Questioning if I understand the consequences of my actions

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2022, 10:56 pm

As a person with Autism Spectrum Disorder, I am afraid that I could commit petty sexual crime without mens rea, because I don't understand some body languages very well, specifically body languages that are supposed to be simple to understand, and I don't understand mixed messages very well, even though it's obvious.

I get scared that I can't agree or disagree if I am being inappropriate, even when my friends say that I am a good friend to them.

I know that studies say that people with Autism Spectrum Disorder are more likely to be victims than being perpetrators, but the problem is crime is a very broad term, and you need social skills to follow specific laws. Lacking social skills can highten the risk for petty criminal behavior, specifically related to invading boundaries.

I sometimes become violent and very stressed when I am in a completely different environment, and at the moment, I don't feel safe, but to others, I am seen as a criminal. It's embarrassing!

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2022, 7:11 am

I am not sure I can help you. One of the differences between Aspies and NT is eye contact. Most people look directly into a persons eyes. I do not because of being an Aspie. Because of that trait, NTs will automatically assume I am evil, dangerous, someone to be avoided. They make a false assumption.

Several years ago, I started experimenting by using a type of one way sunglasses. These are glasses that permit me to see out but others cannot see my eyes. Therefore they could not automatically assume that I possessed these negative characteristics. What was interesting is that after I began wearing these, people would come up to me and begin pleasant conversations. This never happened before. It was like becoming an NT.

Anyways you might check to see how you look at others. Do you have good eye to eye contact or do you look slightly to the side.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2022, 7:19 am

FranzOren wrote:
As a person with Autism Spectrum Disorder, I am afraid that I could commit petty sexual crime without mens rea, because I don't understand some body languages very well, specifically body languages that are supposed to be simple to understand, and I don't understand mixed messages very well, even though it's obvious.

I get scared that I can't agree or disagree if I am being inappropriate, even when my friends say that I am a good friend to them.

I know that studies say that people with Autism Spectrum Disorder are more likely to be victims than being perpetrators, but the problem is crime is a very broad term, and you need social skills to follow specific laws. Lacking social skills can highten the risk for petty criminal behavior, specifically related to invading boundaries.

I sometimes become violent and very stressed when I am in a completely different environment, and at the moment, I don't feel safe, but to others, I am seen as a criminal. It's embarrassing!

The best thing might be communicating directly in a way that isn't demanding or threatening. If it's someone you can trust and who cares about you, they should understand if you have difficulty reading body language and need to communicate directly. I don't think any reasonable person is going to be turned off by clear requests for consent.

Also, try to remember that what's considered appropriate can vary between individuals. A lot of NTs are quick to point out when they find us inappropriate, but aren't understanding when we find them inappropriate. Yes, we live in their world, but it's not our job to be like them or serve them.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2022, 1:12 pm

Thank you!

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2022, 4:29 pm

jimmy m wrote:
I am not sure I can help you. One of the differences between Aspies and NT is eye contact. Most people look directly into a persons eyes. I do not because of being an Aspie. Because of that trait, NTs will automatically assume I am evil, dangerous, someone to be avoided. They make a false assumption.

Several years ago, I started experimenting by using a type of one way sunglasses. These are glasses that permit me to see out but others cannot see my eyes. Therefore they could not automatically assume that I possessed these negative characteristics. What was interesting is that after I began wearing these, people would come up to me and begin pleasant conversations. This never happened before. It was like becoming an NT.

Anyways you might check to see how you look at others. Do you have good eye to eye contact or do you look slightly to the side.

I don't have a problem making eye contact, I have trouble understanding mixed messages that are supposed to be obvious and body languages that I could misinterpret as giving consent. That is why I made rules for myself to not do anything that I am not sure if this is okay to do or not, and ask questions to see if I can change my behavior.

My social skills is not that great, but I make my own social rules to make sure I don't overstep boundaries, but I am afraid that I make mistakes and do something inappropriate without meaning to.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2022, 5:50 pm

FranzOren wrote:
My social skills is not that great, but I make my own social rules to make sure I don't overstep boundaries, but I am afraid that I make mistakes and do something inappropriate without meaning to.

That is the right approach.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2022, 6:27 pm

Thank you!