Wouldn't constant noise make one suicidal?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

noisserped
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Nov 2021, 8:44 pm

I thought this because it's the first time that there's somehow some small noises at night... which aren't otherwise not blockable, but if there's noise in the day, and noise at night, constantly... what is the point of living, honestly? It's my definition of hell...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 8:48 pm

You should move into a very rural area.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 8:50 pm

Some people seem to be better able to tune noise out than others. Take tinnitus, for example … I’ve learned to tune it out, until someone mentions the word “tinnitus” and their experience of it. Then, I hear mine, loud and clear. If noise is ever bothering me, if I’m able to, I’ll remove myself from it, or put some headphones & music on. If it’s the sound of a waterfall … or waves crashing onto the shoreline … I’d turn the volume up and lose myself in it!

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 10:52 pm

homocidal

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 11:06 pm

Misophonia plus Tinnitus. :?:
Plus poor sensory gestalt/filter, poor acclimating or desensitization (or even the lack of ability to), and poor tolerance to perform intense focus to filter everything distracting which is at least optional.

:?: :?: :?:

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2021, 11:49 pm

I think it depends on what the noise is. Some noises drive me guano insane but other noises are lovely. I could listen to a inline 4 screaming at 11k all day.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

CinderashAutomaton
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Nov 2021, 12:29 am

noisserped wrote:
I thought this because it's the first time that there's somehow some small noises at night... which aren't otherwise not blockable, but if there's noise in the day, and noise at night, constantly... what is the point of living, honestly? It's my definition of hell...

It has the potential for it, yes, among other potentially fatal problems.

I went through some pretty egregious noise disturbances that gave me several major issues, but I learned how to deal with the noise.

My solutions are to move location, block the noise with sound baffles, or overpower it with a louder and consistent noise screen (your brain reacts to the changes, so anything stable regardless of volume can get tuned out).

Asking people to be considerate of your condition has... mixed success, usually on the side of failure. It typically depends on what they'd have to lose if they don't comply vs the inconvenience of accommodating you, and how good they are at establishing new habits.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2021, 5:36 pm

I've found some Ambient/Space music to be helpful. And Trance music.

I can't use the music to drown out the annoying other noises...that would just make things worse. But it might make your ears a little happier.

Personally, I am very fond of music by Steve Roach, and anyone he has collaberated with. Your taste could differ.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2021, 1:38 pm

Few places are truly silent. If the birds stop singing, people say it is "too quiet" - the birds are worried about something hunting for them, or possibly children. I can get the same reassurance from a steady flow of freeway traffic, even with occasional sirens. Houses with the sound of surf or falling water are premium priced.
However, if you are disturbed by a sound, you can get into a feedback loop where it irritates you more and more. This is a major danger if you are already tired. The only cure I've found for that is geographical. However, I also sleep much better if I know that I have a trusted roommate or other friend who will respond first to any actual threats.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2021, 10:59 pm

I thrive on constant noise. That's why I have my music playing all the time.

noisserped
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Nov 2021, 10:50 am

Music, or birds, are surely not noise... it's by definition not melodious, and something that surely only humans are worst at.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 11:55 am

I'm stuck in a metal fab workshop for a bug chunk of my week and I'm still alive. I don't find noise that bat but there needs to be a finite end to it once the day is done.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 11:58 am

There are "anechoic chambers" which are extremely quiet. Most people can only stand to be in them for about 20 minutes. The record is held by a sailor from an Aircraft carrier, who had been living with a constant din for a long time.

CinderashAutomaton
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Nov 2021, 12:35 pm

noisserped wrote:
Music, or birds, are surely not noise... it's by definition not melodious, and something that surely only humans are worst at.

From my understanding, noise is any sound that may interfere with or is extraneous from sounds which may be desirable or important.

Dear_one wrote:
There are "anechoic chambers" which are extremely quiet. Most people can only stand to be in them for about 20 minutes. The record is held by a sailor from an Aircraft carrier, who had been living with a constant din for a long time.

I don't put much stock in those claims. I haven't seen any credible claims, just rumors.

I can see it being uncomfortable for people who've never experienced any proper hardship, or just boring and unpleasant for people that don't have great patience or never meditate.

That being said, I can also see it having the potential to cause auditory hallucinations. A complete loss of signaling from the ears is no doubt a very unusual phenomenon that our brains might have trouble dealing with in the best way.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 11:25 pm

My very mellow friend mentioned today that when he used to live on the beach, there were times during storms when conversations had to be shouted almost into each other's ears to be heard. This did not seem to be a problem, except that it might have been a danger tending to deafness.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 11:45 pm

Edna3362 wrote:
Misophonia plus Tinnitus. :?:

This. I have both.

My Tinnitus is a high-pitched, bilateral, full-brain, multi-tone, fax machine extravaganza mixed with mosquitoes on crack, radiation in a glass jar, and helium-drugged cicadas scraping razorblades on a chalkboard.

24/7

There's no such thing as silence.

Last edited by IsabellaLinton on 30 Nov 2021, 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.