What's your least favorite neurotypical saying?

Page 6 of 6 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2022, 8:10 pm

"these data" - I know it's technically correct but to me it's just ugly.

"chargeback" - it's some kind of nasty thing that a bread-head may threaten you with if you don't pay him some money he thinks you owe him, but in his self-centredness he doesn't bother to explain to you exactly what it means, and leaves you to guess.

"at this moment in time" - just say "now" and stop trying to sound clever.

"let me first begin by saying" - stop building it, just say it.

"sponsor" - I don't know why I don't like that, I just don't.

"boasts" (as in "this amplifier boasts an impressive 30 watts per channel") - stop insinuating that what follows "boasts" is something good.

"if you will receive what I am sharing" (found on the first page of a religious tract) - stop trying to guilt-trip me into swallowing your assertions.

"investors in people" - usually said by employers to make it look like they care about their staff.

"hard-working families" - cheap politician's meaningless buzz phrase.

"helping the disabled and unemployed back to work" - i.e. stopping their benefits and shoving them into horrible jobs.

"prevent vile people smugglers putting people's lives at risk" - i.e. stop asylum seekers from entering the country.

"we must tighten our belts" - i.e. you must tighten your belt.

"I could care less" - I quite agree with other posters. I think whoever first said it simply got it wrong and the explanation is an excuse somebody concocted to make it look good.

"should" - own up, you're disguising something you happen to want as something only a complete jerk would not want. But it's OK if it just means "will, I think," as in "this spanner should do the trick."

Aladar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Apr 2022, 8:39 pm

get over it right now/deal with it right now/cool it right now are good ones i heard them so much growing up and in adulthood they're basically triggers to piss me off more

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2022, 9:45 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
have your cake [IOW KEEP your cake without eating it] and eating it too are indeed contradictory, just not in a commonly understood way.

I guess that the saying was inspired by wedding cakes. Some folks like looking at their wedding cake so much that they want to keep it to look at. Hense the conflicted urges. Lol!

that is why cake makers should make a non-edible mock=up cake for those purposes.

Oliver14
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Apr 2022, 2:33 am

'Relax'

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2022, 4:44 am

"of his/her own free will..."

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2022, 4:58 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
"chargeback" - it's some kind of nasty thing that a bread-head may threaten you with if you don't pay him some money he thinks you owe him, but in his self-centredness he doesn't bother to explain to you exactly what it means, and leaves you to guess.

This reminds me of pushback. Always said as if something is wrong. Because, God forbid someone disagrees with you, or says no.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2022, 5:08 am

"It'll be fine," from someone who has no reason to think it'll be fine, and won't have to deal with it inevitably not being fine.

"Why don't you just-" from someone who doesn't understand the problem, doesn't believe there even is a problem, or thinks they have solved it with 5 nanoseconds of "thought." Mind you, plenty of autistic people do that too.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2022, 5:10 am

any rot about "common sense."

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2022, 8:47 am

Oh, here's another. "I'm the no-nonsense kind." Spoken with pride by someone who is absolutely full of BS and a master at forcing other people to deal with it. Bonus if they throw a screaming tantrum the one time they don't get their way.

brane75
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Apr 2022, 8:54 am

''It's all in your head.''

No, it's in my freaking kidney.

brane75
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Apr 2022, 8:55 am

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
"It'll be fine," from someone who has no reason to think it'll be fine, and won't have to deal with it inevitably not being fine.

"Why don't you just-" from someone who doesn't understand the problem, doesn't believe there even is a problem, or thinks they have solved it with 5 nanoseconds of "thought." Mind you, plenty of autistic people do that too.

i'm actually fine with that one. the speaker is aware of not knowing the issue but still provides the basic sense of comforting.

brane75
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Apr 2022, 8:56 am

Be yourself.

(But if you are yourself like i don't want you to, then screw you.)

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2022, 4:57 pm

brane75 wrote:
Be yourself.

(But if you are yourself like i don't want you to, then screw you.)

So true. They May as well say never be yourself.