Every time I go to new places, everything looks so distorted

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 1:56 pm

Every time I go to new places, everything looks so distorted in paranoid nature. I wonder if what I am experiencing is a symptom of ASD.

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 1:58 pm

I've never read about something like this. What do you mean on paranoid nature? In the nature of being paranoid? Hmm. Why do you think it's distorted, how should it be in your opinion?

:cat: :cat:

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 2:00 pm

Everything seems to kind of shift at first and it only happens when I am in new places for the first time.

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 2:05 pm

This is all i could find. Im pretty sure i must have read about ot before. I just didn't remember.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derealization

The thing which doesn't match up with your experience is that with Derealization they tend to seem 'lacking in spontaneity' which is opposite for you, unless you feel it.

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 2:07 pm

FranzOren wrote:
Everything seems to kind of shift at first and it only happens when I am in new places for the first time.

Wow. That sounds like a visual illusion. Some of us have extreme sensitivity to bright, noisy, crowded places that overwhelm the brain. New stimuli can be noticed down to every level, such as a scratch on one's glases. I myself don't have it to such a level to describe though. Im just annoyed and feel more calm with noise cancelling earphones.

Do shades do anything for you?

Last edited by Rexi on 19 Nov 2021, 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 2:12 pm

It's just gets to the point where it causes me to feel paranoid, but it's transient.

It's not a good feeling though.

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 2:17 pm

Could it be panic attacks?

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 2:30 pm

It actually does describe what I am experiencing when I go to new places for the first time.

I always had that since my early childhood and still do.

_cora_
Raven
Raven

19 Nov 2021, 2:53 pm

Places seem like a different dimension the first time I go there, and if I go there over a longer period of time, and start to map out the place, it feels completely different then when I first went there. After having been to a place more, usually for a long time, it becomes more complete. For example, the first time I went to my middle school, I had no idea where I was going. Everything seemed very orange and red, at least my memories. Over time, though, it started to look more normal.
I think I might just have a bad sense of direction. I only see fragments of places, kind of like pictures my brain took, until I discover all areas and connections of the place. (this is starting to sound like some weird horror game) I assume that this means my brain doesn't find having a complete picture or map of a place useful until it knows I will go there again?
Idk if this is what you're talking about, but calling it "distorted" is a perfect way to describe it.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 2:59 pm

Agoraphobia maybe?

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 7:24 pm

That can describe what I am going through. I will talk to my therapist about my symptoms.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2021, 6:04 pm

For a better explanation, is that I feel like I am in déjà vu for a transient moment, and it only happens every time I go to new places for the first time.

I think that it could be that I have trouble with changes in routine, but it only depends on the environment.