There is something weird I find about aspies and loud noises

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

catpiecakebutter
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Mar 2022, 2:30 pm

Aspies that don't like loud noises yet also talk loud as well. I'm one of those people and I don't even understand if there's a connection at all. What is a good way for aspies to deal with loud noises? For example, I get confused and flustered when I hear 2 or more people talking especially when people argue yet I argue sometimes as well.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2022, 2:37 pm

I don't like when people talk loud, yet I do it sometimes because I have poor volume control. I usually talk too quiet and I've learned to (over) compensate if people can't understand me. lol

When people talk loud, fast, or multiple people are talking at once I usually tell them that I'm having trouble processing what they're saying, and ask them to talk a bit quieter/slower/in turns. If they don't do that I just accept the fact they don't care if I can understand them anyways, and just think about something else while they talk. :lol:

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2022, 8:49 pm

You generally need dysfunction of the patulous eustachian tube for your own voice to hurt you, otherwise it won't bother you even if you have hyperacusis or sensitive hearing from Autism. I have hyperacusis in my left ear and my voice doesn't bother it, but many everyday sounds or higher pitched voices will, for example.

When you have trouble with understanding more than one voice, it can be an auditory processing disorder (which is part of Autism). It can make you talk louder or quieter too (I tend to talk softly). No idea on treatment there. I just kinda avoid areas where there's lots of people talking due to the discomfort, which is different to the pain of hyperacusis.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2022, 8:51 pm

How many people with autism get annoyed by loud sounds, unless they're ones we control or chose to experience?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2022, 4:31 am

I don't think that one is Autism for me. :| Outside of that, loud noise is loud noise to me regardless, but this too likely isn't Autism, but I'll put up with it all the same (plugs in a pocket or muffs located around the house).

I just had auditory processing disorder stuff when it was purely the Autism. I never had hyperacusis from Autism.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2022, 5:22 am

I don't mind loud sounds per se.
It's when it comes suddenly and unexpectedly, and it's not only sounds, it's movements and well when things happens suddenly.

/Mats

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2022, 10:56 pm

We can be atypically hypersensitive to some sounds and atypically hyposensitive to others.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2022, 2:30 pm

I am completely a hypocrite. :wink: I reprimand my husband when he uses a sharp tone of voice with me, but I absolutely will use a sharp tone of voice with him. That said, I am hypersensitive and he is hyposensitive --- so it could be simply appropriate behavior management on our parts. :wink: (not really, I need to be more patient with us). As far as volume, I hear everything, he misses most everything --- so of course I am loud with him and ask him to not be with me. I tend to meet the demands of my environment, but get excited which often goes with loud. So, yes, I wear ear plugs when others are loud and can also dish it out myself!

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2022, 4:43 pm

Well, there's a difference between a loud noise that I make and a loud noise that I get subjected to without my consent. Part of it is psychological - I know I can stop making noise any time I like, but it's usually more difficult to shut other people up. There's also a physical difference between what I hear when I talk / shout / sing and what I hear when somebody else does that - there's no direct path between my mouth and my ears, so the sound travels differently (much of it through head) and as a result it sounds less strident to me than somebody else's voice does.

It would be hypocrisy if I insisted on making more noise than I allowed other people to make, but in practice I rarely make anybody quieten down and I'm usually open to discussion if somebody complains to me about any noise I'm making. I'm usually fairly soft-spoken, and I'm quite shy of singing when other people are around unless I'm fairly sure they'll like it. There's also the sensitivity factor - if I'm physically more sensitive to noise than the average person, it would seem OK for me to make more noise than I'll let them make.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2022, 4:50 pm

I know that an autistic child can be terrified of loud noises but when they're having a meltdown it's much louder than all the loud noises they dislike and is like torture to everyone's ears, even NTs. But I think that's just the nature of humans, sounds are less distressing when you're making them yourself.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2022, 5:08 pm

in school i was always reprimanded for either talking too quietly or too loudly, too monotone or too singsong. my brute of a 6th grade teacher humiliated me in front of the other children by revealing that my mom told him that i was afraid of the noise the vacuum cleaner made.

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Apr 2022, 5:28 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
How many people with autism get annoyed by loud sounds, unless they're ones we control or chose to experience?

Even soft sounds by others annoy me when I hear them from inside my house. Right now two little girls are two yards over on a trampoline, and I hear them. I can't wrap my head around why the parents don't teach them to play quietly. This is very easy: "If you yell or shriek, you're coming inside." I guarantee it, they'd shriek or yell only one or two more times before they'd never do it again. But the parents are wusses or inconsiderate and think everyone likes to hear their kids. I played quietly as a child yet had as much fun as any other NT kid. Yelling, shrieking, screaming are NOT necessary for kids to have fun.

Many NT adults have loud voices. Can't stand it. I doubt this is an aspie or autism thing. I just don't know why people in general have to be so non-discrete with their chitter chatter, polluting the air. The loudest are the NTs. I recommend wearing earplugs everywhere in public.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2022, 5:34 pm

Elgee wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Even soft sounds by others annoy me when I hear them from inside my house.

I think that's the issue really. It isn't that loud sounds bother me, it's that loud sounds bother me and almost every sound is loud. Getting non-autistic people to understand that is very difficult.

quaker
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2022, 1:26 pm

I find loud voices unbearable. I have a quiet voice and have quite a refined degree of Mindfulness with respect to how I moderate my behaviour and express myself.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2022, 4:51 am

Quote:
Even soft sounds by others annoy me when I hear them from inside my house. Right now two little girls are two yards over on a trampoline, and I hear them. I can't wrap my head around why the parents don't teach them to play quietly. This is very easy: "If you yell or shriek, you're coming inside." I guarantee it, they'd shriek or yell only one or two more times before they'd never do it again. But the parents are wusses or inconsiderate and think everyone likes to hear their kids. I played quietly as a child yet had as much fun as any other NT kid. Yelling, shrieking, screaming are NOT necessary for kids to have fun.

I agree with you there. I'm like a grumpy old pensioner who hates the sound of children outside. If I could afford to live in a quiet area then I would, but instead I can only afford to live in a block of cheaply-built apartments surrounded by inconsiderate people who like having barbecues in the parking spaces outside that last long into the night, and like to have their music booming from their parked cars, and let their kids run around screaming and playing ball games outside your windows, and to add to it all we live below a baby that cries loudly all the time and people that like to stamp instead of walk.

The only peace I get is when I'm at work.

quaker
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2022, 5:05 am

Joe90 wrote:
Quote:

I agree with you there. I'm like a grumpy old pensioner who hates the sound of children outside. If I could afford to live in a quiet area then I would, but instead I can only afford to live in a block of cheaply-built apartments surrounded by inconsiderate people who like having barbecues in the parking spaces outside that last long into the night, and like to have their music booming from their parked cars, and let their kids run around screaming and playing ball games outside your windows, and to add to it all we live below a baby that cries loudly all the time and people that like to stamp instead of walk.

The only peace I get is when I'm at work.

I totally relate to you