Cannabis oil can help treat autism symptoms - Israeli study

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2021, 8:15 am

Jerusalem Post

Quote:
Scientists from Tel Aviv University demonstrated the positive effect of cannabis oils in animal models in a laboratory.

Recently, medical cannabis oils have been administered to children on the autism spectrum in Israel, and the therapy has sparked growing interest, but no significant clinical study has been conducted to test its positive effects and understand the mechanism behind them, Prof. Daniel Offen said.

The TAU researchers focused on autism caused by the mutation of a specific gene, Shank3, which is behind about 1% of overall cases

We also tried to administer the animal models oils containing no CBD at all but just a small quantity of THC, and to our surprise, we obtained even more positive results,” Offen said.

The team believes the positive effects recorded in the study might be attributed only to THC and not to CBD.
In addition, they were also able to understand how the oil managed to have an impact on the mice, registering what mechanisms in the neurological system were affected and which neurotransmitters were influenced by the oil in the brain, in the spinal cord and elsewhere.

“This is, of course, an initial study,” Poleg said.

“We observed significant improvement in behavioral tests following treatments with cannabis oil containing small amounts of THC and observed no long-term effects in cognitive or emotional tests conducted a month and a half after the treatment began.”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2021, 9:34 pm

I don't know, but I strongly suspect cannabis is helpful to some people who have ASD, for damping down the sensory issues.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2021, 11:06 pm

This makes sense , as in the distant past had been around other autists , whom I knew had used cannibus and they seemed much less socially impaired than myself and other . Autistics present .

where ever you go ,there you are

AngelL
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Dec 2021, 6:42 pm

There is no better way to turn a good idea into 'junk science' by reporting "no long-term effects" on a month and a half worth of data. Based on that decision, I'd be interested in knowing more about the 'behavioral tests'.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2021, 7:11 pm

Very good point about turning something into junk science, as written about in the above post ,!

where ever you go ,there you are