Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Noam111g
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 May 2023, 7:54 pm

Sometimes, as people with some type of autism, whether its high functioning or low functioning, tend to have unpleasant thoughts and things of that nature. As we grow up we realize what is real and what is not real and what we are supposed to think about certain subjects, but sometimes unpleasant thoughts persist despite changing behavior or way of looking at things. Can you explain what experience you've had with this, and did it possible evolve into a type of schizophrenia, or remained more at the mild side/easier side of things, and so on, to not be related to any schizophrenia like things necessarily? For me, it was always unclear, but I did tend to suffer from it frequently in the past, although today I tend to recognize reality much better. In terms of medication, can you also share what had helped you with such problems, for example did things like Haloperidol help, or maybe even Quetiapine, etc? Or did it make things worse.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2023, 10:19 pm

Having "unpleasant thoughts" is not an autistic trait. It could be traits of comorbids, though.

Autism cannot morph into schizophrenia. The onset of schizophrenia can be gradual, so early symptoms can appear before a schizophrenia diagnosis is warranted.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2023, 10:25 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Having "unpleasant thoughts" is not an autistic trait. It could be traits of comorbids, though.

Autism cannot morph into schizophrenia. The onset of schizophrenia can be gradual, so early symptoms can appear before a schizophrenia diagnosis is warranted.

Good answer. ^

I don't know what "unpleasant thoughts" means. That could mean anything from worrying about sensory issues to committing crime and hurting others.

I do not have Schizophrenia or anything that causes me to have "unpleasant thoughts" beyond normal worry and anxiety.

I've taken Quetiapine for sleep and for self-harm (stimming). I was just on it for about two weeks for sleep and had to quit because it made me feel braindead and killed my executive function. I couldn't even brush my teeth, I was so sedate. It made my life worse, but not my "unpleasant thoughts" -- because I didn't have those to begin with.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2023, 10:59 pm

I have OCD tendencies and have since childhood. For me that means that I used to have a lot of trouble getting rid of gross or unpleasant thoughts.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2023, 4:08 am

As others have said everybody has negative/pessimistic thoughts. When you add repetitive behaviors of Autism these thoughts can easily become negative thought loops.

Understanding this has been a significant help, but not a cure-all for me.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2023, 9:21 pm

I've always been prone to anxiety, but it hasn't overwhelmed me so far, though it's sometimes felt close to doing that. I don't think I've ever been clinically depressed - I've probably felt no more miserable than the average person, and it's usually been a function of some crap I've been going through rather than having a life of its own. I don't feel much strong elation either, not since my distant youth, but I'm content with milder forms of happiness. I'm rarely troubled by morbid thoughts for long. I'm rather a practical person, so if I don't feel good then I try to figure out why and then I look at my options for making myself feel better.

When I was a young child I used to entertain a few scary superstitious ideas, and would have to perform little rituals to protect myself from imagined predatorial beings. But those paranoias were mild and short-lived enough for me to easily hide them from everybody, they didn't take over much of my everyday life, and I soon grew out of them. At the same time I sometimes thought I was Superboy, and I think the last thing I had was in my early teens when I suspected I might be Jesus. I think it was all fairly normal stuff. Kids do get some funny beliefs into their heads, and many of the adults in ancient times had ideas just as bizarre as any of mine. Indeed, I think a lot of them still do. The mind can be a macabre place for anybody without a strong scientific, no-nonsense grounding.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2023, 11:25 am

I always struggled with negative repetitive thoughts. I started to see a therapist bc of that and got on meds and it helped.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2023, 11:41 am

If you mean unpleasant thoughts as in violent thoughts, most humans get those, because we are predators.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2023, 12:08 pm

KitLily wrote:
If you mean unpleasant thoughts as in violent thoughts, most humans get those, because we are predators.

I used to get those now and then, but I found them quite pleasant, revenge being sweet and all that.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2023, 12:20 pm

I think I just get them because I've been stuck in a goldfish bowl going round and round, unable to do what I want to do, for 18 years. Not much fun.