Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 8:10 pm

So yesterday the pastor in one of my churches passed me some of the eggs that one of his friends gave him from their chickens. I was wondering, if instead of eating them I were to keep them somewhere warm, can they produce chickens?

I actually had the same question with store bought eggs. I was assuming it is unlikely but I am not sure. Still, would the eggs from someone's chicken be a bit more likely? I noticed they are in slightly different color and slightly different sizes which kinda hints on the idea they are still growing.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 8:14 pm

Eggs need to be fertilized first, so nope, you won't be able to hatch them.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 8:38 pm

DanielW wrote:
Eggs need to be fertilized first, so nope, you won't be able to hatch them.

And how do I know they aren't fertilized?

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 9:40 pm

Large-scale egg production doesn't involve roosters, and most urban farms aren't allowed to rear/raise roosters as they are considered a noise problem.

You can't make more CHICKENS without a rooster, but eggs - Hens lay eggs just fine without them.

Fertilzed eggs can't be eaten after about a week, because the egg begins to become chicken

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 9:47 pm

I thought this thread was asking us if we could physically hatch eggs and if it's an Aspie thing. :lol:

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 9:54 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I thought this thread was asking us if we could physically hatch eggs and if it's an Aspie thing. :lol:

Oh yeah, when I googled it, I accidentally ran onto links about catching eggs. And I was like nope, not interesting. Catching eggs breaks them, hatching eggs helps them grow. So those are somewhat of the opposites :) I kinda feel bad for life that people kill. So I am definitely on a hatching side :)

But then again, if you look at it from another angle, then catching eggs saves them from hitting the floor, thus giving them some tiny bit of chance to grow since your hand is softer than the floor. So then catching can be a first step towards hatching, provided that whoever catches them is of the opposite mindset to whomever threw them on the first place.

Which is actually similar to my situation right now. Pastor's intention was to eat them. My intention is to help them grow. So picture pastor throwing them at me (to have them broken aka eaten) and me catching them (to save their life aka trying to grow them). Except that it is less dramatic. He didn't throw them, he just gave them. And I didn't catch them, I am just thinking of how to hatch them. But the concept is the same. Trying to find a way to hatch them is just as difficult as trying to catch them.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 10:08 pm

DanielW wrote:
Large-scale egg production doesn't involve roosters, and most urban farms aren't allowed to rear/raise roosters as they are considered a noise problem.

But in order for the chickens not to die off, they have to reproduce *somehow*, which means that *somebody* would have a rooster.

DanielW wrote:
Fertilzed eggs can't be eaten after about a week, because the egg begins to become chicken

Shouldn't there be a certain temperature for them to grow? So if they are at a wrong temperature, then they wouldn't be turning into chickens, or are you saying they still would?

By the way, since egg is eatible and chicken is eatible, then maybe the in-between between chicken and egg can also be eatible? Not that I would want to eat it (I feel too much compassion for it) but like other people might.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 10:15 pm

Find out if the place you got them from has roosters. I think a few days from now you can shine a light through and find out if they were fertilized. Eggs are safe to keep at room temperature for a few days if they haven't been refrigerated yet.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 10:27 pm

r00tb33r wrote:
Find out if the place you got them from has roosters.

I just called pastor, he doesn’t know, he said he will ask.

I am just worried because a day is already passed and the clock is ticking.

r00tb33r wrote:
I think a few days from now you can shine a light through and find out if they were fertilized.

Yeah, that’s what I read on the internet, but I am kinda confused about it. Unlike glass, egg is not transparent, so how can I see what is inside it, light or no light?

r00tb33r wrote:
Eggs are safe to keep at room temperature for a few days if they haven't been refrigerated yet.

That’s good to know, if true

I didn’t put them into refrigerator, but I didn’t put any heater either. I basically left them in the room.

I was assuming that in order for them to hatch I need a heater, and in order for them to stay eatible I need refrigerator. So simply leaving them like this is the worst of both worlds: too cold for them to grow and too warm to still be safe to eat. I really *hope* to be wrong.

By the way, the eggs outside refrigerator rot. Intuitively, I would assume if the egg rots it’s dead and can’t hatch. I am thinking of three possible answers to my question:

1) Maybe it’s because it doesn’t have that extra heat to grow, that’s why it rots. In other words maybe if I do put extra heat it won’t rot.

2) Maybe it only rots if it’s not fertilized and if it was fertilized it wouldn’t.

3) Maybe my intuition is wrong and rotten egg can still grow

4) Other, specify

What do you think?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 10:34 pm

QFT wrote:
By the way, since egg is eatible and chicken is eatible, then maybe the in-between between chicken and egg can also be eatible? Not that I would want to eat it (I feel too much compassion for it) but like other people might.
Have you ever heard of balut?

