Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2022, 1:40 pm

I'm seeing a lot of advice about looking at the audience when speaking to see their reactions, but when I talk, I'm totally involved in trying to remember the right words in real time, and see nothing. I think that there are other people whose speech is almost entirely determined not by their own ideas, but by what the listeners want to hear, fine tuned on the fly. Where do you fit on that spectrum?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2022, 3:42 pm

I used to be able to read, speak and type different things simultaneously.
I don't believe I'm still able to do that, I can't even read a news article with video playing in the background anymore.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2022, 4:14 pm

Absolutely not.
I could barely say anything longer than three minutes without a script.
I need to think in silence before I say something a little longer.
It was difficult for me to even just think while talking, not to mention the need to pay attention to other people's reactions.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2022, 8:09 pm

No I can't talk and watch at the same time, not easily anyway. Maybe for a very short time. It's even harder for me to listen to somebody in the room while I'm watching something (say) on a TV screen, because listening seems to take up more of my brain than talking. It's not particularly easy for me even to watch video pictures and listen to the soundtrack at the same time, though I seem to manage that to some extent.

I think basically I hyperfocus on doing one particular thing, so that doing anything else at the same time is difficult. So for example, with watching a video, I often miss the words because I'm too busy looking at the pictures.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2022, 2:48 am

I don't. Not very well.
It won't help that sometimes my auditory channels when unreliable and distorted while at it. Everything just becomes a guessing game.

It's never the case when I have a working EF.
A working EF gave me multiple processing channels.

No stupid uncertainty and feel like everything is a guessing game half the time because of having less than 1/4th processing channels of information.
No more 'limited channels'; can talk, listen and watch and also more.
No need to do manual transitions or dropping one processing over in favor of translating thought to speech and recalling what to say.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2022, 7:16 am

No, my visual and audio processing it far too slow. It makes keeping up in any conversation almost impossible. Talking and watching an audience would be very difficult if not impossible. an audience of one or 2 is do-able if the people I am talking with are patient and not in a hurry. Against background noises of any sort, no can do.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2022, 7:31 am

Let me rephrase this question a little differently.
Can you talk and drive at the same time.
As an Aspie this is one of my weaknesses. When I drive a car I must fully concentrate on driving.
Many years ago when I was young and began driving, I had a few accidents.
But when I began to focus on only driving I became an excellent driver. Since that time I have driven around 1,000,000 miles accident free.
So whereas NTs can perform a variety of things while they are driving such as

talking on their cell phones
putting on makeup
communicating over the internet
writing
etc.

I am not able to perform these acts. It is like the kiss of death.

I actually changed my driving habits at the time to concentrate on everything around me (360 degrees) and to find potential accidents before they happened and take immediate corrective action to avoid them.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2022, 7:35 am

Edna3362 wrote:
I don't. Not very well.
It won't help that sometimes my auditory channels when unreliable and distorted while at it. Everything just becomes a guessing game.

No stupid uncertainty and feel like everything is a guessing game half the time because of having less than 1/4th processing channels of information.
No need to do manual transitions or dropping one processing over in favor of translating thought to speech and recalling what to say.

That sounds wonderful. What's an EF?

I'm never good at eye contact, which is highly recommended for teaching. I get most of my information about people from body language, so I only notice boredom if they start looking around.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2022, 7:46 am

jimmy m wrote:
Let me rephrase this question a little differently.
Can you talk and drive at the same time.
As an Aspie this is one of my weaknesses. When I drive a car I must fully concentrate on driving.
Many years ago when I was young and began driving, I had a few accidents.
But when I began to focus on only driving I became an excellent driver. Since that time I have driven around 1,000,000 miles accident free.
So whereas NTs can perform a variety of things while they are driving such as

talking on their cell phones
putting on makeup
communicating over the internet
writing
etc.

I am not able to perform these acts. It is like the kiss of death.

I actually changed my driving habits at the time to concentrate on everything around me (360 degrees) and to find potential accidents before they happened and take immediate corrective action to avoid them.

I was not asking about multi-tasking in general, but about the ability to track the attention of the person listening to us.
Dangerous driving may be the first thing that got me to concentrate fully, and the practice kept me out of some bad accidents. I think that everyone who multi-tasks is performing poorly at both jobs, but not getting too distracted and dropping one. I know that my reaction times are far faster if I'm pretending I'm on ice.
The talking and driving is interesting. I used to use a 2-way radio and get dispatched, and it was never a problem. I also manage conversations with passengers, but the passengers can tell if I should focus on driving, and don't disturb that. On a cell phone, one can get fully involved in "another world" and miss the driving news.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2022, 7:59 am

Dear_one wrote:
Edna3362 wrote:
I don't. Not very well.

That sounds wonderful. What's an EF?

I'm never good at eye contact, which is highly recommended for teaching. I get most of my information about people from body language, so I only notice boredom if they start looking around.

Executive functioning.
Or at least what it looked like when it's working properly instead of the dysregulated and unprocessable mess. I had experienced the contrast of having it and not having it.

The contrast in which the conscious mind is internally handling it is like working a 2 handed job with a complete set of 2 hands with several tools, as opposed to a single digit or two and no aides.

I wish I know how to make it constantly and permanently.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Lady Strange
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Apr 2022, 10:29 pm

Not good at this, brain can't seem to handle well trying to do two things at once like this.
With the driving thing, when I do drive which isn't much at all, I don't like trying to talk and drive, too hard to focus and concentrate.
Heck I cannot even listen to music with words in it while writing or I will get all messed up on what I'm writing and start trying to write what I'm hearing. Similar with reading, I get too distracted.

I'm a one track mind lol.

I remember for a job (call center) that I applied for, they gave a test for I think it was how well you can multitask and use working memory (look at this, then do this other thing, then recall the previous thing and do XYZ with it). Failed so bad at it, could not possibly keep up with it. Did not get the job lol.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2022, 11:12 pm

I can but other people can't. That's why I'm always being shushed all the time.