Page 2 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2022, 10:25 am

I tried to be ambitious.

Typical milestones and conventional definitions of success doesn't seem to entertain my thought.

Sure, there's societal expectations of being good at something, along with conveniences and security of attaining the wealth of the rich with a social status...

But what truly entices me as an ambition is freedom.
Something beyond the bubble that is human society and the world as most people know it.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2022, 11:00 am

HighLlama wrote:
jimmy m wrote:
I sometimes think that the current approach for dealing with Asperger's is off target.

We (Aspies) have existed for a long time, thousands of years. We have been part of society. But something is off target.

I think too much effort has been applied to identify Asperger's as some type of disease that needs to be fixed and that only medication/drugs is the only available tool. What if this approach is wrong, DEAD WRONG.

Yes, but accepting difference makes neurotypical feel bad. :P

(Not all, but many.)

Agrees with HighLlamas interpetation of this idea ^^^^^^. :D

where ever you go ,there you are

Lely
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Mar 2022, 2:00 pm

I never had what are considered ambitions either. I just try to remove as much unpleasantness from my life as I can. I just want to stay healthy and be able to always look after myself. My nightmare is not being able to look after myself one day, for example in old age.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2022, 3:14 pm

Very early, I noticed that I could stay out of trouble by following the Golden Rule, so I made that a life principle. I'm helpful when I'm in a good position to be, and not too guilty about accepting help when I need it. Next, I wanted to develop my unique talents, and make them relevant to these very extraordinary decades we are having. I think I did pretty well at the self-education on the technical side, but still got blind-sided by social factors. Now, I'm trying to warn others about the hidden hazards.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2022, 4:08 pm

HighLlama wrote:

Actually it is a little more basic than that. One of the differences between Aspies and neurotypicals is eye to eye contact. I do not look people directly in the eye. I don't know why. It is just the way it is. But in the eyes of a neurotypical any person who does not do eye to eye contact is a sign of FALSEHOOD, and EVIL.

There is a simple experiment that can be done to show this point.

A few years ago I came across an interesting article. It was about a boy whose mom helped him set up a date with a girl. I will include some of the original article below. But the interesting thing about this article was that the girl was wearing sunglasses. When you cannot see a person's eyes, it means that you cannot tell that a person is an NT or Aspie. Most Aspies do not provide eye to eye contact. As a result you become an NT human. I found a certain type of one way glasses (I could see out but others could not see in) and began to wear them. These sunglasses let a lot of light pass through so it wasn't like wearing normal sunglasses. The point was that when I wore these glasses, VERY STRANGE THINGS HAPPENED. People would come up to me out of the blue and begin conversations. NORMALLY NO ONE COMES UP TO ME AND BEGINS A NORMAL CONVERSATION, OUT OF THE BLUE. It was as if I became an NT.

These types of glasses are used by the police. It gives them the advantage that whatever person they are dealing with cannot see them and cannot tell what they are thinking. It gives the police an edge.

So for several years I wandered the streets and felt what it was like to be an NT. It was a very interesting experiment.

Below is a link to the article from a couple years ago. Notice the girl. Can you see her eyes?

-------------------------------------------------------------

The mom was a bit of a matchmaker. She was at a grocery store and began a casual conversation about a puppy with some young college age girls which then became a type of introduction about her son. So in both cases, the mothers were interested in the well being of their sons and did something that was a little unusual. There is nothing wrong IMHO about this.

There's a lot to be said about moms. They are the nurturer, the provider, and in some cases, the matchmaker.

The latter became true as highlighted in a sweet but awkward exchange involving a San Antonio college student and her roommates.

Earlier this month, Charisma Valdez, a University of Texas at San Antonio student, tweeted about her encounter with a young man's mother at an H-E-B grocery store.

"If your name is Cody, you're 6'4, you go to UTSA, live at the Outpost, a sophomore, AND majoring in Global Affairs. Your mom truly is your wingman. She just showed my rommates and I your picture at HEB trying to find you a GF. lmao," Valdez tweeted on Dec. 3.

As of Tuesday, that tweet drew more than 62,000 likes and a little over 4,700 retweets.

"It all started off as just a normal conversation at H-E-B over a puppy," she said. "And it kind of just turned into something else."

According to her, Valdez and her roommates encountered the mom named Patricia just as strangers.

"We were pretty excited at first because we were talking about puppies, and then once she brought up her son and that whole conversation, we got pretty serious," Valdez said.

It turns out "wing-mom" got the result she wanted. Charisma and Patricia met again to talk about Codey, and it resulted in this:

She said the two hung out last week at an area shopping complex.

Matchmaker mom: Tweet goes viral after Texas woman sets up date for son

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2022, 5:14 pm

Living free was one of mine (along with independence). Another was facing certain things without fear if they arose. My ambitions were mostly aberrant: I have zero care about wealth, status, objects and so on. They tended to be things that I wanted to overcome myself, rather than "gaining". They were all personal trials that are important to me (outside of one).

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2022, 5:19 pm

jimmy m wrote:
HighLlama wrote:

Actually it is a little more basic than that. One of the differences between Aspies and neurotypicals is eye to eye contact. I do not look people directly in the eye. I don't know why. It is just the way it is. But in the eyes of a neurotypical any person who does not do eye to eye contact is a sign of FALSEHOOD, and EVIL.

Well, I agree, and that doesn't refute what I'm saying. Neurotypical people can learn there are different kinds of people who do not communicate that way. This is why I say accepting difference makes them feel bad. Many even expect their pets (non-human animals) to communicate just as they do. So, many people have difficulty accepting that nature doesn't privilege their way of being. This causes discomfort, which they associate with evil, and avoid instead of understanding it.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2022, 6:08 pm

I guess when I was young it was obvious I was not making eye contact. My parents told me it was polite to look at people when I was talking with them.

So, I look at the person I'm talking to, though not into their eyes. I was a natural for social distancing decades before the Pandemic showed up. Eye contact has...to my knowledge...only been an issue a few times for me.

My theory is that it's hard to see where my gaze is exactly aimed if the other person isn't too near.

(jimmy m's glasses sound interesting, but I'm not too sure I want people coming up to me out of the blue and starting a conversation. It happens sometimes but I don't think I need much of that in my life—I like social distancing!)

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2022, 8:10 pm

I think it's usually OK to be ambitious as such, but I don't see it as a mark of superiority. Like most traits, it has good and bad sides.

In a way it's unavoidable - the moment you want something and decide to try and get it, you have ambition. It would be a rare person who didn't want anything, though if they're already happy with what they have, that's great. It's only a sad thing when somebody strongly wants something that's attainable, something that would truly make them happier, but they never try for it. I guess that's a good definition of depression, low confidence, or learned powerlessness.

I'm not much geared up to the "standard" ambitions that it seems a great swathe of the human race thinks we should all go for - flashy cars, trophy wives, high-status jobs, prestigious housing, membership of an exclusive golf club, and of course ridiculous amounts of money and needlessly expensive possessions. I disapprove of people aspiring to such things because accumulating the produce of all that labour has to divert that labour away from supplying other people with the ordinary things they need to enjoy reasonably happy lives. Wealth seems to be addictive - the more you get, the more you want. And in most cases the ambition is doomed to failure and the only thing that's achieved is to help perpetuate a social system and ideology that puts pressure on people to follow it and makes so many people think it's such a great idea.

My own ambitions were born (I think) of inner needs and desires - a good relationship, a few good friends, making a few people happy, collective working, the skill to write, perform and record good music, a lifestyle that gives me comfort and pleasure to live, good physical and economic health, a supply of interesting things to do, acquiring new abilities, freedom from guilt feelings abut having harmed anybody. I think that covers most of it. I've achieved those things to a degree, which is all I can reasonably expect. Unfortunately old age and death will eventually send most of those blessings into reverse.

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Mar 2022, 3:14 am

It's funny. I have a wife (20 years), several kids, own house, etc. But I'm unfulfilled and depressed. I've meditated on why and conclude it's because I don't have power and autonomy.

I have the ambition itch. Every day I feel the desire to do, to achieve, to have a job or career. But I only leave the house to attend to volunteer obligations. At home I attend to family obligations. The only me thing is an hour of martial arts once a week.

I want a career, but I'm middle aged in a small town (1500), surrounded by smaller towns.

I have an ambition itch that'll never scratched, while my life stagnates.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2022, 9:08 pm

all things equal, it is better to be ambitious (as long as your goals are positive, and you succeed at your goals), than to not be ambitious.

however, ambition is not a moral value.
___________________________________________________________________________________

just last week, a passenger (not me) on the bus told the driver that he had a gun. the driver told the passenger that he could have tattled to 911 for "terrorist threats" and "you need to apologize". the passenger said "i apologize, people". a passenger (also not me) said "we forgive you."

diseases, disability, natural disaster, violence, mass shootings, plenty of unexpected events occur that sometimes end someone's lives when they are still young.

as a result, no matter their effort or efficiency, they do not get a chance to reach their goals, because they are dead.

where i live and work, there is a homeless encampment and a car park where professionals steal cars and sell their pieces. off leash dogs. suspicious looking characters. on the way from the public transportation to work, sometimes i am afraid of getting raped or run over by a car.

that does not mean that it is wrong or bad to have ambition or work toward some goals.

on the other hand, sitting around accomplishing nothing is also not justified.

i take a middle road.

whatever goals you want to set, hard or easy or none, is up to you.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2022, 9:32 pm

DoniiMann wrote:
I
I have an ambition itch that'll never scratched, while my life stagnates.

So your ambition is to have an ambition?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2022, 9:53 pm

my addlements got in the way of my ambition, which was originally to get involved in some kind of broadcasting. the elements just didn't line up and i didn't have the horatio alger unstoppable gumption that is needed to succeed in this country. so i guess the only ambition i ever had that actually came true, was to leave behind the rat race.

Lady Strange
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Mar 2022, 11:17 pm

Yeah I guess maybe I do have ambition in some sense, like many of you do to just live ok and live peaceful and more simple. I too do not desire the typical ambitions that most have (climbing the corporate ladder, huge house, things like that). I just want to have some good people around me and not be treated like garbage, and have a decent place to live and ability to pursue my little interests I get into.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2022, 1:27 am

^^^so did you succeed at all that?

Lady Strange
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Mar 2022, 10:29 am

auntblabby wrote:
^^^so did you succeed at all that?

For me? I'm working at it still. Living situation is better than it was (not so much random fireworks going off here, much better for me mentally!). Still working on the job situation, hope to improve that, that is a hard one. Still learning to handle life stuff more like an adult.