A balut is a fertilized developing egg embryo (usually a duck's egg) that is boiled and eaten from the shell. It is commonly sold as street food in South China and Southeast Asian countries, notably the Philippines, Cambodia, and Vietnam. The term comes from the Filipino language.

The length of incubation before the egg is cooked is a matter of local preference, but generally ranges between 14 and 21 days.

Part of my informal "initiation" into the Philippine culture involved eating a balut.  They told me to close my eyes, hold my nose and just gulp down the contents without chewing.

It tastes worse coming back up than it did going down.

:eew:

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 10:43 pm

QFT wrote:
r00tb33r wrote:
Eggs are safe to keep at room temperature for a few days if they haven't been refrigerated yet.

That’s good to know, if true

Some info here:
https://www.organicvalley.coop/blog/why-does-us-refrigerate-eggs/
And here:
https://www.crestcapital.com/tax/incubation_care_hatching_eggs

You've got time to sort out the rooster question. No rooster=no point in trying.

Good luck!

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 10:49 pm

I once saw a guy on YouTube manage to hatch a fertilized egg out of its shell inside a glass in a special incubator. He had many other eggs and it looked like several more of them were going to hatch too, but they all died. I was a bit skeptical when he just got up one morning and found a baby chick peeping inside the incubator, but the story of him raising it was entertaining. He had to figure out how to feed the chick and made a weird-looking puppet of a hen to give it food with, and when it grew bigger he took it to a lady who raised chickens like pets because it was pooping all over the place and his landlord didn't know he was keeping pets, which he wasn't allowed to be doing. He named the chicken Rambo, although he wasn't sure if it was a boy or a girl.

But you can't hatch eggs you just buy at the grocery store because they're not fertilized and they're normally refrigerated (in Canada in the US, anyway), and eggs have to be kept warm and rotated a certain amount of times daily to hatch.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 11:13 pm

r00tb33r wrote:

This link says that the reason to refrigirate eggs has nothing to do with rotting but instead it has to do with salmonella virus. And it says that other countries that leave protective layer on the eggs so that salmonella virus doesn't get in, don't refrigirate them.

But then the question is: why is there a concept of a rotten egg? So what would cause an egg to rot, if lack of refrigiration wouldn't?

r00tb33r wrote:

Oh wow, this link sounds very informative thank you!

They mentioned certain bacteria that would be seen on light or something? But I always assumed that bacteria is way too small to be seen? Or am I misunderstanding something?

r00tb33r wrote:
You've got time to sort out the rooster question.

Yeah, that link says I have 5 days. I am pleasantly surprised. I was assuming even within one day (which is now) I would run out of time. Glad to know its not the case.

r00tb33r wrote:
No rooster=no point in trying.

No rooster = No guilt on my part

So part of me even hopes there is no rooster, as weird as it sounds

But if there was a rooster, I better hatch them

r00tb33r wrote:
Good luck!

Thank you!

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 11:14 pm

Fnord wrote:
Part of my informal "initiation" into the Philippine culture involved eating a balut.  They told me to close my eyes, hold my nose and just gulp down the contents without chewing.

It tastes worse coming back up than it did going down.[/color]

Does it mean that what I would call rotten is not really rotten, just not up to Western taste?

If so, is *this* why they are still growing, even in that state?

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 11:17 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
But you can't hatch eggs you just buy at the grocery store because they're not fertilized and they're normally refrigerated (in Canada in the US, anyway), and eggs have to be kept warm and rotated a certain amount of times daily to hatch.

They weren't at a grocery store. Someone had their own garden, gave it to pastor's wife, and pastor's wife passed it to me. So I would assume they didn't refrigirate it, but thats just my quess: I didn't ask. As far as roosters, I know in Russian villages I can hear roosters all the time. But then again, I am not in Russia, I am in America. And I have no idea about American villages, haven't been there much.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2022, 3:57 am

Even if fertilized, eggs need two things. They need to be turned and they need to be kept warm. Incubators are very simply made buy using an old style bulb with a suitable secure light fitting in a wooden box. The bulb gives off enough heat (Modern bulbs don't do this) and as long as the eggs dont get too hot or cold and the eggs are turned every now and then, they should hatch, but once they hatch, a guard around the bulb is needed to prevent the chicks from burning on the bulb.
Then one needs chick crumbs and to chane their bedding as they poop like mad! And some water, but water needs to be in a low container so there is no risk of drowning and that the container is easy foe them to get to.
When one raises chicks in this way, one realizes how much work mother hens do! We had to raise ducks this way. And when they start to run one has ducks darting round the room at top speed chansing the odd fly! It is hillarious to watch! Haha! They are funny things!