Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Jimbogf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jul 2007, 12:18 am

Considering how detached I am sometimes from 'reality', ie in my own world. Common sense in this reality isn't very strong, especially with interacting with people. Does that mean I have no sense? I don't think so.

Like Greentea, I kind of have my own sense. My beliefs and behaviours don't usually follow the typical 'common sense' belief's and behaviours of the majority.

karasu
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jul 2007, 6:52 am

I have a distinct memory of being a kid playing on a swingset and my mother telling me, "You have no common sense."

I've believed it all my life, though now I kind of wonder. I'm starting to think this "common sense" thing may be a myth. It isn't so much having sense as it is not doing weird things that other people don't understand. Now thanks to observation I know what those things are, and can choose whether I wish to do them or not.

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

31 Jul 2007, 12:34 pm

Quoting Albert Einstein:

Quote:
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."

Quoting Eric Fromm:

Quote:
de omnibus dubitandum; everything must be doubted, particularly the ideological concepts which are virtually shared by everybody and have consequently assumed the role of indubitable commonsensical axioms.

I have uncommon sense and glad of it.

ping-machine
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2007, 3:34 am

Hmph! :evil: :evil:

"Common sense" is just an excuse for people not to think about the reasons for what they think and not to explain their position. They just say "it's common sense" and somehow we're supposed to accept that without question like it's some kind of divine ordinance and nobody has to bother with explanations or definitions? That's BS. "Common sense" is just an excuse for stupid, lazy people to continue being stupid and lazy.

Common sense? No such thing.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2007, 6:23 am

ping-machine wrote:
Hmph! :evil: :evil:

"Common sense" is just an excuse for people not to think about the reasons for what they think and not to explain their position. They just say "it's common sense" and somehow we're supposed to accept that without question like it's some kind of divine ordinance and nobody has to bother with explanations or definitions? That's BS. "Common sense" is just an excuse for stupid, lazy people to continue being stupid and lazy.

Common sense? No such thing.

That quote from Einstein was more correct than you. You are right in that MANY stupid people try to use the term "Common Sense" to explain stupidity. But they are too stupid to know better.

"Common Sense" is supposed to refer to how to avoid obvious and/or learned problems. It is things like staying away from fire, electricity, sharp declines, etc... Of course, many dictate the level to which you should be careful and, if it is considered too protective, it is called a phobia.

Some consider negotiations, trust, and clothing according to THEIR preference common sense, and people with AS are traditionally bad with such things(And often have a different way of percieving temperature), so some say people with AS lack common sense.

01 Aug 2007, 9:42 am

I've been told I don't have any common sense because of my naivity. I was 17 then.

My common sense is pretty good but sometimes I lack it. I am still gullible and can't tell when someone is joking or teasing or being saracstic but am getting better at it.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2007, 1:18 pm

Ironically, there's nothing common in common sense. It's very subjective.

Jimbogf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Aug 2007, 4:57 pm

Greentea wrote:
Ironically, there's nothing common in common sense. It's very subjective.

Ah I see, everyone has their own version of what they think common sense is.

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2007, 5:14 pm

In my experience common sense was used as "the standard way of doing something".

Parental unit: "Go sort out the laundry"
Me: "Ok.. how?"
Parental unit: "Use common sense"
Me: "Ok.. how?"
Parental unit: "Gawd your so stupid!" *begin yelling and violence*

Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2007, 5:17 pm

Except from some basic issues, common sense is not common to all humanity.

Common sense is being weary of the aggressive blacks.
Common sense is treating everyone regardless of race/color.

Common sense is studying hard for all subjects at school and getting the best grades possible.
Common sense is investing work in what you do and like best, and screw grades.

Common sense is looking for a good husband who can provide.
Common sense is not being dependent on a husband.

Etc., etc.

Tempy
Toucan
Toucan

02 Aug 2007, 5:38 pm

bizmack wrote:
yeah i have been accused of that one before....over the years i have learned what people usually want to hear....but there are times when i forget who i am and my autisim comes rushing out with the stregnth of sparta at its front.....its embarassing at first but its just me and i am learning that me isnt that bad at all...common sense or not

Hehe same shoes as me. I still expect people to tell me to have some common sense for gods sake, you know?

"its obvious that if i asked you for toilet paper, i needed the baby wipes, too" . . . how? o,0 i ask, standing there like a drooling idiot . . . lol but that is the way it is, you know?

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2007, 2:48 am

I lack common sense. But it is kind of funny because I often am overlooking obvious things because I am too focused on the wording of what somebody said.

The other day my boyfriend asked me to move a piece of paper off of my monitor. Now, I know nothing about monitors, but I do know this one is old, the colors are all screwed up anyway, and it glitches out all of the time. He said that it could blow up.... instantly, tons of ideas of what "blowing up" is-images of things blowing up filled my mind, lol. I focused in on that completely, and kept wondering how that is possible, as my last monitor was messed up from the start and it simply quit working. No loud booms, no explosions or anything. I was so focused on it that when he mentioned that the piece of paper could catch on fire because there is a vent that blows out hot air on top of it, I found it completely baffling. It never crossed my mind that there actually was hot air coming out, I never bothered to feel it, and I didn't even realize the paper was blocking that off....

