directions out of Aspie toward NT functioning?

Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

JCJC777
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Feb 2022, 7:26 am

I'll probably get flamed here {yes yes I know its totally wonderful and brilliant to be an Aspie} - but I feel the black or white, "I am Aspie" or "I am NT", may be a wrong (too simple) mindset.

Maybe many of us can choose to try to reach back to activate some NT functioning, that maybe we discarded way back (perhaps when it just didn't work, initially).

I suggest trying to switch off the Aspie analysing in social situations, and just see what happens. Might be surprising. Has been very helpful for me. (Some poems I wrote about this here, trying to express this. http://unlearningasperger.blogspot.com/ ... arted.html )

All best wishes.

Flame away.

Last edited by JCJC777 on 10 Feb 2022, 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

timf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2022, 7:56 am

One reason Aspergers is more difficult for younger people is that they have not had the opportunity to learn or develop coping skills and management strategies.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2022, 11:21 am

I don't get what you're trying to say.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2022, 12:31 pm

Am wondering if the op is referring to some earlier masking abilities ??? But trying to go back to something, that is not a innate part of a human Aspies make up at birth , isn’t really going back to something. ?
And being a Aspie it is hard to see growing up that there was differences NTs vs, that’s just the way I am .
Cause mentally had no frame of reference.

where ever you go ,there you are

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2022, 12:42 pm

Cannot read the blog link.

Nope.
I know how to not need to 'aspie analyze' in any social situations i.e. moody, inattentive, uncertain and overwhelmed tired zombie.
And that would still landed trouble.

It likely requires prerequisites -- like that pro-social inclinations to actually want socializing. And is enough to mask everything into a habit. I'm not one of these people.

Or energy. I had that experience -- everything on auto the whole day, because I slept for 3 hours long worth of restorative sleep.
But alas, the issue seems to be tied to my damn hormones and I'm a biologically woman with possible imbalance issues.

Or an option. Like a clear work schedule to plan around, accessible transports, or a quieter cultural setting with enough space -- things way before any social interactions even started.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2022, 1:06 pm

Tried the not need to analyze things. And at first if I did not run into any complicated situations it was okay.
But like in the above post circumstances still c ame up. In a big way. And seemed to be WORSE than if I had analyzed the situations. So I just became myself and life went on but with better plans , if things went badly . And the other
Way of not analyzing did NOT get me any additional social. Benefits I felt .
BUT being myself, I was more
Successful in practical things in life

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2022, 3:19 pm

If anything, I need to learn how to embrace my autistic me, learn how to deal with it and stop masking and pretend to be NT.
Having been diagnosed fairly late in life, I find that hard to do, I usually don't even know if I'm masking or not.

/Mats

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2022, 8:55 pm

That sounds ambitious. Though I don't say it's completely futile. Many years ago I got very interested for the first time in feelings, which I'd hitherto been dismissing as a waste of good mental energy. I found the result useful. I guess it's related to your idea of shaking off the analytical tendency and at least trying to move towards broad strokes and intuition. I was also pleasantly surprised to find that I could often remember things I thought I'd forgotten, such as why I'd just gone into another room - it's often said that Aspies have weak short-term memory, but my own observations suggest that the memories just come back a little more slowly, and that if I just relax and give them time, instead of simply giving up, the memory impairment isn't so strong.

I guess the limitation is that a snail can't hope to keep up with a greyhound. Still, I think it's worthwhile being open to pushing the envelope here and there as long as we don't expect too much of it and burn ourselves out trying too hard to do the impossible. And I think there's a very real trap of assuming you can't do a thing just because it's on the list of impairments and it doesn't work on the first couple of attempts. There was an educationalist - I can't remember his name - whose most spectacular contribution to the subject of education was to demonstrate that some well-entrenched beliefs about children being unable to perform this or that kind of mental task before they reached a certain age weren't true. It could be that Aspies are also capable of more than is commonly thought.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2022, 4:19 am

JCJC777 wrote:
I'll probably get flamed here {yes yes I know its totally wonderful and brilliant to be an Aspie} - but I feel the black or white, "I am Aspie" or "I am NT", may be a wrong (too simple) mindset.

