Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Cosmonaut
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Apr 2022, 9:33 am

After a recent divorce, I decided to work on myself in therapy, Looking for those blind spots. My Therapist suggested that I get screened for spectrum disorder. So that is why I am here apparently I am on the spectrum. Terms like Non Neurology typical, ASD, on and on have been said. I really don't mind labels or what have you but I am a bit lost. How does knowing I am not "normal" help, What is normal anyway. Background on myself. In school I was always put in advanced placement then Special ed, then back to the general population classes. Needless to say school was a struggle until college. In college I excelled. I was married for over 11 years together for over 13. I know I am rambling opening up is not easy in this format for me. I have a degree in sculpture and a degree in anthropology, I work in the cannabis industry as a formulation chemist and I manage a analytical testing lab. I am a autodidact and polymath.

the point- What does this mean for me in finding a future relationship, What does this mean in regards to how I relate with people, What does this all mean. I have read so much at this point and non of it seems to be much more than platitudes and feel goods.

I like data and exploration of the human psyche (Jung is deeply rooted in my heart) but there does not seem to be anything more than help for parents and "everything is ok" kinda of statements. Looking for insights really I guess

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2022, 2:04 pm

Welcome to WP!

I'm afraid I might not be able to answer your questions to your satisfaction. On WP, of folk diagnosed comfortably into adulthood (or later), a frequent reaction seems to be happiness. So much of what was experienced before the diagnosis suddenly makes wonderful sense. That was certainly my reaction (I was 64 when I was diagnosed...as "old" as that sounds there are some on WP who were "older" when they got their diagnosis.)

Practical uses? So far I haven't found one though maybe others can offer some. If you need official accommodations because of the Autism, of course, a formal diagnosis would seem essential. But if you will just continue muddling through life, I dunno.

But welcome! I encourage you to wander around, find areas that interest you. It would be a good idea to read the rules first. And beware the "Women's Discussion" and "The Haven", they have special constraints.

But, really, welcome!

timf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2022, 6:52 am

Labels are not very useful unless they convey a package of understanding. Here is a link to a free pdf booklet about Aspergers that might be helpful http://christianpioneer.com/blogarchiev ... e_2017.pdf

The Youtube videos by Tony Attwood can also be helpful.

As one explores the implications of a diverse neurology, one learns that there can be management strategies and coping skills that can make life easier and reduce some anxieties.

Relationships are often a subject of concern. In general the less typical one's neurology, the more kind one needs another person to be. As kindness seems to be a diminishing characteristic in the world today, this can be a challenge.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2022, 12:54 pm

It is a lot to sort out, and the older we are, the more there is to sort! Learning about our autism diagnosis can turn everything we experienced, understood, and believed upside down and it is disorienting!

People learning about their autism have often said it is pretty much the same process as sorting grief. Denial, anger, sadness, acceptance, bargaining, and many more emotions go on inside of us, sometimes mixed emotions too, and they can happen in any order.

I found great relief to have an explanation that all of my struggles were not "all my fault" the way I had been brought up to believe (and what I was told later in my life too).

I had no other understanding or explanation for 68 years. Diagnosis gave me a new explanation and answered almost every "why" I ever had in the past.

Take your time and ask lots of questions, read up on older adults and autism , use every source you can process, there are books, studies, blogs, videos, pages and pages of information on groups sites, social media, and podcasts.

I found the book "I think I might be autistic" by Cynthia Kim very useful for understanding autism basics. It has a clear explanation about autism and has a simple self test, discusses self accommodation, how to find diagnosis and much more. Very inexpensive and available in many places online. I have also used it to explain my autism to others.

one of the best things I discovered when I learned I am autistic was that I found there are others like me, who understand, who have life experience, insights, suggestions, and who are "out there" on forums and pages like this one. Do your best self care now, while you sort it all out.

It won't happen over night but as time passes and you do the mental and emotional homework, you will have lots of "aha" moments when suddenly you see how autism has worked in every way behind the scenes and nobody suspected.
Self forgiveness is possible with diagnosis, and so is healing of past hurts

. Glad you are here!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson