Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2022, 8:37 am

Research suggests autism increases risk for COVID complications

Quote:
New research indicates autistic people are at higher risk of developing complications from COVID-19.

A Vermont doctor says she’s witnessing the pattern firsthand.

Dr. Melissa Houser opened her nonprofit, All Brains Belong VT, a little less than a year ago in the middle of the pandemic in Montpelier. Her practice prioritizes inclusive health care for patients whose brains function differently than what’s considered “typical.” That includes people with autism.

She says she treats so many people with invisible disabilities, she has a unique perspective that supports this new research.

Of Houser’s 175 patients, about 120 identify as neurodivergent. She says about 80% of that group are presenting with long COVID-like symptoms: tiredness, shortness of breath and chest pain, to name a few.

“We have over 100 people who are really suffering,” Houser said.

Autism, ADHD and dyslexia are all neurodivergencies.

“It is well-established in literature that neurodivergent patients have more autoimmune disease. Often, they may not be symptomatic until their autoimmune disease gets triggered,” she explained.

COVID-19 can be one of those triggers.

Many scientists believe long COVID is an autoimmune response to the virus in which the body attacks itself.

Therefore, neurodivergent people are at increased risk of long COVID

Houser urges her neurodivergent patients to remain extra cautious, especially as pandemic restrictions ease

“We all wish that this were over,” Houser said, “but it’s not over.”

bolding=mine
Again no mention of how the stresses of being Autistic in an NT world impairs the autoimmune system. The NT researchers assumption is that it is autism itself that is weakening the autoimmune system.

My advice is to try and mitigate stress as much as possible.

As the doctor said despite most people having moved on from the pandemic keep on masking indoors, avoid crowds, vaccinate, boost and so on.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

hmk66
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jun 2022, 9:17 am

I have had COVID, but for me it was extremely mild. I was very tired, but I didn't feel sick. On the second and third COVID day, I felt way better, but I had no energy to do anything. On the next day, the disease disappeared.

I felt that I didn't have a strange disease. It just felt as a pretty bad day. That's it. I didn't even sneeze, cough, no headache, no fever, no loss of appetite or ability to smell something. Just fatigue for just one day; that's it!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2022, 9:52 am

I had a mild-moderate case of COVID back in 2020. It lasted about three weeks. Loss of appetite for a few days. A slight fever for a couple of weeks. A general, flu-like feeling for about three weeks. A bad cough for the first week, then much more mild afterwards.

After COVID, I lost about 20 pounds through exercise, and am lucky enough not to have Long-Covid symptoms.

arachnids
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jun 2022, 3:05 pm

I wasn't too badly affected apart from a persistent cough, heavy feeling in chest and tachycardia. It took me three months to recover from it though. Left feeling very weak and haven't been the same since. Trying to build back fitness now.

I am not taking the damn Venlafaxine!

On Propranolol

I like cats, trees and spiders.

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act' George Orwell

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2022, 3:21 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Again no mention of how the stresses of being Autistic in an NT world impairs the autoimmune system. The NT researchers assumption is that it is autism itself that is weakening the autoimmune system.

My advice is to try and mitigate stress as much as possible.

That about stress is an excellent point.

With my being one of those mentioned who are both autistic and have autoimmune, neurological, endocrine, mitochondrial, disease, it has been seen that stress has much effect on my health in all categories.

As far as I know I've not have C19.
(and though I am in to trains I've also not had a C19, https://www.drgw.net/info/C-19) :D

And thanks to problems with medications I've also not been vaccinated, on the advice of my own physician and 2 others consulted.

Long covid looks for all the world like what I've already had for almost 20 years and my Dad for almost 40 years.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2022, 5:42 pm

I don't want to get covid now. What if I have a badly f****d up immune system and don't know it until I get covid? :cry:

I've always been told that autism is not a disease and that it cannot kill me, and that it is just a slightly different brain wiring but otherwise I will be healthy and normal physically, unlike those with downs syndrome who have physical underlying conditions as well as different brain wiring.

But now I've learnt that autism somehow will affect my immune system and I'm just as vulnerable to covid as a frail 80-year-old. So basically autism is a death sentence and we must all be kept in our own bubble because of being highly vulnerable to all the germs out there. :roll:

Very reassuring. The OP must spend hours finding these scaremongering articles about autism. When will the "Putin wants to assassinate autistic people" thread pop up? I can hardly wait.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2022, 7:53 pm

Joe90 wrote:
When will the "Putin wants to assassinate autistic people" thread pop up? I can hardly wait.

