Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2022, 3:15 pm

How many feel it's periodically necessary to flip coins as one of many means of decision making - that is decisions only involving the more minor aspects of life?

Flipping coins may not be the most readily available options.

It's not just 'heads or tails' shaping decisions, but 'odd or even' numbers. The minute reading on digital clocks (or the minute-hand on clocks), or the odometer reading on vehicles that changes every 1/10th of a mile traveled often proves to be most handy.

Again, best to allow chance to shape the more minor decisions in life. For major-decisions, it's best to consult qualified professionals.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2022, 3:23 pm

There is enough input available from my own desires, plans, feelings, goals, wants, that even those seemingly minor decisions can be made without involving external randomness.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2022, 6:00 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
How many feel it's periodically necessary to flip coins as one of many means of decision making - that is decisions only involving the more minor aspects of life?

It's not just 'heads or tails' shaping decisions, but 'odd or even' numbers. The minute reading on digital clocks (or the minute-hand on clocks), or the odometer reading on vehicles that changes every 1/10th of a mile traveled often proves to be most handy.

Again, best to allow chance to shape the more minor decisions in life. For major-decisions, it's best to consult qualified professionals.

I use dice to avoid/mitigate being influenced by electronic harassment.
I'd be surprised if you know where I am coming from. 8)

Anyone interested can Google: "The Dice Man".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dice_Man

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2022, 7:18 pm

Pepe wrote:
JustFoundHere wrote:

I'll investigate 'The Dice Man' with interest.

Personally, I've found that practical value of doing those more difficult housekeeping based on whether the date is an odd or even number i.e., it's now a habit to drag myself to clean dishes on even numbered dates.

We recently had two odd-numbered dates in a row: March 31st, and April 1st. I decided to clean dishes on March 30th. My kitchen has been cleaner and more organized overall - since I began an odd/even guideline. Go figure!

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2022, 7:20 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
Personally, I've found that practical value of doing those more difficult housekeeping based on whether the date is an odd or even number i.e., it's now a habit to drag myself to clean dishes on even numbered dates.

We recently had two odd-numbered dates in a row: March 31st, and April 1st. I decided to clean dishes on March 30th. My kitchen has been cleaner and more organized overall - since I began an odd/even guideline. Go figure!

Sounds like you have found a successful system. Hey, what works, works! :D

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2022, 10:44 pm

I have used this method most of my life. If I have a tough decision to make, I'll list all the pros and cons in two columns, to see if this helps to clarify things. Then I might do some fact checking or extra research to make sure I have all the information I can get before the choice must be made. If there is still no clear preference, that is the time to flip a coin. However, you don't use the coin to make the decision; you use it to get a quick sense of concern or relief when you see what it recommends, and base the final decision on that feeling.
One time, I went into a situation that didn't feel right, because I couldn't see why. If I'd been content to walk away and try another route, I might not have gotten totally sidetracked, but I was curious.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2022, 1:28 am

JustFoundHere wrote:
Pepe wrote:
JustFoundHere wrote:

I'll investigate 'The Dice Man' with interest.

Whatever works for you.
I have a lot of mental inertia problems and I find "baby steps" a good approach to getting things done.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2022, 4:20 pm

Using chance to decide on the more mundane, minor tasks in life makes sense - that is schedules are not too rigid, yet not too flexible either.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2022, 4:23 pm

As a kid I would often flip coins just for fun. I always thought the "tails" side of Canadian coins made more sense since most of them have animals on them.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2022, 3:49 pm

Dear_one wrote:
If there is still no clear preference, that is the time to flip a coin. However, you don't use the coin to make the decision; you use it to get a quick sense of concern or relief when you see what it recommends, and base the final decision on that feeling.

This is how I use coin flipping.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2022, 7:37 pm

I prefer "Flipping the bird". :mrgreen:

Lady Strange
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Apr 2022, 7:46 pm

Dear_one wrote:
I have used this method most of my life. If I have a tough decision to make, I'll list all the pros and cons in two columns, to see if this helps to clarify things. Then I might do some fact checking or extra research to make sure I have all the information I can get before the choice must be made. If there is still no clear preference, that is the time to flip a coin. However, you don't use the coin to make the decision; you use it to get a quick sense of concern or relief when you see what it recommends, and base the final decision on that feeling.
One time, I went into a situation that didn't feel right, because I couldn't see why. If I'd been content to walk away and try another route, I might not have gotten totally sidetracked, but I was curious.

I too tend to do this, listing pros and cons and have used the coin flip if needed to if the pros and cons list isn't helping so much.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2022, 10:14 am

JustFoundHere wrote:
How many feel it's periodically necessary to flip coins as one of many means of decision making - that is decisions only involving the more minor aspects of life? . . .
Sometimes, when all the facts are in, making any decision becomes more important than making the right decision.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2022, 3:45 pm

I'd be loathe to allow randomness into my decision making, though sometimes when it's a hard decision I get the feeling that I may as well just toss a coin. But I suppose I could just pick one of the alternatives without going to the trouble of finding a coin. Still, usually I just carry on pondering the matter until some thought or other nudges me into favouring one of the options or unfavouring one of them. I do get rather sick of collecting all the relevent data and sifting through it though, and I worry about the time it takes, so sometimes if the decision isn't extremely important I've just jumped to a choice, though it's often hard for me to do that, and I often get stuck in the compulsive habit of being insanely analytical, which bothers me a lot.

I can see coin-tossing being useful in some circumstances. Particularly if the decision isn't a massively important one. Sometimes I suspect that my decision-making is somehow wrongly biased, and that I might get better results by taking myself out of the equation to some extent. So for example it might be useful when I'm writing or recording music, because I often feel that my own habitual ways of doing things have become too narrow, hackneyed and stale, and that a new change in direction might lead to more interesting results. But maybe it would be better to just ask another musician what they would do.

And maybe seeking advice would generally lead to better outcomes than just tossing coins, if you don't trust your own judgement or find it too time-consuming and tedious to use it all the time. I guess a potential problem is that it introduces some social complexity - you might be reluctant to reject their suggestions for fear of offending them, while you can always override what a coin tells you to do, without annoying the coin.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2022, 12:51 pm

See original post: It's not just 'heads or tails' [via flipping coins] shaping decisions, but 'odd or even' numbers............

The guidelines of periodically letting chance play roles in common, mundane tasks are well.....just that.....guidelines; that is not a rigid rules based approach (a "goldilocks zone of sorts").

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2022, 9:04 pm

Fnord wrote:
JustFoundHere wrote:
How many feel it's periodically necessary to flip coins as one of many means of decision making - that is decisions only involving the more minor aspects of life? . . .
Sometimes, when all the facts are in, making any decision becomes more important than making the right decision.

Exactly!

I remember hearing on NPR about making decisions that said this. I thought to myself…oh, that’s me! I like to think I’ve been making faster decisions since learning that.