Maybe many of us can choose to try to reach back to activate some NT functioning, that maybe we discarded way back (perhaps when it just didn't work, initially).

I suggest trying to switch off the Aspie analysing in social situations, and just see what happens. Might be surprising. Has been very helpful for me. (Some poems I wrote about this here, trying to express this. http://unlearningasperger.blogspot.com/ ... arted.html )

All best wishes.

Flame away.

Been there, done that. It works sometimes, but in the long term, it has been harmful to me. The way I look at it these NT skills are tools I use to gain things, nothing more, nothing less. They don't make me less Autistic.

All best wishes to you.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2022, 4:25 am

I'm wondering if Universities should have NT units? NT 101

JCJC777
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Feb 2022, 5:57 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
That sounds ambitious. Though I don't say it's completely futile. Many years ago I got very interested for the first time in feelings, which I'd hitherto been dismissing as a waste of good mental energy. I found the result useful. I guess it's related to your idea of shaking off the analytical tendency and at least trying to move towards broad strokes and intuition. I was also pleasantly surprised to find that I could often remember things I thought I'd forgotten, such as why I'd just gone into another room - it's often said that Aspies have weak short-term memory, but my own observations suggest that the memories just come back a little more slowly, and that if I just relax and give them time, instead of simply giving up, the memory impairment isn't so strong.

I guess the limitation is that a snail can't hope to keep up with a greyhound. Still, I think it's worthwhile being open to pushing the envelope here and there as long as we don't expect too much of it and burn ourselves out trying too hard to do the impossible. And I think there's a very real trap of assuming you can't do a thing just because it's on the list of impairments and it doesn't work on the first couple of attempts. There was an educationalist - I can't remember his name - whose most spectacular contribution to the subject of education was to demonstrate that some well-entrenched beliefs about children being unable to perform this or that kind of mental task before they reached a certain age weren't true. It could be that Aspies are also capable of more than is commonly thought.

hey ToughDiamond, totally agree with your mindset

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2022, 10:19 am

JCJC777 wrote:
hey ToughDiamond, totally agree with your mindset

Thank you. But for god's sake don't tell the benefits adjudicators.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2022, 10:36 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
That sounds ambitious.

Yeah, it's like....

"If i can just just think my way out of this problem about how i think, i think i can find a solution that wont compound the already existing thinking problem i have, I think." :scratch:

This is only really applicable, if you're near enough NT, if you scores in the borderline zone on a AQ test. Like me.

Your score was 26 out of a possible 50.
Scores in the 26-32 range indicate some Autistic traits (Asperger's Syndrome).

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

JCJC777
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Feb 2022, 1:08 pm

theprisoner wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
That sounds ambitious.

Yeah, it's like....

"If i can just just think my way out of this problem about how i think, i think i can find a solution that wont compound the already existing thinking problem i have, I think." :scratch:

This is only really applicable, if you're near enough NT, if you scores in the borderline zone on a AQ test. Like me.

I score 43.

The point is to try out not-analysing when in social situations. frightening I know

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2022, 1:32 pm

Very frightening , almost impossible . But it has served me well , I think . I scored almost five points higher than previous poster . Have dodged the bullit on many situations that people used to try to set me up.. in serious legal trouble and harm. Was not always good at avoiding mayhem and critical losses but enough , I can say , I have been able to survive this long with little support .

Oh yes and a little dumb luck.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2022, 6:56 pm

JCJC777 wrote:
theprisoner wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
That sounds ambitious.

Yeah, it's like....

I score 43.

The point is to try out not-analysing when in social situations. frightening I know

I score a 30.
It's not really about the AQ scores.

Not analyzing won't make me less aspie into more NT in social situations.
But actual less aspie into more autistic. :o

Extraverted active but odd, but is definitely doing, saying things and going to places where I shouldn't.
Fun and entertaining, but no one will take me seriously

There's a crucial factor, a detail in between missing or is yet to be mentioned here.

I'd be "more NT like intuitive" if I have a reliable executive function.
Something I don't have 100% at the time, and is not dictated by my mindset, behaviors, knowledge or willpower, but my (unpredictable) biology.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.