Does anyone else "dissect" certain foods?

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Qbeez999
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Feb 2024, 8:01 am

I do it with wraps, sandwiches and other foods that are combined. I don't like sandwiches too thick, I don't like too much lettuce. Also if there is something I don't like, like olives for example I have to take all of them out before I will eat.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2024, 9:13 am

Sure. I do it sometimes with pizzas, sandwiches and burgers.
I kept picking off vegetables and certain meat.
Almost all the time with noodles.

And since my front teeth are screwed, I had to with most foods bigger than bite sized.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2024, 12:55 pm

Oh yeah, I do that. If it's food I don't make myself, I'll pick it apart and reassemble so it's right.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2024, 1:56 pm

I really don't do that. Maybe I do the opposite. If a dish has many different elements that make up the overall flavor of the dish, I would ideally want to get a little of everything in every bite.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2024, 2:34 pm

I can't think of any food I habitually dissect.

But, I generally favor simple foods and don't mix them.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2024, 2:40 pm

I take the cherry off of Cherry Bakewells.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2024, 2:40 pm

I usually won't even bother to eat something I don't make myself or know in advance exactly how its made. Its not usually worth the hassle of trying to remove things and/or reassemble them.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2024, 2:53 pm

I'd certainly want to correct any food I was given if it didn't meet my picky standards, and that would include removing things. It's hard to get a ready-made salad (or salad-type sandwich) that doesn't contain raw onion, and raw onion burns my mouth so that would have to go. Ditto olives. Other people tend to make sandwiches such that bits of the filling are likely to drop out. I don't know why they do that. Who in the world wants to be dropping bits of food all over the place? So naturally if I'm given one of those, I'll remove the excess and/or squeeze the bread together around the edges so that the filling is contained more securely. Don't know if my behaviour is considered antisocial or not, but it's less antisocial than rejecting the offering entirely.

It's one reason why I usually prepare my own meals from basic ingredients - other people rarely do the job to my standards.

vergil96
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Feb 2024, 3:58 pm

Yes, salad has to go, same for too much sauce. And onion - onion is the worst, the smell lasts for the whole day.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2024, 4:09 pm

It depends, but I'll pick pineapple off of pizza because it's a crime against the gods and nature.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2024, 4:22 pm

in a positive way sometimes.

Like once I actually stopped to examin a box of chicken fried rice. Studied the ingredients...bits of chicken, peas, other frozen veggies...umm...some scallions, and what are these...little yellow things. Little tiny bits of diced scambled egg!

What a concept! Dicing up scrambled egg and mixing it with rice. Have used the concept myself ever since.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2024, 8:47 pm

When I eat KFC, I take the skin off the chicken and the meat off the bones, I eat the meat and than I eat the skin. I'm very weird that way. Also, when I'm eating cake, I eat the cake first and I leave the icing for last.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2024, 9:10 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
in a positive way sometimes.

Like once I actually stopped to examin a box of chicken fried rice. Studied the ingredients...bits of chicken, peas, other frozen veggies...umm...some scallions, and what are these...little yellow things. Little tiny bits of diced scambled egg!

What a concept! Dicing up scrambled egg and mixing it with rice. Have used the concept myself ever since.

Interesting. I've always just chucked a few eggs in and let them cook with the rice et al.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2024, 8:53 am

I do that a lot. Especially when I cook for just myself I like to make a large pot of food with everything in the fridge thrown in. When I eat it though I go from the hardest to softest. :D Like tough meat first, then potatoes, mushrooms, progress to softer stuff like eggs, tomatoes...etc. It's very lucky that I use chopsticks and can pick up a tiny crumb if I want to. When I serve meals, though I always keep item separate. My family never have to pick food apart.

Suicidal_Vampire
Raven
Raven

05 Feb 2024, 1:55 pm

Yes, all the time!
People get annoyed since they don't have same problems and they don't want me "playing with my food."
Recently, I had spaghetti with sauce, and I picked out all the onions. It was really inconvenient to do so, and my mom was annoyed but I would rather die than swallow them (the taste is ok, I just really hate the texture and inconsistency with the rest of the sauce).
I do this and separate my food when I think they shouldn't be mixed. I'm okay with some complete foods together though, ex. pizza (no toppings), multi-faceted soup, burritos, etc.
I also eat things one at a time, and sometimes I don't finish in time and hot food gets cold so I can't eat it (yet another reason for people to be annoyed with me).

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2024, 2:16 pm

Whenever I've eaten Viva Puff cookies, I've peeled the chocolate shell off the marshmallow, then pulled the marshmallow loose from the cookie, and eaten each part separately. If I ate them like any other cookie I would not enjoy it nearly as much.

It's funny how with Oreo cookies you're practically encouraged to take them apart and eat the middle first, but with any other food it's just weird.