the best for Aspergers. Every promotion requires different orientations.) Autistics should look to continue with systematic jobs that do not require personal persuasion, etc.
The second thing I found explained some of my private life. The finger difference was associated with babies from wombs with a high level of Estrogen. That high level was directly associated with boy babies who will grow up with high levels of Testosterone. (Once or twice a week? How about once or twice a day!). Look up the study that Dr. Simon Baron-Cohen participated in. (He of the popular "Autism Test")
I don't mean to be flippant about these things. This information was important for me and changed my life. It might not be the same for you. You should be aware of this, particularly with 2 x 4 finger length as described.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2021, 2:21 pm

Once or twice a day sounds normal.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

Redpaws
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Nov 2021, 5:22 am

I've heard about the finger length difference too, and it holds true for me. I wonder how prevalent it really is for us.

No terror, no war. No sympathy for terrorists or their supporters and sympathizers

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2021, 5:23 am

I don't buy into it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2021, 8:52 am

My fourth, or "ring" finger is shorter than my second, or "index" finger.

Therefore, that thesis doesn't compute in my case.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2021, 9:23 am

Redpaws wrote:
I've heard about the finger length difference too, and it holds true for me. I wonder how prevalent it really is for us.
It is an urban myth.

FrankStein
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Nov 2021, 10:39 am

Please understand that I never intended to suggested that the finger length issue and autism are directly related in every case. The studies, if you look at them, find an important percentage - not all - in those with the issue have autism-related issues.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2021, 10:45 am

Please understand that "Correlation Does Not Imply Causation" is a basic scientific principle.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2021, 3:24 am

Fnord wrote:
Please understand that "Correlation Does Not Imply Causation" is a basic scientific principle.

I wish it did. Everything would be so much simpler.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2021, 11:13 am

In my family finger length is correlated to gender, not ASD.
* Fourth longer than second = male adult, male child - both NT
* Second longer than fourth = female adult - ASD
* Second same as fourth = female child - ASD

Regardless of Truth, I'm glad that theory was an impetus for your self understanding!

I think many groups/companies are not inclusive/supportive for an AS person in management. That said, there are groups and companies that are. There are ASD folks who "fit the bill" as managers and leaders, in the right environment. Plus of course there are ASD folks who start their own businesses. Like any good manager/leader it helps if the person is self aware (enough). I had an ASD manager who was good for me (and contributed to my expertise). There was an ASD manager who was bad for me (and contributed to workplace hostility). As a manager myself, I was good (with employees) and -to your point- not good (relative to biased upper mgmt). It was definitely easier for my generation than it was for my ASD mother's and easier for her than it was for her ASD mother's. I hope it's easier for my ASD daughter's generation b/c -as we know- it's still pretty awful.

cbd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Nov 2021, 7:02 pm

What's more common in my finding is the facial feature ratio . It has held true for every single Aspie I am aware of . The edge of the mouth and centre of pupils align exact . Compared to Neuro typical who tend not to have this ratio .

I think this indicates generally a wider mouth shape .. but not always as it is an overal ratio .. if you are Autistic and have close together eyes , your mouth won't be as wide as someone who's eyes are wider apart hence having a wider mouth

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2021, 8:17 pm

My fourth fingers are longer than my index fingers.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2021, 10:18 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
My fourth fingers are longer than my index fingers.

Thats intresting, because thats a testosterone trait... i dont know if you consider yourself 'manly' but...
Quote:
The ring finger has more receptors for testosterone. When you were a developing fetus, the ring finger grows longer with increased testosterone production. Therefore, it becomes a marker for your natural testosterone levels

Also its a known fact that elevated testosterone levels increased libido in women. I have researched these kinda things. They interest me.

Also i think elevated testosterone in women is correlated with lesbian /bisexuality also. I remember reading some scientific study that pointed towards that connection.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2021, 10:32 pm

I'm about as far from a lesbian as a person can be. :twisted:

They aren't a lot longer -- maybe a 0.5 - 1.0 cm.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2021, 7:53 am

For me, the difference is a couple of millimeters…..at most

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2021, 9:11 am

cbd wrote:
What's more common in my finding is the facial feature ratio . It has held true for every single Aspie I am aware of . The edge of the mouth and centre of pupils align exact . Compared to Neuro typical who tend not to have this ratio .

I think this indicates generally a wider mouth shape .. but not always as it is an overal ratio .. if you are Autistic and have close together eyes , your mouth won't be as wide as someone who's eyes are wider apart hence having a wider mouth

Nothing's that precise.

Unless you got a ruler and measured the face of every Aspie you know, there's no real evidence that it's that precisely accurate. Autism doesn't have distinct facial feaures like downs syndrome does. It's just your imagination.