I felt like such a moron after I realized what the problem was, but it took me about 2 hours to finally get it, because I kept asking why he said it the way he did rather than just saying the paper could catch on fire or something like that from the beginning.

I'm my own guinea pig.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2007, 6:40 am

nobodyzdream wrote:
I lack common sense. But it is kind of funny because I often am overlooking obvious things because I am too focused on the wording of what somebody said.

The other day my boyfriend asked me to move a piece of paper off of my monitor. Now, I know nothing about monitors, but I do know this one is old, the colors are all screwed up anyway, and it glitches out all of the time. He said that it could blow up.... instantly, tons of ideas of what "blowing up" is-images of things blowing up filled my mind, lol. I focused in on that completely, and kept wondering how that is possible, as my last monitor was messed up from the start and it simply quit working. No loud booms, no explosions or anything. I was so focused on it that when he mentioned that the piece of paper could catch on fire because there is a vent that blows out hot air on top of it, I found it completely baffling. It never crossed my mind that there actually was hot air coming out, I never bothered to feel it, and I didn't even realize the paper was blocking that off....

I felt like such a moron after I realized what the problem was, but it took me about 2 hours to finally get it, because I kept asking why he said it the way he did rather than just saying the paper could catch on fire or something like that from the beginning.

Actually, what would most likely happen is that the circuitry would act erratic(the symptoms you described may have come from this), and the paper could be dehydrated and could be burned rather than catching fire. Of course it COULD catch fire, but it isn't THAT likely. As for the "blowing up"? It could IMplode, because it is a vacume so the pressure OUTSIDE is higher. Still, that IS unlikely! I mean I have seen many DOZENS of screens/monitors heavily mistreated with NONE even getting cracked.

BTW Most people doing what you did are ****NT****! It has to do with the normal careless attitude and senseless desired ignorance of technical stuff. THAT is why people handle circuits with NO ESD protection, why people put CDS in dirty areas, and wipe them off in the most destructive way, and why people put magnetic media around magnetic sources and people write HARD directly on disks. I have EVEN seen people STAPLE disks, and wonder why they suddenly failed! I was almost BORN with an understanding of this stuff, yet some adults are BLISSFULLY ignorant of it, and still act carefree.

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2007, 10:11 am

lol, while it is true that NTs are careless about things, it's hardly a way to say most NTs are like that. It has a lot to do with your interests too-I like my comp, but am not very interested in finding out exactly how it works. I'm not a technical person at all, and common sense in those areas is completely lacked-I didn't even realize air was even coming out of the thing.

Yet, my beads are highly organized, and I can tell if any of them are missing, I get highly upset if anyone takes one out of the containers, etc. It just isn't my strong point... and like you seem to have approached it, I tend to think that people should have more common sense about things I DO know a lot about, and disregard it as carelessness. But I've never actually said "that's an NT thing" as all people are different and are going to know less about other things.

Not knowing about technical things HARDLY makes someone NT or not. Being unorganized hardly makes someone NT or not. Somehow, I think you should analyze the statement a little bit better... as not everybody is on the technical end of things.

BTW, sorry if I seem defensive, I just absolutely despise someone saying something like that so matter of factly.

edit: never mind, got cleared up after this post, lol.

I'm my own guinea pig.

Last edited by nobodyzdream on 03 Aug 2007, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2007, 1:33 pm

nobodyzdream,

You missed my point, and kind of echoed it. I didn't mean it as an insult to you, or even to say you were NT. NOTHING of the sort.

I said it only to say you can't blame that "lack of common sense" on having AS. And YEP, AS people may have that problem, and NT people may not, but most NT people DO! I say that with certainty based on my experience of almost 3 decades.

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2007, 1:36 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
nobodyzdream,

You missed my point, and kind of echoed it. I didn't mean it as an insult to you, or even to say you were NT. NOTHING of the sort.

I said it only to say you can't blame that "lack of common sense" on having AS. And YEP, AS people may have that problem, and NT people may not, but most NT people DO! I say that with certainty based on my experience of almost 3 decades.

lol, okay, I get it, and sorry about that-I just always take it the wrong way when someone uses asteriks around "NT" and whatnot, because I don't know if it is to imply things, or just to state a fact. I think it comes from a lot of the "well, you sound NT" stuff that I see thrown around here at times, and I don't know anyone well enough to be able to really distinguish the difference. :P

I guess it isn't really a lack of common sense, but the idea that we get so focused and wrapped up in other things that lead others to believe we completely lack it? I do find often that when dealing with NTs regularly I see them do a lot of stupid things, well seemingly stupid to me at least. I find it hilarious that when I get focused on figuring out why they didn't know what I meant, I completely miss other obvious things as well.

There are a lot of times as well when someone will ask a simple question, and I will want to know exactly what they mean before I can answer it, so they tend to think I'm just stupid and quit talking to me, lol.

I'm my own guinea pig.