Page 5 of 10 [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2021, 11:38 pm

i was referring to my army time, sorry i didn't make it clear.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2021, 12:46 am

auntblabby wrote:
the healthier/taller/richer/happier/more socially successful. that is what the book said. IMHO, i have serious doubts about the "happier" part. in my experience, the smarter one is, the more one IDs stuff to defeat happiness.

That's been debunked. Higher IQ doesn't mean greater happiness.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2021, 12:47 am

cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
the healthier/taller/richer/happier/more socially successful. that is what the book said. IMHO, i have serious doubts about the "happier" part. in my experience, the smarter one is, the more one IDs stuff to defeat happiness.

but they tend strongly to have all the accoutrements of happiness, things that inspire envy in the rest of us.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2021, 12:51 am

auntblabby wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

but they tend strongly to have all the accoutrements of happiness, things that inspire envy in the rest of us.

The relationship isn't causal.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2021, 12:52 am

cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

can you please elaborate?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2021, 12:54 am

auntblabby wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

There is some correlation between IQ and happiness but correlation is not causation.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2021, 1:04 am

cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

There is some correlation between IQ and happiness but correlation is not causation.

ah so :) they have the accoutrements of happiness at least, the potential is there as they are not saddled with the happiness-blocking grind of having to work for a living, they live lives of leisure which at least opens the channels for happiness to enter.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2021, 1:32 am

Perhaps IQ is a gateway to social acceptance

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2021, 1:39 am

cyberdad wrote:

What planet do you live on?

IQ is a barrier, topped with spikes, to social acceptance.

A low IQ combined with a high EQ wins social acceptance.
But a high EQ can also help overcome the handicap of having a high IQ in social acceptance.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2021, 4:31 am

naturalplastic wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

What planet do you live on?

IQ is a barrier, topped with spikes, to social acceptance.

A low IQ combined with a high EQ wins social acceptance.
But a high EQ can also help overcome the handicap of having a high IQ in social acceptance.

Last time I checked on planet earth, people with a low IQ aren't well represented among upwardly socially mobile individuals. I was infact politely pointing out that IQ alone is not a great indicator when you butted in.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2021, 6:28 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Decoding written language is part of verbal, not non-verbal IQ.

Anything related to words is Verbal, even if the words are in print form.

Non-verbal measures our ability to see spatial patterns (shapes, colours, faces, sequences).

"Nonverbal intelligence describes thinking skills and problem-solving abilities that do not fundamentally require verbal language production and comprehension. This type of intelligence involves manipulating or problem solving about visual information and may vary in the amount of internalized, abstract, or conceptual reasoning and motor skills that are required to complete a task. Nonverbal intelligence is often closely linked with the Performance IQ domain of intellectual ability tests that evaluates nonverbal abilities, a domain which is often viewed in comparison to the Verbal IQ domain."

My instinct is that my (and my daughter's) decoding is an extension of our visual and system intelligence. It was noted I read quickly but even after reading something three times (too rapidly?), I didn't get it. I checked my WAIS: "Very Superior" for Perceptional Reasoning, Processing Speed, but "disabled" by Verbal Comprehension. My FSIQ was invalid since my VIQ was 25 points lower than my PIQ. Fairly ASD like if you ask my Evaluator. It would be nice if my daughter and I could hold intelligent conversations with other people. Sigh. At best we have the mumbling, bumbling professor stereotype to help us. Other people: "Gee, she must be really smart b/c she her complex concepts and thoughts defy words" and also "Gee, she must be really dumb b/c she can't put two words together". My grandmother "saw" words and felt them. I would bet her PIQ was likewise high and her VIQ was low -- too busy watching the words to be able to communicate effectively with them. RIP, Grandma --- misunderstood (and institutionalized).

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2021, 6:46 pm

One time, when I was 15, my VIQ was 60 points higher than my PIQ.

The gap has closed in adulthood. My VIQ is still about 10 points higher than my PIQ, though.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2021, 7:03 pm

cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

That’s certainly true, in terms of high IQ, although having a low IQ usually means a harder life of limitation causing more psychological stress so less happiness.

Maybe there’s a Goldilocks number

- George Bernie Shaw

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2021, 8:18 pm

I posted this link on another thread but it's probably relevant here too.
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/paren ... 263beb26f9

The boy was tested by a paediatrician and was told he needed to go to special school was too low functioning to ever have a normal life.

Fast forward 17 years and he's the smartest kid in the biggest state in Australia.

When it comes it IQ how you classify a child isn't set in stone and IQ can (apparently) change over time.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2021, 9:58 pm

it does seem to be a case of extreme parental enrichment for their slow child, which sped him up a great deal.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2021, 10:01 pm

auntblabby wrote:
it does seem to be a case of extreme parental enrichment for their slow child, which sped him up a great deal.

There's that, but I credit the kid with doing the "hard yards" in terms of self-motivation and effort.