Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2022, 12:49 pm

Limiting screen time in infants may decrease risk of autism spectrum disorder, study finds

Quote:
Male toddlers who watched more television at age one were more likely to be diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) at age 3, compared to those without any screen time, according to a recent multi-site Japanese study published in JAMA Pediatrics.

"[A]mid the recent outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, there has been a rapid change in lifestyles, with electronic devices being used as the main channels of communication and social interactions," the authors wrote.

After the team screened approximately 100,00 pregnant women from a large Japanese birth cohort called the Japan Environment and Children’s Study between January 2011 to March 2014 across 15 regional centers, they found 84,030 mother-child pairs appropriate to analyze in December 2020, after excluding participants for missing data, stillbirths, miscarriages and children born with congenital conditions or cerebral palsy, per the study.

At age 3, 0.4% of the children, 76% who were boys, received an autism spectrum diagnosis, noting the proportion of autistic children increased with more screen time, finding boys were three times as likely of being diagnosed with ASD than girls, according to the study.

Although both boys and girls had similar screen time, the study only found an association between screen time and ASD among boys, but not with girls.

More and more parents are using ICT [information and communication technology] devices such as smartphone to raise their children," said lead author Megumi Kushima, research associate, center for birth cohort studies, University of Yamanashi in Japan, and co-author Zentaro Yamagata, who is a professor and director of the center.

They told Fox News, "Of course, there are advantages, but some parents show their children videos for a long time because they are quiet.  This can lead to problems due to the lack of interaction between parents and children.  This study provides scientific evidence for sounding the alarm."

But statistics expert Kristin Sainani, associate teaching professor of epidemiology and population health at Stanford University in California, told Fox News: "Households where 1-year-olds are watching two or more hours of TV a day likely differ in important ways from households where babies watch less TV."

"The paper did not adequately characterize or account for these differences, and thus does not provide strong evidence of a causal link between infant screen time and autism.

The study also noted additional limitations were not knowing the cumulative screen time because of a possible reporting bias, and also their study may be biased towards severe autistic disorder because mild cases are often not diagnosed by age 3.

Association Between Screen Time Exposure in Children at 1 Year of Age and Autism Spectrum Disorder at 3 Years of Age - JAMA Pediatrics

I don't know if I buy this because extensive screen time should not affect only one gender. That said less screen time is a good thing. Easier said than done when you have a screaming baby and you can not figure out what is bothering the kid.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2022, 4:52 pm

I'm skeptical of this. I don't see how increased screen time could raise the risk of a primarily genetic and neurological disorder. Maybe babies w/ autism are more likely to hyperfocus on TV/videos/etc., or their parents just tend to occupy them with those things more often? I apparently got put in front of the TV to occupy me a lot because of my hyperactivity.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2022, 4:59 pm

Quote:
He does not think there is anything the matter with him
because
one of the things that is
the matter with him
is that the does not think that there is anything
the matter with him
therefor
we have to help him realize that,
the fact that he does not think there is anything
the matter with him
is one of the things that is
the matter with him

- R.D. Laing, Knots

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2022, 5:16 pm

I don't think autism is caused by things like that. These days most toddlers I know seem to spend more time looking at the screen of an iPhone or iPad than they do playing with toys. I don't think phones and all that should be used by toddlers, they are devices meant for teenagers and adults. Toddlers don't develop motor skills or social skills properly when looking at a screen all the time. Playing with toys and engaging in physical play with other children are what small children need as part of their development.

I know a 4-year-old who has tantrums whenever the phone battery dies because he's become too addicted to something he shouldn't even have as much as he does.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2022, 7:06 pm

So....

If mom hadnt allowed me to spend so much time on that cingular smart phone I had when I was an infant in 1957 I wouldnt have grown up to be an aspie?

Well dang!

Why didnt Kanner, and Dr. Hans Asperger, think of that in 1940.

Isaac Newton probably played too much Minecraft on the family desk top back in 1689. Of course back then home PCs were a little different. You had to light the pilot light because computers were all gas powered back then. :lol:

And they still used "MySpace" back then!

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2022, 7:59 pm

Dammit, I only had the flip phone in '58! Had to text with the ten digit crap keyboard.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2022, 10:12 am

I would have thought it would depend on the content, on what the screen is showing. And I doubt it increases ASD. Certain television content probably does people harm in various ways, so does excessive viewing of more or less anything, but if you're looking for effects, there are probably far more palpable ones than ASD.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2022, 1:35 pm

FWIW, my family was about the last on the block to get a TV, and then our use of it was rationed. I made my plans using the TV Guide, and was amazed that the variety that showed up when a friend just turned his dial to explore. I have never owned a TV, but I have read Jerry Mander's excellent "Four arguments for the Elimination of Television." TV Guide's reviewer, Cleveland Amory, once summed up the new season's offerings as "a vast wasteland." He got a lot of letters from frustrated viewers who couldn't find "Vast Wasteland."

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2022, 1:42 pm

Dear_one wrote:
FWIW, my family was about the last on the block to get a TV, and then our use of it was rationed. I made my plans using the TV Guide, and was amazed that the variety that showed up when a friend just turned his dial to explore. I have never owned a TV, but I have read Jerry Mander's excellent "Four arguments for the Elimination of Television." TV Guide's reviewer, Cleveland Amory, once summed up the new season's offerings as "a vast wasteland." He got a lot of letters from frustrated viewers who couldn't find "Vast Wasteland."

It'll probably get a reboot with Seth Rogen or Zooey Deschanel. And a lot of socio-economic finger-pointing to show you how enlightened it is.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2022, 1:47 pm

HighLlama wrote:
It'll probably get a reboot with Seth Rogen or Zooey Deschanel. And a lot of socio-economic finger-pointing to show you how enlightened it is.

I don't know of those people, but I do enjoy the music of Mountain, singing "Theme for an Imaginary Western."

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2022, 3:06 pm

My instinct is that it's a correlation more so than causation. More screen time means less direct parental involvement. My mom is Autistic and ensured I didn't do screen time (when young). I am Autistic and I ensured my kids didn't do screen time (when young). Meanwhile, I have my NT mom-friend who lets her Autistic son watch it all the time (since age 1): "It occupies him." Ummmmmm, there are a whole lot of other ways to occupy a child rather than just silencing the child. It may be hard work without the screen (we would take my kids outside a restaurant to play while waiting for food) but it's an investment in that child's future.

RE: Hyperfocus ---- yep, my Autistic daughter will absolutely spend HOURS on screen time if without an "executor", while my non-autistic son will step away frequently and do other things.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2022, 6:00 pm

SharonB wrote:
My instinct is that it's a correlation more so than causation. More screen time means less direct parental involvement.

Sounds plausible. It's a very labour-effective way for parents to keep their kids from getting bored, and if it's done to excess, it's probably a sign that they don't really want to be parents.

My son grew up in the absence of live television, though he watched quite a lot of videos, which I watched with him for probably over half his screen time. As most of it was recorded from live transmissions, we would always fast-forward through the ads. Later on he started making his own movies with a camcorder, and I helped him develop the process of stop-motion animation with Plasticine figures, toys and drawings. He probably has a bit of ASD, but he's earning more than I ever did, and his live-in relationship with his partner has lasted longer than my cohabitations did when I was his age.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2022, 8:00 pm

^ Glad your son is doing well. Kudos to you for your part in that. I'm hoping in a decade or I get to see that my (ASD) daughter is faring better than I did. :) (I know it's not easy, but if it's easier in some ways, that's a win!)