Page 10 of 10 [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Three Point Two
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Mar 2022, 8:35 pm

mohsart wrote:
carlos55 wrote:
About half of autistic people have an IQ below average which is 85

That's the nature of "average", about half the population is below and half above.

/Mats

Yep. That's why we should ask for the median as well.

Relax_on_Standby
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Mar 2022, 11:38 pm

I'm not sure if I can trust IQ tests, I don't think the test is dynamic enough to account for the variables in which individuals process thoughts. Also take in account whether an autistic person is having sensory issues while being tested. My IQ test in middle school was between 130-140 from what I remember and honestly I'm an idiot.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2022, 12:55 am

I've done very little of any value with mine.The very high scores I mention are just temporary ego boosters. They're a way of pretending I'm not a total failure.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2022, 1:53 am

the combination of IQ and EQ is, as they say, a "getter."

HiccupHaddock
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Mar 2022, 1:06 pm

Dear all,

Have you come across the term 'twice exceptional'? I think it refers to the people who have some neurodiversity (e.g. autism, ADHD, etc.) but have some strong abilities in certain areas.

There is a professor of biology in Imperical College London called Sara Rankin who has dyslexia and said she was considered 'stupid' by teachers at school, but now she says her unusual mind lets her make insights and see links others miss.

She is trying to make programmes to help and encourage secondary school students with neurodiversities to value and develop themselves, and also she is encouraging lots of employers (especially in science, engineering areas) to realise the huge value of people with neurodiversities who have different types of brains so can make contributions others might miss.

There is a nice talk by Sara Rankin here: https://embl-ebi.cloud.panopto.eu/Panop ... 6500ca1528

Be interested to hear what you think about it..

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2022, 3:11 pm

^I came across the term about 2 decades ago.At the time the only official dx I had was schizoaffective mixed type. I suspected there was more than just the schizoaffective , but my then mental health tram put everything down to the mental illness.

I had learnt to read by the age of 3.5 or so, and was looking at children's encyclopaedias before I went to school.
However was not the archetypal gifted child/teenager. The 8 year old who was in a class for those who were 12, for example. My prep school headmaster described me as 'not particularly intelligent'. I was more a B- type than an A+ type.

A few years ago my father told me this. Image Image

That was pre teen. Some time between 1965-1968. Tests created by a psychometrician over the last couple of years give a very similar result.

Whatever potential I had was destroyed years ago. Firstly by severe verbal bullying, and then by years of pdocs, and other mental health pros, thinking that constantly criticising me was a good proxy for help and support.

My current mental health team I can't find fault with at all. However they can't reverse the damage of the past. It's not always easy accepting how things are compared to how they could/should have been.

HiccupHaddock

30 Mar 2022, 2:46 pm

Yes, it does sound like you would probably be called 'twice exceptional' nowadays.

I'm sad you had such bad experiences with bullying and mental health professionals, that is such a pity with your obvious strengths and intelligence that you did not get proper support and help to develop your strengths.

I would really hope that a child like you were would receive more support nowadays. Though I suspect that there are still many children who 'fall through the cracks' in terms of receiving the support they deserve.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2022, 4:19 pm

^ Thank you for that kind reply.