Are NTs programmed to instantly reject autists?

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

starrytigress
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jan 2022, 7:33 pm

theprisoner wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
i learned eventually, how people spot us, it's in the eyes. all the members of my group had that in their eyes, a sort of "wild animal look" for want of a better term.

I've only ever heard people say I have a twinkle in my eye, or have beautiful eyes. I've heard the term thousand mile stare, but nobody has ever said that describing me... "wild animal look", as in; bat-shit crazy? sounds like it could be compliment in different context... "Oh honey, you have this wild animal look in your eyes, take me now, do me like a wild animal!" e.g.

auntblabby wrote:

btw i already know these two people did heinous things and i'm NOT making any kind of behavioral linkage with them and anybody else!
i see this "look" in my siblings, as well. we are all on the spectrum, as well, 'cept for my late sister who didn't have it because she was NT.

Who is that? a young Ted Kyczinksi? :scratch: I don't know who those are... I don't see anything wrong with the person, maybe a flatish affect, but anybody can say a person looks deranged or criminal, AFTER the fact...If it was so easy to spot psychological phenotypes, police detectives would be out of a job.

This goes waaaay back in western science, the idea that there is some kind of physical marker of personality traits. You can see it in the old fairytales, pretty=good ugly=bad. It used to be believed that a physical deformity meant that someone had and evil soul. That sort of thinking is also what led to the eugenics movement, so I soundly reject any kind of thinking along that line. Heck, it used to be believed that because females, on average, have a slightly smaller cranial size than males, then females are 'obviously' less intelligent, and it was used for a long time to deny women equal rights.
As for the eye thing, that guy just looked like he has strabismus, where the eyes point in different directions. I think the biggest thing with the eyes is that most autistic people hate making eye contact and avoid it. Personally, I figured out a way around it by staring at the other person's earlobe or hairline. It's close enough to the face to make them think you're making eye contact when you really aren't.
On top of that, I think that if you're autistic then you're just more tuned in to what it 'looks' like. My therapist and I both agree, if you are autistic or if you are intimately familiar with autism (like my therapist or my mom) then you can pick up on certain traits that are indicative of autism that a NT person would miss. Sort of like an autistic version of Gaydar.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2022, 10:03 pm

the guy above looked like a lot of the people in my aspie group.