What's your least favorite neurotypical saying?

Page 2 of 6 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2022, 8:45 pm

Most of these expressions have nothing wrong with them. Its just that you only hear them at bad times.

The expression "it is what it is" (ie "you cant do anything about it) is a good example.

I used to hate it, but then I saw this SNL piece in which the person speaking uses the expression at around 3:40. And now I ...get a kick out of hearing it. Because...it makes me glad I am not related this guy. :lol:

vividgroovy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Mar 2022, 12:28 am

For me, it's not so much colloquialisms as things that are said to me regarding my efforts at concentrating on tasks.

"Just give yourself over to it."

With this one, I always picture the Pod People from "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" saying "Just give yourself over. Become one of us!"

And then after the task is completed:

"It looks like you didn't do anything."

This one drives me up the wall. The idea that I put in all this effort and struggled to concentrate, only for it to be the same as if I did nothing. In fact, it usually seems that the person would be less annoyed with me if I had done nothing.

Then, regarding artwork, there's:

"You have to learn the rules before you can break them."

In this case, I get the point of it. It just seems that it's used in place of explaining why following the rules can be useful and just says, "You have to follow the rules because they're the rules. Everyone else is following them. Only after you become super successful are you allowed to experiment at all."

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2022, 8:16 am

It is irritationg to me when someone says, "Amiright?" ("Am I Right?") after only mentioning a person's name, the name of a group, or a situation.  Examples:

• "Joe Schmuckatelli!  Amiright?"

• "Women!  Amiright?"

• "Texting while driving!  Amiright?"

People seem to do this most often when trying to initiate a conversation, and not in reference to anything already being discussed.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2022, 9:06 am

"You know."

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2022, 12:30 pm

It's not a "saying" per se, but, I hate it when someone says "can you"as a request because it implies that just because you "can" do something, it means you * have to*

How about "will you"?

"Can you do me a favor?"

"Can", "should" and "will" are all three different things

Everyone *can* do some things

Nobody *can* do everything

Anything *could* be a favor to someone in some situation

Even worse is "do you think you can "?

It makes me want to tell them "can you please go commit suicide? *(You can do anything you set your mind to*)"

I also don't like "how are you doing?" Because the only socially acceptable answer is "good" and "fine", but there are five emotions and happy is just one of them

It's like bull market and bear market

Not everything always needs to be so dramatic

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 Mar 2022, 12:41 pm

"Miej serce i patrzaj w serce" - "Have a heart and look into one's heart".
It usually came with accusations of being heartless because I was being logical. And this quote is painfully illogical.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2022, 2:40 pm

". . . to the next level."
(How many levels are there?  What do these levels signify?  Why is the next level important?)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2022, 3:14 pm

Any type of corporate jargon.

• Bleeding edge
• Blue sky thinking
• Boil the ocean
• Bullet point
• Core competency
• Game changer
• Giving 110%
• Key takeaways
• Out of pocket

More Here 

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Mar 2022, 5:31 pm

I've used "It is what it is" in my writing. It's used well in my writing, and both NTs and ND's get it because I use it well. I've spoken it a few times. Sometimes it's a way for someone to put closure on something that's been bothering them.

But I hate the following, which aren't spoken but written in comments sections:

"My word."
"No words."
"Wow. Just wow."
"Sad"
"Haters gonna hate."

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2022, 5:57 pm

the ableist ones such as-
*nothing ventured, nothing gained.
*whether you think you can or you can't, you're right.
*ever take a $#!+ in one hand, wish in the other, and see which hand filled up first?
*s/he did this/that of his/her own free will.
*this is gonna hurt me more than it will hurt you.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2022, 5:58 pm

Elgee wrote:
I've used "It is what it is" in my writing. It's used well in my writing, and both NTs and ND's get it because I use it well. I've spoken it a few times. Sometimes it's a way for someone to put closure on something that's been bothering them.

But I hate the following, which aren't spoken but written in comments sections:

"My word."
"No words."
"Wow. Just wow."
"Sad"
"Haters gonna hate."

what would you suggest in their place?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2022, 6:23 pm

"You're an adult"
Yes I know I'm an adult, I've been an adult for like 14 years now, I don't need to keep being reminded.

"Sshh"
Please, don't use this cringing sound to quieten me. Use anything, even "shut up", but please, never "sshh". Does my head in.

"Stop moaning"
Why? Don't all humans whine? Am I not entitled to express my feelings? Sometimes I need people to know exactly how I'm feeling. It's what humans do. Let me be a human.

"Ignore it/them"
I think I've explained this here already.

"I wasn't talking to you"
Excuse me for joining in and being friendly and sociable. Next time I'll just stay in the corner and be all aloof and uninteresting (is that how you make friends?)

"It's because you're autistic/you lack social skills"
Please, I hate when people conclude this. I hate being reminded that I have ASD.

Danusaurus
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2022, 6:25 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
It is what it is.
Of course, otherwise it'd be something else. :nerdy:

My least favourite too..

I think it’s supposed to mean someone has no control over things as in implied reference to you just have to accept your situation and not allowed to help oneself.

Thoughts anyone?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2022, 6:27 pm

Most of these expressions are "fine by me"(speaking of cliche expressions).

The exception being "I could care less". Even that ...someone on WP finally explained it to me.

To me its a dumb version of "I couldnt care less". If you couldnt care less then...you dont care. But if you COULD care less then you must care a lot. But the WP person explained that the later means "you can choose whether or not to care about it ...so you choose not to care about it". I guess that makes sense. And indeed there used to be a variant. Saying simply "I could care". I once heard two guys arguing and one say "I could care...I could care joe" (implying that he has taken the other option to caring which is...not caring). But that was in summer camp when I was kid DECADES ago. Have never heard "I could care" since.

Danusaurus
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2022, 6:29 pm

Joe90 wrote:
"You're an adult"
Yes I know I'm an adult, I've been an adult for like 14 years now, I don't need to keep being reminded.

"Sshh"
Please, don't use this cringing sound to quieten me. Use anything, even "shut up", but please, never "sshh". Does my head in.

"Stop moaning"
Why? Don't all humans whine? Am I not entitled to express my feelings? Sometimes I need people to know exactly how I'm feeling. It's what humans do. Let me be a human.

"Ignore it/them"
I think I've explained this here already.

"I wasn't talking to you"
Excuse me for joining in and being friendly and sociable. Next time I'll just stay in the corner and be all aloof and uninteresting (is that how you make friends?)

"It's because you're autistic/you lack social skills"
Please, I hate when people conclude this. I hate being reminded that I have ASD.

Hey Joe..

You forgot, “snap out of it”..

Please, like in an instant someone can just change how they feel?!??! Unlikely.

Danusaurus
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2022, 6:30 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Most of these expressions are "fine by me"(speaking of cliche expressions).

The exception being "I could care less". Even that ...someone on WP finally explained it to me.

To me its a dumb version of "I couldnt care less". If you couldnt care less then...you dont care. But if you COULD care less then you must care a lot. But the WP person explained that the later means "you can choose whether or not to care about it ...so you choose not to care about it". I guess that makes sense. And indeed there used to be a variant. Saying simply "I could care". I once heard two guys arguing and one say "I could care...I could care joe" (implying that he has taken the other option to caring which is...not caring). But that was in summer camp when I was kid DECADES ago. Have never heard "I could care" since.

I only just realised what that meant now too.
Stupid . Yes. But it make since if someone said it to me now