What type of neurodevelopental disorder is this?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2022, 8:54 pm

I have some milder symptoms of Intellectual Disability, but am intelligent.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2022, 4:02 am

that could be part of being autistic or many other diagnoses. It could just simply be "being human". Each of us is different, and we will have different intelligence, every human in the world.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2022, 11:04 am

Can children with learning difficulties have skills in some things? My cousin has learning difficulties but had talents when she was a child, that were self-taught (her parents didn't have the talents and she didn't get them from her classmates). She could play the keyboard and draw really fantastic pictures. She could also dance brilliantly.

I've often wondered if she's on the spectrum but although she's shy she's too good at making friends to be on the spectrum.

Alivia
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Apr 2022, 11:23 am

Quote:
I've often wondered if she's on the spectrum but although she's shy she's too good at making friends to be on the spectrum.

What. That's not how this works...

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2022, 12:55 pm

Alivia wrote:
Quote:

Then why can't I make friends even though my social skills are existent and I am brilliant at masking the ASD and am likeable and can relate to NTs?

How can someone, particularly a child, with autism have the ability to make friends with their NT peers? Autism is called autism for a reason.

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Apr 2022, 1:18 pm

I don't recall having an issue making (NT) friends, generally, as a kid. Always had neighborhood friends & friends from school (different groups). I was diagnosed with Asperger's as an adult (a bit before the DSM 5), & still have good friends, both newer & from high school.

Joe90 wrote:
How can someone, particularly a child, with autism have the ability to make friends with their NT peers? Autism is called autism for a reason.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2022, 3:19 pm

Blue_Star wrote:
I don't recall having an issue making (NT) friends, generally, as a kid. Always had neighborhood friends & friends from school (different groups). I was diagnosed with Asperger's as an adult (a bit before the DSM 5), & still have good friends, both newer & from high school.

Joe90 wrote:

Wow, how did you do it? :scratch:
I'm high-functioning and I make an effort with people yet judging by my social life I might as well be severely autistic and non-verbal. I don't even find eye contact difficult. A lot of my social skills are natural. There's only a few things I have to consciously push myself at but it's still not impossible.

As a child under 12 I had friends but after about age 12 I became very lonely and nobody at school cared about me any more even though I still cared about them and wanted to hang out with them. I made some friends at college but lost touch with most of them rather quickly, and the others turned into bullies. I have a small number of friends dotted about but not many. Usually people ghost me, even on Facebook. It's why I take things so personally, as Asperger's shouldn't really stop me from being able to make friends. Is it because I'm dumb? Or boring?

Sorry OP for derailing your thread but you're quite interested in this sort of thing so it might not be annoying. :wink:

Alivia
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Apr 2022, 3:40 pm

Are you sure this is not more of an anxiety thing? Because that's going to cause problems by itself...

Anomaly_76
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Apr 2022, 3:45 pm

Alivia wrote:
Quote:

Agreed. We're neurodivergent. That's the operative word -- divergent. Which means there really is no typical when it comes to being on the spectrum (an outdated concept I find to be too linear to be accurate -- I rather like the spider-web graph used by the Aspie quiz -- which also reiterates the term neurodivergent).

Just how the hell am I supposed to know WHICH age to act, anyway? :lol:

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2022, 4:41 pm

My symptoms of ASD now:

* Trouble understanding some nonverbal cues, and mixed messages
* Sensory issues
* Trouble adapting to a different environment
* Tend to only learn things that I am interested in

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2022, 6:56 pm

FranzOren wrote:
My symptoms of ASD now:

* Sensory issues

My symptoms now are just basically sensory issues and rigid thinking. I don't seem to have any others. Is there any point in me even having autism lurking around on my medical records?
My social isolation is a side effect more than a symptom, if that makes sense.
My main issues nowadays are anxiety and ADHD. But the stupid people that assessed me for ADHD said I still have symptoms of autism too, probably due to my history of being friendless and socially awkward, and they all seem to say severe anxiety is part of autism, so yeah. I do have social anxiety too but it doesn't make me socially clueless.

Quote:
Agreed. We're neurodivergent. That's the operative word -- divergent. Which means there really is no typical when it comes to being on the spectrum (an outdated concept I find to be too linear to be accurate -- I rather like the spider-web graph used by the Aspie quiz -- which also reiterates the term neurodivergent).

Yes but it seems that autism is becoming so vast, so divergent, that soon everybody in the world will be qualified for an autistic disorder. I miss the days when autism meant just one thing. Then I would have been diagnosed with something that fits me more, such as anxiety disorder and depression.

After all, the nature of autism does affect social skills in some way. That is what autism is. If I was a doctor and someone could make friends easily in childhood and in adulthood then I probably wouldn't diagnose them with autism.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2022, 7:08 pm

My sister has ID and was diagnosed Aspergers in Australia a few years back. She is highly intuitive and very intelligent in certain aspects, while extremely naive in others. She used to be easily taken advantage of, but has grown a whole lot wiser as she’s matured.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2022, 7:56 pm

Joe90 wrote:
FranzOren wrote:
My symptoms of ASD now:

* Sensory issues

My symptoms now are just basically sensory issues and rigid thinking. I don't seem to have any others. Is there any point in me even having autism lurking around on my medical records?
My social isolation is a side effect more than a symptom, if that makes sense.
My main issues nowadays are anxiety and ADHD. But the stupid people that assessed me for ADHD said I still have symptoms of autism too, probably due to my history of being friendless and socially awkward, and they all seem to say severe anxiety is part of autism, so yeah. I do have social anxiety too but it doesn't make me socially clueless.

Quote:

Yes but it seems that autism is becoming so vast, so divergent, that soon everybody in the world will be qualified for an autistic disorder. I miss the days when autism meant just one thing. Then I would have been diagnosed with something that fits me more, such as anxiety disorder and depression.

After all, the nature of autism does affect social skills in some way. That is what autism is. If I was a doctor and someone could make friends easily in childhood and in adulthood then I probably wouldn't diagnose them with autism.

You can ask a medical professional what their perspective are and why they think you have ASD. Having ASD doesn't necessarily mean that you can't have social skills.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2022, 6:18 am

FranzOren wrote:

I have some milder symptoms of Intellectual Disability, but am intelligent.

Depends what symptoms you mean. Delays in some areas but not others are characteristic of many different conditions, depending on which areas a person is delayed in. For example, delays in language and/or adaptive living skills are common among autistic people, delays in specific academic subjects are a hallmark of specific learning disabilities such as dyslexia, dyscalculia, etc, delays in self-regulation are typical of ADHD, etc.

CrazyEspy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Apr 2022, 9:47 am

You can have an intellectual disability in one area and not others, I for example have dyscalculia and need a lot of help when it comes to figuring out more complex financial matters I'm literally not able to understand besides on a very basic level. I can read/write just fine though and think in visuals/internal narration.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2022, 1:38 pm

That makes sense.