Fanatic 68%  68%  [ 13 ]
Indifferent 32%  32%  [ 6 ]
I'll go into a rage if I hear them click 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 19

Erebos42
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Nov 2021, 8:34 pm

Just wondering if there is anyone around who loves pens? I especially like clicker and bolt-action pens, machined out of various metals like zirconium, titanium, or copper. They are my fidget objects of choice, both for the clicking and the tactile feeling of the metals. I also really like Tactile Turn's pens for their texture. (Warning: If you're bothered by the texture of lenticular lenses, then stay away from those pens!)

If I'm writing, its hard to beat a fountain pen with a well tuned gold nib. My handwriting is atrocious, but I love how smooth they glide on the paper. A nice roller-ball cartridge, however, makes a decent second place - plus it's way more convenient.

Last edited by Erebos42 on 21 Nov 2021, 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2021, 8:39 pm

I collect them all the time. I love to write. If money wasn't problem, my dream job would be travel writer.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2021, 9:09 pm

I collect older fountain pens when I can find them at estate sales. There is probably 150 or so of them in my collection. One does have an iridium nib, which is fairly rare. My favorite fountain pen to use in signing documents is an Montblanc Meisterstuck.

Erebos42
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Nov 2021, 9:23 pm

QuantumChemist wrote:
I collect older fountain pens when I can find them at estate sales. There is probably 150 or so of them in my collection. One does have an iridium nib, which is fairly rare. My favorite fountain pen to use in signing documents is an Montblanc Meisterstuck.

My most used fountain pen is definitely my Fireblue Kaweko Liliput. It's small, durable, and low maintenance enough for it to be a fairly convenient EDC pen. I just screw the cap on and toss it in my pocket. I've never had an issue with leaks or the ink drying out (I've let it sit unused for weeks at a time). I did have to put a small pen spring on the back of the ink cartridge to keep it secure, though. Montblanc ink works really well in it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2021, 11:15 pm

I also love pens. I have tons of gel pens.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 6:10 am

I was an early enthusiast of crow-quill pens, because they were fine and affordable. I had one fountain pen. I once got in trouble for calling artwork "pen and ink" because I'd used a ballpoint. Eventually, I acquired an almost-complete set of drafting pens, which are now completely crusted and dusty.
I like a BIC 4-colour pen for mechanical sketching, as it is easy to separate parts by colour, and there's nostalgia in the Letraset tool on top. My other current faves are a wonderful calligraphy pen with some sort of hard-wearing but felt-like tips, with a different size on each end, and caps that fit each other, and a gold-paint pen for highlighting the calligraphy for a full 3-D effect.

CinderashAutomaton
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Nov 2021, 7:57 am

I enjoy pens and they've always been a great comfort stim for me.

That being said, as far as passion goes, I've never really been more than a moderate affectionado. A good pen feels nice but they don't really have that big of an effect on my life...

...except when being forced to use horrid or dried out pens that can barely do the one simple job they're supposed to do. I'm always amazed that so many people just can't wrap their brains around the idea of throwing away unusable pens and buying any of the innumerable inexpensive but not-shit pens.

_cora_
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Nov 2021, 8:34 am

Oooh, I've been wanting to get into pens for a while now. Personally, I'm more of a Sharpie fan because of how satisfying it is to write with a new one, but I have plenty of sparkly pens from the dollar store that impress people. I also have a few super smooth colored ones, that I absolutely LOVE. I have wanted a fountain pen for a while now, but I did try one out and it was super frustrating to write with, but I can see how cool it would be if you got good at it.
I love office supplies in general. I am amazed every year when I go to pick out school supplies, and my mom doesn't seem to care at all and rushes me to pick out pens. I feel like I could stay in that aisle all day. It's so amazing. I don't know why my mom doesn't share the joy of pens. Not relatable.

CinderashAutomaton
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Nov 2021, 9:04 am

Try heavy, thin and short pens. Those are kind of interest. Heavier, thinner pens with a variety of textures and feelings are like super-stims for me. They don't tend to be very visually stimulating, though. Thankfully I'm not to visually focused on such things.

Mechanical pencils with thicker, softer lead are also pretty good. Feels a lot smoother to write with. Less pressure needed and the writing looks a lot better.

