The dangers of giving out Personal Information on the intern

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

dallascowboys
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Jul 2007, 8:14 pm

Due to a certain situation that has accured and a lack of communication and a fight erupting unexpectedly on the wrongplanet chatsite which has ended up with one person being banned we have had to come on here too explain the serveraty of the situation.
One we can't express enough that giving out personal information to anyone on a Internet site is dangerous as well as plain stupid this young man gave out his home address,mobile phone number and his last name and was in the process of orginising a meeting with a person who he assumed would be his very first girlfriend. I was the one he gave these details too which out of respect and privacy I deleted straight away I ended up giving him a false home address, someone elses mobile phone number and a false last name and first name I can't express enough that you do not give out these kind of personal details too anyone on a Internet site. As I just explained anyone who is on a chatsite could be anyone someone could come on as a female but really is a 50 year old man sitting behind a computer console trying to lure a unsuspecting child to meet up with him or vise versa. This is one situation on here that I as well as other people do not want to have a repeat of. If you wish to find a partner on the Internet please do it on a dating site or go find someone in the real world like in your suburb or at school , Uni, Tafe or College or at a nightclub or pub not in a chatsite.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

28 Jul 2007, 8:16 pm

chatrooms are ghey and full of copers wich is why i never go into them

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2007, 8:31 pm

richardbenson wrote:
chatrooms are ghey and full of copers wich is why i never go into them

They are also an even BIGGER waste of time than forums. I have enough trouble with forums. FORGET chat rooms.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

28 Jul 2007, 8:43 pm

Just say no to chat rooms.

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2007, 12:56 am

dallascowboys

Yes, the internet is a VERY DANGEROUS PLACE to be playing around with a person's emotions. As you said, a person who claims they are in their 20s and female might be a 50-odd year old pervert, but the same can be said for young people (especially 12y-o kids and older) who pretend to be adults. The internet is only as good as the information that is supplied when someone registers for a chatroom (or opens up an ISP account), and unfortunately, there is no real way to police what is put there. Sure, we can expect honesty with the people we are 'talking' to, but with today's society, you just don't know.
Also, don't believe those news bulletins and police drama shows that say someone can be identified by their contributions in chat-rooms etc. With dodgy accounts and limited information in those accounts, it makes being tracked down nigh impossible. Besides, how do you know if the person you are talking to is either a cyber-nasty or not, if a log is either deleted, or never kept in the first place? Programs like mIRC and ICQ are notorious for that. I suggest that everyone should not give out any information that can come back and haunt them, and reserve their judgement (correct spelling: Oxford English Dictionary) with anything they see printed there. The 'net can be useful, but can trap people too.

Karma decides what must happen, and that includes everyone.

dallascowboys
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Jul 2007, 2:29 am

Well said. I agree one hundred percent

ASPERGERSJOHN
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jul 2007, 3:12 am

I am having to have a long hard think if i actually give out too much info over the internet after a few recent situations.

Asparval
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2007, 3:53 am

The_Chosen_One wrote:
.......... 50-odd year old pervert,

Why does everyone always equate age to perversion.

Some 20 year olds have sexual tastes that are 'perverted' from the 'normal'.

I was attracted to the opposite sex at 20.

I was attracted to the opposite sex at 30.

I am now 49 and still attracted to the opposite sex.

When I turn 50 will my normal sexual desires suddenly become perverted?

Will I become a pervert becuase I have turned 50?

I can see the point that pretending to be what you are not is wrong.

It is appropriate (not perverted) for a 50 year old heterosexual to find an attractive 20 year old sexy.

It is not appropriate for them to pretend to be someone else in order to stalk this person.

Since trying to meet women through this site I have had just two add me to their msn and in both cases I checked their profiles etc before I considered allowing or blocking them. I blocked them both because one was 19 and the other 23 (I have clearly stated several times on here that I am 49).

If you are talking about paedophilia then call it what it is but I wish people would stop with this idea that 50 year old men with normal desires are perverted.