While that might not have happened yet, in 2015 there were articles about Putin having Aspergers/autism.

Here from a bipolar website is commentary on that,
https://ibpf.org/does-putin-have-aspergers/
"
Conflating a person with a condition, especially without even relying on current diagnostic methods, which are arguably subjective and fraudulent, is as dangerous as conflating a racial or religious group with one individual from a group. That is clearly the motive here, to attempt to diagnose Putin, from a distance, with a condition which seeks to clinically diagnose aberrant behavior. By suggesting Putin’s behavior departs from norms so grossly may cause his public image to be further tarnished in the western world.

Why not tarnish Putin on other grounds, I ask, which don’t have implications on the lives of others?
"

See also
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... /22855927/
"
WASHINGTON — A study from a Pentagon think tank theorizes that Russian President Vladimir Putin has Asperger's syndrome, "an autistic disorder which affects all of his decisions," according to the 2008 report obtained by USA TODAY.

Putin's "neurological development was significantly interrupted in infancy," wrote Brenda Connors, an expert in movement pattern analysis at the U.S. Naval War College in Newport, R.I. Studies of his movement, Connors wrote, reveal "that the Russian President carries a neurological abnormality."

The 2008 study was one of many by Connors and her colleagues, who are contractors for the Office of Net Assessment (ONA), an internal Pentagon think tank that helps devise long-term military strategy. The 2008 report and a 2011 study were provided to USA TODAY as part of a Freedom of Information Act request.
"

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2022, 4:42 am

So anybody who is an evil nutcase has Asperger's.

Wanting to start war is an Asperger's trait now, is it?

All the more reason for the public to hate Aspies and for someone to want to assassinate us for having the same disorder as Putin.

School shooters, evil dictators, serial killers - makes me want nothing more to do with autism if it makes people do that.

I actually have a fear of autism. I can't stand it. What a horrible curse to have if it makes people want to kill others.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2022, 7:57 am

Good reason for me to ask to keep working from home. I can use this article as supporting information.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2022, 9:02 am

I became positive for Covid while on the physical rehab unit after my falls and partial hip replacement. I didn't feel ill at all. They let me go home while still positive for it. I've the initial 2 jabs but not the booster(s).

As for the question of autoimmunity- At times of being acutely stressed I tend to experience derealisation and/or flu like symptoms.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2022, 10:15 am

Of these two:
/\(1) Autism causes susceptibility to other stuff
/\(2) Autism causes chronic stress which causes susceptibility to other stuff
I would personally favor (2)...but I studied computers so my opinion lacks weight.

What about:
/\(3) Autism attracts attention and makes other stuff more likely to be caught?

Off Topic
As I was scrolling through this thread I saw a spider crawling along the bottom of my screen and was hoping it wouldn't get away before I had a tissue to catch it with. Thanks, arachnids! :lol:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2022, 10:39 am

Joe90 wrote:
Very reassuring. The OP must spend hours finding these scaremongering articles about autism.

Not hours. All I do is Google Autism news items for the previous 24 hours and see what comes up, good or bad.

As far as scaremongering articles in the media that is what the Neurodiversity movement is trying to stop.

In my OP I expressed doubt that Autism causes Long Covid

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2022, 10:44 am

Autism or Aspergers, in and of itself, doesn’t cause Long Covid.

And people saying Putin has Aspergers don’t know the true Putin.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2022, 12:02 pm

I just panic at the thought of autism being a threat to my life, that's all.

Like today I cut myself at work when I was doing messy tasks (I had gloves on but they split and revealed where I had previously cut myself, and I did have a band aid on but it came off due to sweat), and even though I washed my hands and applied antiseptic cream on the cuts, I still worried in case I might get sepsis and die because it might trigger an autoimmune disorder that I never knew I had due to autism.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2022, 1:01 pm

I get cuts all the time. I've never gotten sepsis.

I've never had any major reactions to vaccines, either.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2022, 4:56 pm

It's just that threads like these make me feel really anxious about my health. I still don't see how a different brain wiring can cause life-threatening physical health conditions. And they say autism is not a disease? It obviously is.

But a wise person told me to take these BS articles with a pinch of salt so I'm trying to train myself to do that, although it's hard when it really triggers your anxiety and you hate autism enough as it is.