Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

H_Taterz
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 May 2022, 12:44 pm

I have a love/hate relationship with language and textbooks.
I get bored very easily so if something doesn't grab my interest, I won't absorb anything.
The cookie-cutter advice, like taking notes, doesn't work for me.
This is how I learn:

Global learners are intuitive decision-makers for whom interpersonal connections are important. They like to take their time when learning and think things through. They may have emotional responses to learning. They like to learn through stories and anecdotes and can often imagine what happens next. They tend to see the big picture and overlook details. They can solve complex problems and put things together in innovative ways, but they have trouble explaining how they did it. They often don't see connections right away, but then suddenly everything clicks.

If this sounds like you, let me know what your best tips are for studying topics you find uninteresting or irrelevant.

Pteranomom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 May 2022, 5:42 pm

Most textbooks are boring. Luckily there exists a whole wealth of non-textbook ways to learn stuff, especially here on the internet. What subjects are you trying to learn?

H_Taterz

16 May 2022, 8:02 pm

Vindication! Thanks!
I’m so grateful for the internet.

I’m taking a Microsoft Certification exam, but I need real world application for it to stick. I just can’t seem to focus.

Pteranomom wrote:
Most textbooks are boring. Luckily there exists a whole wealth of non-textbook ways to learn stuff, especially here on the internet. What subjects are you trying to learn?

Pteranomom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 May 2022, 11:05 pm

Oof, that's harder since it's more obscure. Try reading the quizzes first and then the textbook--having the questions in your mind already may help you identify the important information as you read.

Versacebrain
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 May 2022, 5:40 pm

I’m the same way, and there’s hope, hehe. I just graduated from an Ivy League school (not without lots of…. Anguish). Anyway, get accommodations from anywhere you can.
-abuse quizlet. Find collections other people have already made. People get specific.
- abuse public access stuff like khan academy
- force yourself to make many many graphic organizers. When you cant map it out in your brain, you cant map it out on paper. thats how you identify what you do and what you dont know. Then make the same organizers but neater. if you’re anything like me, you force yourself to go to journals published on those topics and try to find articles that interest you.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 8:44 am

I suffer from short term memory issues. They made it very difficult for me to read. When I entered high school (around 60 years ago), in my Freshman year, I took a very interesting course. It fixed my problem. It taught me a different way of reading. It was called SPEED READING. It taught me to read from the inside out. Whenever I read a paragraph I first searched for the most important word, the key word. The word in which the paragraph was written for. Then I started there and began to construct the contents of the paragraph one piece at a time from the inside out.

So I read normally most of the time. But if the topic is very intense, I apply the techniques of speed reading.

Here is a few links on the subject:

Speed Reading

Scientific Speed Reading: How to Read 300% Faster in 20 Minutes

Is Speed Reading BS?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 8:48 am

H_Taterz wrote:
I have a love/hate relationship with language and textbooks.
I get bored very easily so if something doesn't grab my interest, I won't absorb anything.
The cookie-cutter advice, like taking notes, doesn't work for me.
This is how I learn:

Global learners are intuitive decision-makers for whom interpersonal connections are important. They like to take their time when learning and think things through. They may have emotional responses to learning. They like to learn through stories and anecdotes and can often imagine what happens next. They tend to see the big picture and overlook details. They can solve complex problems and put things together in innovative ways, but they have trouble explaining how they did it. They often don't see connections right away, but then suddenly everything clicks.

If this sounds like you, let me know what your best tips are for studying topics you find uninteresting or irrelevant.

It sounds like me apart from the big picture thing - I tend to see the details and overlook the big picture. I've heard that learning is always an emotional process and that the education system fails to appreciate that.

I don't know of any fix for the problem of only being able to learn what the learner happens to be naturally interested in, apart from avoiding subjects that bore you, if the world will let you do that. One of the biggest problems with my education was that the motivation was too far removed from the material being taught. We were just taught because it was "on the syllabus," and that was expected to be enough of a reason to bend our minds to the work. I do a lot better with hands-on learning. If I have an immediate problem to solve I usually become very interested in anything that looks like it will help me solve it. So maybe taking on practical assignments would help. When I'm given an assignment I usually rail against it initially, because I don't like tasks being imposed on me, but after that, when I've got used to the new situation I tend to step up to the plate and get on with it, and to make the task my own.

aajiplanet
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 May 2022, 7:30 am

hours study is not important, studying correctly is important.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2022, 7:57 am

I might be in the most annoying, counter productive way and possibly the worst way.

And, add poor verbal comprehension and apathy. :lol:
So no stories and scenarios for me.
Also no anticipations between what works as well, only input.

For now, I still have this habit of having to compensate for poor verbal comprehension and time limits at school (more like wanting to be the one who finishes first) -- by looking at the key words and patterns first, translate into real life scenarios then details gets muddier.

So, after that process, I have to read it twice for the missing details -- a habit I did not develop.
More than trice and with reflection or having to wait for different emotional states if my head is not cooperating.

Not only it applies to textbooks, it also applies to other medias like movies and games.
In a way, my head makes everything has a replay value.

Good for entertainment and novelty. Terrible at deadlines.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2022, 8:58 am

I keep meaning to give Anki a try - it's a flashcard learning method that purports to use a clever timing algorithm to maximise learning efficiency. I guess that suggests that conventional study methods are nothing like as efficient as they might be. Anything that might cut down the time consumed by the usual ways of learning would seem worth a look, though whether it actually does what it says on the tin is another matter. It's encouraging that the makers don't seem to be trying to sell it though.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anki_(software)