Autistic adults vaccinate at a high rate

Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2022, 4:24 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I've had all 3 jabs, but the point is I was just as vulnerable as an 80-year-old with underlying health problems and I didn't even know it, just because I'm on the spectrum.

Higher risk does not equate to the risk level of an 80 year old. From what I have read it is autistics with a lot of co morbidities that are at highest risk. Also a lot of autistics live in not so healthy group homes and other facilities. Besides the vaccines, masking, social distancing the best thing you can do is continue to work on mitigating your self esteem, anxiety and negative thought loop issues plus the usual healthy diet and exercising. Poor mental health does weaken your immune system.

That all said between these variants being weaker, having been vaccinated and boosted, and having “mild” autism with few co morbidities your risk for severe COVID is probably pretty low.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2022, 4:28 pm

You haven't gotten COVID, Joe, for over two years now.

Cross fingers.

But I believe this indicates that your immune system is pretty healthy.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2022, 4:30 pm

rowan_nichol wrote:
Don't understand where any connections to the two major US political parties comes in.

Republicans tend to mitigate less then Democrats so if you survey a group of people who are majority Democrats they are more likely to vaccinate.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ThisTimelessMoment
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 May 2022, 5:30 pm

There does seem to me to be a tendancy for SOME autistic folks to be quite rules focused. Perhaps it's a way of doing masking? Having rules for how everything should work in order to fit in with society. Society which SEEMS rules based but in fact where everyone breaks rules and lies all the time. Could this be a reason for slightly more autistic people getting the jab? I'm not sure I'm being at all clear here. It's late and I can't sleep!

Why they think autistic people are more susceptible to negative effects from covid is beyond me.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2022, 5:34 pm

I have Asperger's *and* I'm left-handed. I should have died in my early 30's. :roll:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2022, 5:36 pm

Many people with Asperger's read up on scientific developments. And this includes on COVID.

This leads them, especially if they believe what they read, to seek to immunize themselves as much as possible.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2022, 5:49 pm

The article makes it sound like it's surprising we've gotten ourselves vaccinated because we're too trapped in our own little worlds to even be aware there's a pandemic going on.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2022, 5:50 pm

It's weird how it contradicts itself. It's often mentioned here that Aspies are more likely to fall for false news articles or threats, yet at the same time it is mentioned that Aspies are less likely to fall for false news articles and threats. What do the non-Aspies do then?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2022, 5:54 pm

It sort of goes to show---it depends on the person.

You have gullible Aspies....you have gullible NT's.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2022, 5:55 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
The article makes it sound like it's surprising we've gotten ourselves vaccinated because we're too trapped in our own little worlds to even be aware there's a pandemic going on.

That's why I dislike autism being called autism, because the original meaning of autism doesn't fit a lot of us and it can be so misleading.

They should really come up with a better label. Mind you, dementia is also an odd, misleading word with a completely new meaning to its origin.

But yes, you're right, it's basically what the article is saying. I believe it applies more to low-functioning autistic people (I know functioning levels aren't existent now but, well, they obviously are) who require care and have other issues like epilepsy that could make them vulnerable.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2022, 5:57 pm

"Low-functioning" autistic folks frequently have co-morbids which might make them more susceptible to serious illness from COVID.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2022, 5:59 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
It sort of goes to show---it depends on the person.

You have gullible Aspies....you have gullible NT's.

But when I worried about Putin's threat of nuking the rest of the world if we get involved in his little war games, I was told here that I'm just classically taking it literally.

I just hate all my behaviours being put down to autism instead of other reasons. For example, if I was being bullied and didn't tell anyone, people would assume that I didn't tell anyone because I can't express my feelings - when the reason I didn't tell anyone is because I chose not to because I didn't want to worry other people or that I just wanted to settle it myself.

I hate everything I do being put down to autism. This is why I don't tell anyone I'm on the spectrum, so that I can be seen as me and not the diagnosis.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2022, 6:43 pm

I wouldn't ascribe your fear of Putin to having autism.

The fear is justified-----the likelihood of it ever coming to fruition is miniscule.

ThisTimelessMoment
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 May 2022, 12:47 am

All this about comorbids in the study makes me wonder what the selection bias might have been. What other studies had these "autistic" people participated in? There were no control subjects in the study; it used data from the general population. Seems likely to skew results if you ask me.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2022, 6:57 pm

Those with Autism do have an altered immune response that skews towards a more pro-inflammatory state over anti-inflammatory, which in theory might create the environment for a more severe outcome due to more cellular damage. Whether innate to Autism or modifiable (lack of sunlight leading to Vitamin D deficiency, for example), I'm not sure there. The same for severity of Autism itself, as I can't recall it being mentioned. There's quite a few papers on this, and it's generally conclusive that this is the case, whatever the cause.

It's not exclusive to Autism, and Schizophrenia has something similar.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2022, 1:47 pm

My logical line of thinking was “better the vaccine than death”

It would seem the anti-vax-ers had a different line of thinking.

My 12 year old son was not vax’d.

For him my thinking was “his risk of death is low - the risk of unknown side effects may be higher”. He just got over the virus. Took two weeks. He did not die. Hope we made the right choice. The virus may also have unknown side effects.