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2007, 8:19 am

Twas meant as an example; doesn't mean that all people over 50 are perverts. What it does mean is that no matter what age the person is that is reading the post, they may never really be sure of the actual age (or sex, for that matter) of the person they are 'talking' to. I know with mobile phones (cells, for the non-Antipodeans out there) that with the little cameras in them it can make it easier, but what about older models? And people can use dodgy SIM cards on them to make the phone untraceable. Mobiles should have the SIM built in to the guts of the unit, and only activated when the phone is purchased from the provider. Also, passwords should be mandatory. If the phone is stolen, the SIM won't work without the correct password, and the phone may as well be a mantlepiece ornament.

Unfortunately, the internet has grown too big, and unless websites made it mandatory for people to give correct details (which is pie-in-the-sky), we are just going to have to watch with great caution what we see.

Jimbogf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jul 2007, 11:32 am

I'm just going to come out and say it. (I might get flamed) The internet needs to be abolished, or failing that strict limitations and laws need to be put into place, a total reformation. It is degrading society and ruining people on levels that are unfathomable to most people. The internet is still new, it is a frontier, and what is common with frontiers? Lawlessness, and this lawlessness is affecting everyone across the world all the way down to the physche of every individual.

Freedom of information and knowledge, pfffttt. It spreads ignorance and fear, it surpasses the benefits of knowledge 1000:1. The internet is many many times worse than television (I thought TV was bad). I'd say if you want to learn something, grab a book, you want to socalize? join a club, you want to buy something? go to the store. Hopefully it is not too late for me, lol.

Last edited by Jimbogf on 01 Aug 2007, 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Asparval
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2007, 11:36 am

Jimbogf wrote:
........... Hopefully it is not too late for me.

I'm afraid it is ~ you're on the internet.

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2007, 7:40 pm

LOL! And you're using a computer to get there too!

Bill Gates and others have a lot to answer for (apparently he is an aspie too.... OUCH!)
Modern technology..... Give me that wind-up gramophone and horse drawn buggy. Oh, damn, where did I put my quill and parchment? Oh, there it is, in my roll-top desk with my Gutenburg. :)

psychotic
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Jul 2007, 8:07 pm

I've got a lot of phone numbers on the Internet by being a girl... more people than you would think tend to be gullible...

I would never give anything out (not even first name or sometimes even IP address) because I always feel like the government is spying on me...

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2007, 9:37 pm

Personally, I would never deliberately portray myself as someone of the opposite sex. But in my viewpoint, I would see nothing wrong between a 49 year old and a 19 year old who voluntarily choose to have a relationship. Would it draw condemnation? I am sure it would. But aren't Aspies at 49 or 19 consenting adults(just like NTs) who can make their own decisions about whom to have a relationship with?

Jimbogf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jul 2007, 10:08 pm

The_Chosen_One wrote:
LOL! And you're using a computer to get there too!

Bill Gates and others have a lot to answer for (apparently he is an aspie too.... OUCH!)
Modern technology..... Give me that wind-up gramophone and horse drawn buggy. Oh, damn, where did I put my quill and parchment? Oh, there it is, in my roll-top desk with my Gutenburg. :)

Hehe, Gramophone, nope sorry too much technology. Got to get rid of that too. It's ruining your mind. :wink:

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2007, 10:25 pm

Silver_Meteor wrote:
Personally, I would never deliberately portray myself as someone of the opposite sex. But in my viewpoint, I would see nothing wrong between a 49 year old and a 19 year old who voluntarily choose to have a relationship. Would it draw condemnation? I am sure it would. But aren't Aspies at 49 or 19 consenting adults(just like NTs) who can make their own decisions about whom to have a relationship with?

I agree. I have a friend who is 23 and is dating a guy in his forties. They are really serious, too. They've been dating for a couple of years.
My roommate sophomore year though had been dating a 31 year old guy, and they'd been dating since she was 16 (when he was twenty-eight). That is creepy I think, even though the age difference is smaller than in the above example, because she was underage.