Page 1 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

For those of you who have taken an official IQ test, what did you score?
I have not taken an official IQ test before 12%  12%  [ 6 ]
Under 75 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
75-80 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
85-89 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
90-95 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
96-99 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
100-105 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
106-109 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
110-115 12%  12%  [ 6 ]
116-119 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
120-125 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
126-129 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
130+ 33%  33%  [ 16 ]
140+ 14%  14%  [ 7 ]
150+ 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
Show me the results 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 49

Muse933277
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2022, 12:46 pm

For those of you that have taken an official IQ test (not an unofficial one on the internet) what was your score?

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2022, 6:10 am

While it was official and relatively recent (2011), I was not informed it was an Iq test till I got the results , and was not given a heads up that a reading comprehension section was timed

I ended up retaking the reading part knowing it was timed, finished it, and never got the results cuz tester lost them. Yes it was the same tester who did not tell me it was timed the first time

By her reaction when I finished, I think she thought I was guessing

I think it is worth fleshing out how these lowish scores were later used by employment counsellots with acess to them to try to talk me out of web design and humanities.

It may be an overly barbaric approach to career guidance even if the test is given properly

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2022, 8:25 am

Never done one, but judging by how well I do on high-g loaded tests and subjects, I'm pretty confident I'm in the top 2% (>130).

But I don't know what the link between IQ and being able to shift frames on a problem is. Probably something there, but maybe not particularly strong.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2022, 8:39 am

"Above average" and uneven.
At odds ranging between seperate areas that scored delayed to superior range.

That was over 10 years ago.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2022, 9:02 am

PseudointellectualHorse
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Apr 2022, 8:37 pm

My IQ is near-perfect. It's 98.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2022, 12:25 am

PseudointellectualHorse wrote:
My IQ is near-perfect. It's 98.

Why didn't you vote accordingly? You not voting while others do distorts the stats.

I guess your IQ *is* pretty low since you don't realize it, LOL

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2022, 2:15 am

This big: <-----------------------------------> 8)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2022, 4:49 am

IQ doesn’t mean all that much outside a “Western,” mainstream context.

People like Dinka tribespeople would probably score low even if they are geniuses. Hence, the “racial” thing.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2022, 6:50 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

People like Dinka tribespeople would probably score low even if they are geniuses. Hence, the “racial” thing.

I don’t see what can be “cultural” about just math, unless you say some cultures are poorly educated. IQ test is all about shapes. I haven’t seen people in European cultures toying around with those too much outside of IQ test.

This kind of thinking is partly to blame for decline in education where they take out Shakespeare and others since they are “white” poets. If they also view math as part of a “white” culture, then no wonder math education gets worse and worse.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2022, 7:04 am

The_Znof wrote:

While it was official and relatively recent (2011), I was not informed it was an Iq test till I got the results , and was not given a heads up that a reading comprehension section was timed

I ended up retaking the reading part knowing it was timed, finished it, and never got the results cuz tester lost them. Yes it was the same tester who did not tell me it was timed the first time

By her reaction when I finished, I think she thought I was guessing

I think it is worth fleshing out how these lowish scores were later used by employment counsellots with acess to them to try to talk me out of web design and humanities.

It may be an overly barbaric approach to career guidance even if the test is given properly

Wow, it sounds like she was biased against you. How did you meet her? And how did you end up taking a test you weren’t told what it was?!

Maybe you should find a different tester and specifically order IQ test.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2022, 8:20 am

Where do you get the idea that they've taken Shakespeare and other "white poets" out of the English curriculum? They certainly haven't. The European literary tradition in classrooms is quite alive and well.

What I said applies more to the "verbal" part of formalized IQ tests than the "performance" part. The "verbal" part is relatively biased towards middle and upper-class Europeans and other "first worlders"----though not intentionally.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2022, 9:14 am

My IQ is high enough to qualify me for Mensa membership, but my aspieness provoked some of my teachers into saying things like, "For such a smart kid, you sure are stupid!"

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2022, 3:27 pm

QFT wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I don’t see what can be “cultural” about just math, unless you say some cultures are poorly educated. IQ test is all about shapes. I haven’t seen people in European cultures toying around with those too much outside of IQ test.

This kind of thinking is partly to blame for decline in education where they take out Shakespeare and others since they are “white” poets. If they also view math as part of a “white” culture, then no wonder math education gets worse and worse.

A lot of the cultural bias isn't about the content of the test, but about the concept of "testing". We don't realize it because Western people learn it very young, but test-taking is actually a learned skill. If you've never been in the situation of someone asking you a bunch of questions they already know the answer to because they want to figure out how much you know, it can be pretty confusing. A lot of people like the Dinka are uncooperative during IQ tests, not because they're unwilling but because they don't understand what is expected of them. Ergo, they score poorly because they're not answering in a way that reflects their actual level of understanding of the world. They might be great at math, but not realize that you're asking them math questions because you want to know what they know about math.

This is also the same reason some autistic kids score way poorer than their actual ability, and ABA can result in big jumps in tested IQ. Autistic people are less good at picking up unspoken social conventions, including test-taking skills, while ABA is basically nonstop testing so it gives them lots of practice with test-taking.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2022, 3:31 pm

There's also "generational" bias.

If you show a present-day kid a picture of a typewriter or a rotary phone, the kid would probably not know what either one of these items are.

Nor would the kid be able to tell the examiner how either one of those items works.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2022, 4:28 pm

QFT wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I will be dead within 2 decades, without children.
I don't care. :mrgreen:
The joys of being single. 8)