Wouldn't constant noise make one suicidal?

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

AngelL
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Nov 2021, 11:59 pm

To the original question, "Wouldn't Constant Noise Make One Suicidal?" I would like to make, what I think, is an important distinction. I would say that no, constant noise wouldn't make a person suicidal but... it could certainly make a person contemplate it. I suppose, as diverse as people are, anything could make a person contemplate suicide. The answer a person comes back with after they contemplate it - that's about the person, not the problem.

I don't know how you feel about this but all the sensory issues I have, sound was always my biggest problem. I started meditating and practicing mindfulness and I don't really know how to describe it but I found a space inside me that I can retreat to. It's not like it's quiet, the noise is right there; I can hear it...but it's like it can't touch me. It doesn't always work but it does most of the time. On those times it doesn't work, what seems to matter isn't how bad the noise is - but how spun out I am when I started.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2021, 12:00 am

Unfortunately, many people have taken their lives because of Tinnitus.

noisserped
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Dec 2021, 10:52 am

I only have minor tinnitus occasionally, but I presume at least it's not humans collectively saying "we will impose and destroy your life because we can"... the amount of sadism in the world is unbelievable, with noise being the tip of the iceberg...

AngelL, I got to that state once by using drugs, but I never managed it again... there was a stream of cars that seemed miles away (despite being 20m or so), and seagulls for some reason... and the seagulls just filled my entire consciousness, and then I merged with a tree... 8O

AngelL
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Dec 2021, 2:10 pm

noisserped wrote:
AngelL, I got to that state once by using drugs, but I never managed it again... there was a stream of cars that seemed miles away (despite being 20m or so), and seagulls for some reason... and the seagulls just filled my entire consciousness, and then I merged with a tree... 8O

Heck, I'm just glad at least one person understood my description! :)

CinderashAutomaton
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Dec 2021, 4:01 pm

AngelL wrote:
To the original question, "Wouldn't Constant Noise Make One Suicidal?" I would like to make, what I think, is an important distinction. I would say that no, constant noise wouldn't make a person suicidal but... it could certainly make a person contemplate it. I suppose, as diverse as people are, anything could make a person contemplate suicide. The answer a person comes back with after they contemplate it - that's about the person, not the problem.

A sufficient amount of one type or another of suffering over a long enough time WILL change a person in a very involuntary way.

I remember back when the show House was at the height of popularity, there was an episode of a very nice family man who was suffering from intense chronic pain. It turned him into a very nasty person. Once the doctors solved the problem he returned back to normal.

I can tell you from personal experience that it isn't just a dramatic gimmick.
If I hadn't learned ways to manage the aggravators before reaching my limits, I wouldn't be here today.

Yes, I agree that some people may be more susceptible to suicidal impulse, but I also believe that everyone has a limit. I'm talking about actually taking action, mind you. The benchmark for suicidal thoughts is far lower, well within reach of sensory issues.

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: "I know there's nothing we can do. But my heart can't accept it." "If this is real, then I want to change the future."

04 Dec 2021, 4:51 pm

I used constant rain noise, night and day to block my neighbor cussing, probably building a coffin for his new gf since she disappeared and getting into the bathroom at the same time as me and anyone else who does when they come here to angrily complain s**t smells and flush for no reason. I didn't really go insane, it was better.

Any topic, PM me; mind my profile.