Being able to live alone as an adult with Asperger etc.

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2021, 6:28 am

I left home at 19, had to learn about things like balancing a check book, how to budget, meal planning and shopping, how to safely store and cook foods, basic home maintenance and things like how to fix a blown electric circuit, light a pilot light, unclog a drain. There are many skills that can be learned now before you are on your own which will help you survive and thrive. Most of them can be found at libraries, on line pages, and youtube. Online and youtube was in the future when I left the nest in 1970.
I was unprepared, but I learned as I went along, some of it is just experience... we are always un-selfconfident when we are doing new things. (at least I am) Still living independently at age 70. so far so good. cheering you on.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

BlossX
Toucan
Toucan

14 Dec 2021, 4:03 pm

autisticelders wrote:
I left home at 19, had to learn about things like balancing a check book, how to budget, meal planning and shopping, how to safely store and cook foods, basic home maintenance and things like how to fix a blown electric circuit, light a pilot light, unclog a drain. There are many skills that can be learned now before you are on your own which will help you survive and thrive. Most of them can be found at libraries, on line pages, and youtube. Online and youtube was in the future when I left the nest in 1970.
I was unprepared, but I learned as I went along, some of it is just experience... we are always un-selfconfident when we are doing new things. (at least I am) Still living independently at age 70. so far so good. cheering you on.

thank you for sharing your story, I found it interesting and quite useful as well! :heart:

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2021, 5:26 pm

I lived on my own from 1976 until 2000. My biggest complaint was that I was alone...it took me until 2000 to marry.

Except for not having a Significant Other, I was rather happy living alone. I was fortunate that I had an aptitude for a special interest that allowed me to be gainfully employed: computers.

My lifestyle seemed odd to others, however. My home was minimally furnished...I liked it, others thought it strange. The first time my future bride came to my home and went into the kitchen her jaw dropped...she couldn't see how I could survive on what was in the kitchen (from my vantage point I was quite happy, I could go into the kitchen and quickly get a meal I liked!).

P.S. I now have extremely limited kitchen privileges. But there is one shelf of "husband food" and a small supply of things I would want to use in the refrigerator—she prefers to feed me but when she can't I'm just fine.