Try to dance but do not do well 13%  13%  [ 4 ]
Decent at dancing 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
Very good at moving to music and very elegant 13%  13%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 30

Lady Strange
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Apr 2022, 8:42 am

Do you dance awkwardly or not at all or are you good at it? I wonder how many of us autistics have trouble with it. My husband jokes that I dance like a wooden board and he is correct.

Pteranomom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Apr 2022, 10:55 am

I love to dance. My husband is the awkward dancer. Am I an good at dancing? Now there's the question. I don't know. I've never danced like other people, but luckily I've never felt like I should--I just like moving with the music.

Shadweller
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Apr 2022, 11:25 am

I am probably a very cringe "dancer". I love and feel music deeply though, so if I have certain combinations of things to make me loose my self consciousness and inhibitions (even when own my own in private) then I just do w/e comes naturally when I feel the music and if I want to move to it. It probably is best if I keep this to the privacy of my own 4 walls though, given the type of comments and reactions I got from other people whenever I did try anything like that in public :lol:

Safe to say I am not an "elegant" or natural dancer.

Anyone remember Theresa May doing that "dance" during some Tory party conference? How cringey was that!? Most cringey thing ever?

Can we post links here? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbCDFNRA-Wo

This is what the British do so well :lol:

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2022, 11:33 am

Someone once told me that I have a very interesting dancing style.

I'll let you decide on what was meant by this.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2022, 12:10 pm

I made videos of myself dancing to see if I was any good, and if I could see if there was anything there to reproduce for public consumption.......sometimes I look at them and think they're OK but other times I think they're terrible.

CrazyEspy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Apr 2022, 12:12 pm

I think I look awkward when I'm really enjoying some music in general, I feel it so much that I more often retreat into myself than outwardly dance to something.

MindEngine
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Apr 2022, 12:21 pm

I don't feel at easy dancing although I like music very much and it's spontaneous to make some dance. But I never was able or interested to reproduce what people not-ASD understand as dance. Music gives me a lot of different and fanciful impressions that I can't convey in some basic normal dance. I also like genres which are not very 'danceable'.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2022, 12:34 pm

I'm extremely poor at all things that require whole body movement, not just dancing. So I'm very poor at most sports. I suffered a lot at school due to that. Now I realize that it's poor gross motor skills due to autism.

ThisTimelessMoment
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Apr 2022, 12:46 pm

I embrace the awkward! My usual dancing style is like a disjointed marionette on muscle relaxants and speed at the same time. I really enjoy it and find it helps enormously with dropping tension from my body. MDMA taught me about dancing. I've never looked back!

I didn't answer the poll as none of the categories seemed to be right.

SpiralingCrow
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2022, 1:17 pm

temp1234 wrote:
I'm extremely poor at all things that require whole body movement, not just dancing. So I'm very poor at most sports. I suffered a lot at school due to that. Now I realize that it's poor gross motor skills due to autism.

Same with me. I always got injured, especially in group sports. It's hard enough getting my own body coordinated let alone with a group of people. When it comes to dancing, I feel awkward and feel I look awkward. So unless I'm purposely doing a silly little dance with my 4 year old, I just don't.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2022, 6:04 pm

I have old videotape and photos of my dancing. I’m graceful and good at it. One of the few things I am good at physically. I miss it.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2022, 8:27 pm

Took lessons and that helped a lot. Did tree climbing and gymnastics as a kid. Karate in high school (age 13 thru 15). My wife and i took dance lessons when we were dating. I still am at my best when i dance with her. Not much stamina these days so i conserve movement on the floor now. Haven’t been since pandemic started.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2022, 8:46 pm

My NT husband and ASD daughter are awkward dancers. (both introverted)
My ASD self and NT son are good dancers. (both extraverted)

In our family it is not correlated with ASD - it is correlated with outward expressiveness.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2022, 8:56 pm

Since I'm not naturally clumsy, and since my bodily expressions does reflect my inner state...

I'd say I'll do really well with both practice and actual confidence.

If I hesitate or feeling shy, it'll reflect on my movements even if it's practiced.
Or, being reckless and shameless without enough practice. :lol:

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Lady Strange
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Apr 2022, 9:10 pm

Lol my husband also says I dance like that Seinfeld episode with Elaine where she gets up and dances and its all jerky and awkward and everyone is looking at her like 8O :D

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2022, 11:37 pm

I can't coordinate anything properly, so I don't ever even try to dance.