Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

androidbeing
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jul 2007, 2:25 pm

Do you have common sense? Has anybody ever said you didn't have common sense? If so why?

Android

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2007, 2:28 pm

If someone tells me something...I follow it to the letter contrary to whatever sense I might have.

So no I do not have much common sense...

And I often second guess and destroy whatever sense I have acquired.

Wanting more than what I have might appear as greed.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2007, 2:31 pm

My sense is very often totally different from others', so by definition it's not "common". Which doesn't mean it's less good than others'. I don't believe the majority is always right. On the contrary, I'm strongly skeptical of any beliefs and behaviors that are accepted by the majority.

Aradford
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jul 2007, 2:31 pm

Depends on how you define common sense.

I am smart, really smart. But many people say I am impractical. That could be considered contrary to the tenents of common sense. I say those people lack common sense.

Common sense to me is logic.

Most people are not very logical.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2007, 2:33 pm

androidbeing wrote:
Do you have common sense? Has anybody ever said you didn't have common sense? If so why?

Android

Only my mother. Otherwise, I was always known for having entirely too much/more than the folks around me. (Example - If something catches fire, I throw water on it to put it out, rather than running around screaming "fire, fire!" as most people tend to do....)

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2007, 2:46 pm

Greentea wrote:
My sense is very often totally different from others', so by definition it's not "common". Which doesn't mean it's less good than others'. I don't believe the majority is always right. On the contrary, I'm strongly skeptical of any beliefs and behaviors that are accepted by the majority.

Me too! :D I am a very sceptical person.

bizmack
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jul 2007, 2:51 pm

yeah i have been accused of that one before....over the years i have learned what people usually want to hear....but there are times when i forget who i am and my autisim comes rushing out with the stregnth of sparta at its front.....its embarassing at first but its just me and i am learning that me isnt that bad at all...common sense or not

RockoTDF
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jul 2007, 3:14 pm

Most psychologists do not believe that there really is such a thing common sense. Common Sense varies from culture to culture and place to place. No one could ever really agree on what exactly common sense is.

dumbgenius
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2007, 3:48 pm

I don't think I have much common sense.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

30 Jul 2007, 3:54 pm

i dont have common sence, mostley because i act like this guy.

:P

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Jul 2007, 5:31 pm

very book smart, zero common sence, and ppl get mad at me cause i dont draw the same conclusions as they do, or see the world as they do, screw um if they dont like it, heh

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2007, 5:46 pm

I've got common sense in some ways (scored highly on a 'Critical Reasoning'
psychometric test) but when it comes to social interaction the best common sense
I can apply is to try and learn from the mistakes I make.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Jul 2007, 5:58 pm

pluto wrote:
I've got common sense in some ways (scored highly on a 'Critical Reasoning'
psychometric test) but when it comes to social interaction the best common sense
I can apply is to try and learn from the mistakes I make.

Hmmm.... Sounds like me. At 48 I've acquired enough experience to get through
most situations.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2007, 7:17 pm

It's not so common now, but YEAH! WHY???? Well, either because I go out in the FREEZING cold without my coat, don't do something like someone says I should, etc...

Last edited by 2ukenkerl on 31 Jul 2007, 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nicklegends
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jul 2007, 7:33 pm

People often say I don't have any common sense, and it think this messes with me more than I think... If that is possible. :? On multiple occasions, my mother has criticized my slow response time to urgent issues, such as spilling a glass of milk. She'll often say, "don't think about it--just do it!" My only response is that I have an instinct to investigate a situation fully before taking action. I haven't decided yet whether this is helpful or harmful, but I can definitely see myself keeping relatively calm in a life-or-death situation. I'd hope this'd be helpful. :P

What for others is common sense is not always easy to come by myself. I think NTs' thought that they are thinking in the best way is poisonous--one can only judge based on how the majority takes action. Agreeing with what one earlier said, I believe that logical thought should be common sense, too. Why should one assume to keep off a certain section of a field if it says "keep off of grass" as opposed to the whole thing? Why should one assume that another knows what one is thinking? There needs to be some other information, and there is; unfortunately, it is entirely invisible to every sense, and only the NTs can seem to decode it.
They assume that other people make the same assumptions as they do, which in the end limits the number of people who can relate to them.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2007, 9:51 pm

Common sense is a dying art.

"Lets build a housing estate on a floodplain...oh no..it flooded..."

"It never occured to me that my my multi-millionpound whaling/tiger aphrodisiac/rhinohorn/ivory trade industry would go out of business if we hunted them to extinction...."

There is no end to the examples of a lack of common sense I could quote. Seek these holes in sensible thought and plug them with logic, before we all sink without trace into the icy depths of the Idio-Sea ...I beg thee.