Question about how some use the word Asperger Syndrome.

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2021, 6:56 pm

Some people say that Asperger Syndrome is a form of Autism without developmental delay. But I don't understand what they mean and it sounds contradictory, because Autism Spectrum Disorder is a neurodevelopmental disorder.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2021, 7:09 pm

FranzOren wrote:
Some people say that Asperger Syndrome is a form of Autism without developmental delay. But I don't understand what they mean and it sounds contradictory, because Autism Spectrum Disorder is a neurodevelopmental disorder.

No.

It's 'level one autism without language delay'.

you're high functioning, but you learned to speak at the normal time that must human babies learn to speak.

As opposed to other "high functioning" autistics who DID have a delay in learning to talk while in early childhood.

Either you're mishearing what folks are saying. Or the folks who talk to you about it are confused and dont know WTF theyre talking about.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2021, 7:19 pm

I am sorry that I asked. I just felt confused in the way they describe it, and I felt that is very wrong.

Erebos42
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Nov 2021, 9:04 pm

FranzOren wrote:
I am sorry that I asked. I just felt confused in the way they describe it, and I felt that is very wrong.

Don't feel sorry for asking a question. We all come across concepts that we don't understand right away, or have misconceptions about certain topics that we could use clarification on. It's nothing to be ashamed of.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2021, 9:49 pm

Thanks!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 9:51 am

Sorry. Didnt mean to sound abusive.

It just seemed as if you were the victim of some badly informed person.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 2:11 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Sorry. Didnt mean to sound abusive.

It just seemed as if you were the victim of some badly informed person.

I am not a victim of it, I just find it very annoying about how misinformed some people are about ASD.

ronglxy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Nov 2021, 10:45 am

FrsnzOren: Thanks for your question. I "understand it" and "apprecite it," in/from my world view. However, I'm rather aged and quite new to my Aspie-ness so I definately only partially know WTF I write ! !

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2021, 2:07 pm

I asked this question, because they used Asperger Syndrome and developmental delay in a contradictory way.

I will make kind of like a math equation.

Asperger Syndrome is a form of Autism, and Autism Spectrum Disorder is a neurodevelopmental disorder.

The result is that Asperger Syndrome is a neurodevelopmental disorder. It's just some people think that Asperger Syndrome is a form of Autism without developmental delay, and that makes no sense. If they meant that Asperger Syndrome lacks the diagnostic criteria for speech delay and Intellectual Disability, that would make sense. But another problem is that speech delay and Intellectual Disability can be mild..

I even got confused about the subtypes of Autism, those subtypes of Autism have the same phenomena, but in severity, in terms of communication aspects.

I wish they were moor educated and specific.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2021, 3:35 pm

Yeah...we all got what you were saying.

All forms of autism involve one or more kinds of "developmental delay".

Someone told you that "aspergers is autism without developmental delay" which would amount to saying "aspergers is developmental delay without developmental delay". Which would make no sense.

So you were asking a good question.

The answer being that that is NOT quite what aspergers is. Some autistics have language delay, but aspergians typically do not have that. So it differs by having no language delay.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2021, 3:48 pm

It's just that speech delay can be so mild to the point where some people do get diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome, when they do in fact have speech delay.

ASD makes more sense, because it takes a broad approach, that can help you get the support you need.

I hope that I am explaining it correctly.

CinderashAutomaton
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Nov 2021, 10:18 pm

FranzOren wrote:
I am not a victim of it, I just find it very annoying about how misinformed some people are about ASD.

It's only natural since there's, 1) too many people with no information and limited exposure, 2) too much misinformation because of people wildly guessing because of #1 as well as misportrayals of all mental health issues as a whole in popular media and social culture, and 3) too many lacking information sources online.

When I learned I had AS/ASD a few years ago, I tried in vain to find a satisfactory level of info about what I was dealing with and how to better manage it all. My mental health at the time was poor and those failures completely discouraged me, to the level that it wasn't until like 3-4 years later that I tried again, instead opting to communicate or watch communications (youtube videos) of aspies talking about their first-hand experience and using that to form my own ideas about the condition.

It's not surprising to me, therefor, that people with less investment and motivation in it, who have less personal experience to draw from to understand it, and who are less studious than an academic nerd like myself are having trouble getting a handle on the condition.

Hmm, maybe it'd worthwhile to start a youtube ASD trend where we talk about our experiences as adult autists, using a formal format like 5 broad questions that each individual can answer how they like. The purpose would be to help make some relevant information specifically for adult autists (and the general public as an auxiliary benefit) more visible amidst the mass of poor information and info for parents of autistic children.

Maybe have two formats. A short one designed for point-form answers and a limited time like 5 minutes for people with limited investment (and attention spans), and a longer format with a time limit of say...25 minutes with more freedom to answer broader questions.

What do y'all think?

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2021, 10:23 pm

That is interesting.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 9:02 pm

That is actually not a bad idea. That way we can better educate people about ASD.