Erebos42
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Nov 2021, 9:40 am

_cora_ wrote:
Oooh, I've been wanting to get into pens for a while now. Personally, I'm more of a Sharpie fan because of how satisfying it is to write with a new one, but I have plenty of sparkly pens from the dollar store that impress people. I also have a few super smooth colored ones, that I absolutely LOVE. I have wanted a fountain pen for a while now, but I did try one out and it was super frustrating to write with, but I can see how cool it would be if you got good at it.

I can't stand anything with a felt tip. They're fine when they're fresh, but as soon as they start to dry out they'll start squeaking on the paper. It's similar to the "nails on a chalk board" feeling for me. I hate the feeling so much that just hearing it from someone else writing prompts me to leave the room.

_cora_ wrote:
I love office supplies in general. I am amazed every year when I go to pick out school supplies, and my mom doesn't seem to care at all and rushes me to pick out pens. I feel like I could stay in that aisle all day. It's so amazing. I don't know why my mom doesn't share the joy of pens. Not relatable.

I can relate to this. I like office/school supplies, but especially pens for their high fidget factor.

Erebos42
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Nov 2021, 9:58 am

CinderashAutomaton wrote:
Try heavy, thin and short pens. Those are kind of interest. Heavier, thinner pens with a variety of textures and feelings are like super-stims for me. They don't tend to be very visually stimulating, though. Thankfully I'm not to visually focused on such things.

I especially like heavy pens, with texture on them. Bolt action pens from Tactile Turn are my favorites, as both the texture of the pen and the ability to repeatedly engage the clicking mechanism are highly satisfying for me. They recently came out with a slim model, but I haven't purchased one yet.

Mechanical pencils with thicker, softer lead are also pretty good. Feels a lot smoother to write with. Less pressure needed and the writing looks a lot better.

I'm not a big fan of the feeling of pencil graphite on paper. It's a bit rough, but I can tolerate it. It might be that I'm just not using the right type, I suppose. I prefer something that rolls really smooth, like a Schmidt easyFlow 9000 ink cartridge, or a good rollerball.

Tombow and Montblanc have good rollerballs, but quality can be hit or miss. They will both send replacements if I get a sub-par cartridge, though. I'll usually buy Montblanc over Tombow because I can modify the cartridges to fit pens made for Pilot G2 gel cartridges (like Tactile Turn's standard size pens), although I'm content just using a Pilot G2 cartridge.

CinderashAutomaton
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Nov 2021, 10:33 am

Erebos42 wrote:
I'm not a big fan of the feeling of pencil graphite on paper. It's a bit rough, but I can tolerate it. It might be that I'm just not using the right type, I suppose.

The standard ones pushed the most are usually on the harder size, like H, and sized at 0.5mm. Those ones feel bad. Once you try something like 0.7mm thick with 2B or higher on the hardness scale, it starts to feel a lot better. You even start to feel the graphite slipperiness. Only downside is that you go through it faster and the graphite smudges a little more. On the upside, you don't score the paper as much and its easier to erase more cleanly.

It was fantastic for when I was doing manual drafting in school for mechanical engineering or writing math.

Erebos42
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Nov 2021, 11:06 am

The standard ones pushed the most are usually on the harder size, like H, and sized at 0.5mm. Those ones feel bad. Once you try something like 0.7mm thick with 2B or higher on the hardness scale, it starts to feel a lot better. You even start to feel the graphite slipperiness. Only downside is that you go through it faster and the graphite smudges a little more. On the upside, you don't score the paper as much and its easier to erase more cleanly.

Thanks! I'll try that out sometime.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 4:04 pm

I like pens but i wouldn't say i'ma fanatic.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 5:47 pm

I like pens and pencils.
It also extends to other mediums.

Stayed myself a bit away from various categories of markers or anything that will moderately ghosts anything less thick than a typical 85gsm bond paper.

Mostly because I don't usually have the appropriate mediums to use it often.
It'll be a waste for me to get some, let alone collect.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2021, 7:49 pm

Not at all a pen enthusiast. Whenever I write with a pen, I often get ink on my pinkie finger
and getting the ink off is so annoying! :lol: