Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jul 2007, 1:44 pm

I dont know waht I am!

Quirk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jul 2007, 1:53 pm

I don't know today. I'm going to th dr. tomorrow. My journey begins...

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Jul 2007, 1:57 pm

i get better and better socalizing, i have friends, chill on weekends, decent life, but i dont feel their is a borderline, im not sure, everywhere i look they say its impossible to be 'upgraded' if u will, once on the spectrum always on the spectrum, ill always have my qwarks, but done well despite. I hope the same for everyone else, perhapse even better.

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2007, 2:02 pm

I don't know what I am... I don't have a solid enough memory about my formative years to say for certain that I have AS.

And lately... while I have many symptoms... through thinking and experience I can manage decently in most social situations.

I don't know if I have AS or Avoidant personality disorder with Inattentive ADHD. Or perhaps a mixture.

Either way, I relate to those here...

Wanting more than what I have might appear as greed.

RockoTDF
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jul 2007, 3:18 pm

Thats me as well

RockoTDF
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jul 2007, 3:19 pm

Thats me as well

RockoTDF
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jul 2007, 3:20 pm

Thats me as well

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2007, 3:27 pm

Hmmm. I was told I was one standard deviation above the cutoff for having aspergers, which wasn't terribly all that much. The same psych who diagnosed me initially expressed surprise that I thought I had asperger's so I guess that would make me about borderline.

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2007, 3:37 pm

I've had days where I thought I could be...then the illusion shatters or (in the past) I've sobered up and faced reality.

I can pull off a pretty good NT act when need be...just not for an extended period of time. :wink:

notnormal
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Jul 2007, 3:42 pm

I guess I'm borderline because I can basically work in social situations but my AS traits have been with me my whole life. I have grown out of some of them..

When I was 10 or so, for almost a year I had repetative touching. If I touched something, I had to touch it again to make it even, then I had to touch it 4 times, then 8 and so on. I remember shaking the hand of a friend of my dad's, and I had to touch his skin a second time. My dad told me afterwards that his friend, who was black and I am white, might have taken it the wrong way. That behaviour only lasted a year or two.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2007, 3:43 pm

I took an internet test suggested on this forum and it said I had the same degree of AS and NT, whatever that means.

I don't think I'm borderline AS. I think some traits are extremely pronounced in me, and others almost non-existent.

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2007, 3:45 pm

notnormal wrote:
I guess I'm borderline because I can basically work in social situations but my AS traits have been with me my whole life. I have grown out of some of them..

When I was 10 or so, for almost a year I had repetative touching. If I touched something, I had to touch it again to make it even, then I had to touch it 4 times, then 8 and so on. I remember shaking the hand of a friend of my dad's, and I had to touch his skin a second time. My dad told me afterwards that his friend, who was black and I am white, might have taken it the wrong way. That behaviour only lasted a year or two.

I used to trace things with my eyes, particularly when riding in a car. For example if I was tracing a stop sign, I'd start with the top of the octagon, go around, then move to the next slant, go around. I was a bit "perturbed" if I didn't get to trace the whole thing, and then do it backwards to "undo" it before the object was out of sight. Gosh, I must have looked quite crazy to anyone who chanced observing my eyes

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

30 Jul 2007, 3:47 pm

notnormal wrote:

When I was 10 or so, for almost a year I had repetative touching. If I touched something, I had to touch it again to make it even, then I had to touch it 4 times, then 8 and so on.

I had the same. If I was playing a game of pinball, I had to flip the right flipper to counteract flipping the left one.

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

psychotic
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jul 2007, 4:32 pm

I've had ADHD since I was born, OCD started being evident when I was 5 or so... the thing that affects me the most today in the most ways is definitely OCD... rather than calling myself avoidant personality, compulsive hoarder, body dysmorphic, anorexic, myosophobic, hypochondriac, etc... it explains me well enough except for a few leftover things...

THE leftover stuff... I'm probably schizotypal enough to get that diagnosis, but apparently I'm not autistic enough to get even a PDD-NOS... so if I went to 100 shrinks, probably all would diagnose me as ADHD and OCD and some might add a personality disorder or maybe the specific OCD things that affect me... yeah that's pretty much how it goes for me... but I defintiely can relate to a lot of the things mentioned here even though I don't have AS...

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2007, 5:03 pm

i dont know what i have for sure... but id say yes, just cause i can pass for not-so-weird (whatever weirdness i may be)

i think i have AS for the stimming and other non-sequitar thought/verbal processes and conversational avenues i seem to have/prefer... and hobbies... i was always doing something as a kid!

and like today... when i was sitting with my postdoc-overloard, going over my powerpoint presentation... for 3.5 hours straight!! !! !

i was rocking and bouncing by 2 hours......

things like that plus my other personal accents is what makes me think i have AS... if it werent for those, id say i probably just have a mild NVLD (based off of official IQ tests and other standardized test scores).

ive sought out minimal confirmation of my suspicions... but do not have the means to pursue a DX atm... i mainly just sat down with an expert and talked to her why i thought i should be there and about my childhood. but all we got to was that i should come in for further analysis... especially since i (myeslf) had brought up the possiblitiy of just NVLD...

i dunno if i want testing as im prolly borderline enough to get by (and lucky enough to have a career and interest allign with eachother)

edit: i still kinda consider NVLD because i have real spatial learning issues... i have lived in my current town for ~ 3yrs and i still get lost going to the places that i even go to on a quazi regular basis... i get lost in stores all the time... and i have trouble immediatley being able to read graphs... which sucked while i was teaching as it made me appear a dumbass that didnt know what i was doing (in front of students) at times.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Last edited by Sedaka on 30 Jul 2007, 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.