When Special Intetests are Global Interests

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ronglxy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Dec 2021, 11:19 am

When are "Special Interests" Global Interests?"

Or are they ever? Statistically some must be!

If they are so, then what happens? Is it NT-ish?

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2021, 11:42 am

:?: Define "Global Interest"?

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2021, 11:58 am

Geo-politics, espionage?

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2021, 12:29 pm

I think by "global" Ronglxy means "universal", or "common". As opposed some weird niche thing only a few are interested in.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2021, 12:39 pm

There's Arts & Crafts. A lot of people take part in that hobby.

There's The Kinks. A lot of music lovers have a band that they're extremely crazy about.

There's the 60s which is still the most popular decade.

There's the Internet. Most people love the Internet.

The Olympics both summer and winter. Over a billion people around the world watch The Olympics.

ronglxy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Dec 2021, 1:53 pm

Caught in the undefinability trap(s) once again. Such a familiar panicy joy!! So . . .

1) What you would consider it to be for youself.
2) What you would consider it to be for another.
3) What you would consider it to be for all others.
4) What you want your tax $$$'s to pay for.
5) What philosophy-ing should answer.
n) What inclined WP'ers should team to do.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2021, 2:02 pm

ronglxy wrote:
Caught in the undefinability trap(s) once again. Such a familiar panicy joy!! So . . .

1) What you would consider it to be for youself.
2) What you would consider it to be for another.
3) What you would consider it to be for all others.
4) What you want your tax $$$'s to pay for.
5) What philosophy-ing should answer.
n) What inclined WP'ers should team to do.

I think you just made that all more confusing. I would say a special interest could relate to a common one, as CockneyRebel illustrated. But, if you are on the spectrum then you will probably be far more focused on the minutia of said interest. For example, knowing the record labels and release dates for everything your favorite band has put out, and so on.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2021, 2:10 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
There's the Internet. Most people love the Internet.

And 80% of the internet is comprised of....well, yooou knoooow... :cyclops: :pl: :cyclopsani: :bounce: :pale: I think we've just found the most universal, global 'special interest.'

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2021, 2:10 pm

I think video games are a pretty common interest, though I still have a niche interest specifically for Nintendo games (and even more specifically, The Legend of Zelda games). It seems like even my "normal" interests still end up very narrow in focus.

ronglxy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Dec 2021, 5:05 pm

For all wanted/needed "things," if they are globally wanted enough, or wanted fixed enough, then it's possible to earn money for doing so.

Doing such things unusually, might be AS enough to fit some SI's into such work. But can SI holders be teamed so? And if they can be in principle, will it happen in fact by AS types globally?

I want to know for more than just me, tho it seems to have happened to me via sem-directed SI swapings and tuneings.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2021, 6:57 pm

Music - seems to me that's as global as it gets. Though the recording technology I get into can be very local indeed, chiefly because I'm forever trying to save money by using my own crafty tricks to get a silk purse out of a sow's ear, and I've been getting sucked into that game all my life. I don't know of anybody who works in the same way as I do.

Still, the global aspect of the special interest has proved invaluable. I've often said that without it you could fit my social life onto the back of a postage stamp. I didn't plan it that way, the whole fascination with music just seemed to happen by accident. I remember going out of fashion for a while when the 60s were just over and there was a bit of a reaction against it. There I was, still listening to The Beatles while everybody else was "moving on." But the world came back to my way of thinking, so I fitted in again. Now you can hardly move for 60s tribute bands. And I mellowed too, so these days I'm interested in most styles of music, and I have a lot in common with the world.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2021, 7:08 pm

Sports
TV
Pets or animals
Cookery
Shopping
Fashion and beauty
Cars
Media
Gardening
Handiwork
Charity
Art
Religion
Celebrities
Literature (reading and writing)
Music
Computers and internet
Health and fitness
Photography
Traveling and vacations
Christmas

...the list goes on...are all things NTs are interested in, plus more that I haven't written down. Sports, TV, fitness, celebrities fashion, cooking, music, traveling and the internet are common NT 'special interests'.

Stereotyping NTs as only being interested in gossip and nothing else is just as irritating as stereotyping autistics as only being interested in trains. NTs have personal interests too. My dad is NT but is more obsessed with football than I am at anything. Football is his life. He'd even put football before his family.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2021, 9:15 pm

I see.

If a special interest turns out to be a global interest defined as a common human interest... :lol: Some might say it's a 'female autistic trait' or something.

But sure I have something like that.
Crafting is a major lifelong special interest of mine, and it branches itself overtime instead of specializing to one or few.

I think interest itself is only more socially acceptable, not necessarily more NT-like.
A global interest as a special interest is not the basis of making it NT-ish, but the expression of said interests.

"Show, don't tell" is a bit amiable. Expressing it in an icebreaker on passing is NT-like.
Infodumping it without external cues? That's veering away a little.

Talking about a common interest with something very obscured facts, stats and details in it without asking? It gets confusing.

Yet always veer the conversation towards said interest, blurting it out loud at random, perhaps practically the only thing to talk about or reply in references?
Hmm... It takes skill and great timing to make that seem socially acceptable.
Or the right people to decode that and decide it's an acceptable expression and response.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

ronglxy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Dec 2021, 11:46 pm

My experience was analogous to the reports of some Fortune 500 folks collecting ASD/AS "types" as super-performer, "out-of-the-box" thinkers, jammed into NT managed "miracles might happen" paradigms.

Analogous to, but not! With me as the very NT-ed "team's" accidental participant, who seems to have been a self-ignorant AS/ASD type, with a female (so-called) AS/ASD-shock coping style, prone to "ignorable" dissociation, it could have been.

It no way could have ever been had I been "discovered." So was it my masking me, my NT fakery me, the NT patience with the weird-wierd, or was it just garden variety AS/ASD let alone to kindof naturally be?

And the "not fun" experience got me to wondering: What exacactly happened and could it be replicated and "dis-NT-ed?"

ronglxy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Dec 2021, 11:14 am

Hmm! I've made a tangled mess of only one man's too many details journey. Such is life, I'm told, but don't accept. Merry Holidays to all!

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2021, 8:01 pm

For me, a special interest is more restricted and not as rational in the restrictions as it may be with a NT interest.

/Mats