Page 2 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2022, 4:57 pm

autisticelders wrote:
I have seen recent ads inviting parents to join lawsuits against the makers of tylenol to blame use during pregnancy as the cause of their child's autism. I find this outrageous, but of course it is not about anything but going after big money in a settlement. Shakespeare was right. ( only partially sarcastic or cynical) (in the play Henry VI Shakespeare had a character saying "first thing we do, lets kill all the lawyers")

Fact Check: NO Evidence Tylenol Use During Pregnancy Is Linked To Autism
Quote:
Is Tylenol use during pregnancy linked to autism? No, there's no evidence to support that. Autism or autism spectrum disorder (ASD) is a complex developmental disability caused by differences in the brain. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), little is known about its specific causes. Diagnosing ASD can be difficult since there is no medical test.

The claim appeared in a Facebook post on July 7, 2022, under the title "AUTISM LINKED..." It opens:

Anyone who regularly used Tylenol while pregnant and then had a child with Autism should contact us now. Free Claim Review. Click Learn More now. Significant Compensation Available.

As of June 10, 2022, at least 19 lawsuits had been filed in U.S. district courts nationwide alleging a connection between acetaminophen, the active ingredient in Tylenol, and two conditions -- ASD and attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Each raises similar claims that pharmacies and drug manufacturers failed to warn about the risks associated with prenatal exposure to it. Also, many law firms, like the one in the post above, are soliciting clients online for lawsuit claim reviews.

In a July 14, 2022, email to Lead Stories, the CDC said multiple things appear to cause ASD. Acetaminophen was not on their list:

There are many different factors that have been identified that may make a child more likely to have ASD, including environmental, biologic, and genetic factors.

Although we know little about specific causes, the available evidence suggests that the following may put children at greater risk for developing ASD:

Having a sibling with ASD
Having certain genetic or chromosomal conditions, such as fragile X syndrome or tuberous sclerosis
Experiencing complications at birth
Being born to older parents

A 2019 study funded by the National Institutes of Health suggested a link between acetaminophen exposure in pregnancy and a higher risk of autism and ADHD. A 2018 study published in the American Journal of Epidemiology did as well. Separately, a 2021 "Consensus Statement" by 91 scientists, clinicians and public health professionals expressed their concerns about pregnant women using the drug.

In a July 14, 2022, email to Lead Stories, the Food and Drug Administration said such studies left its experts unconvinced:

The FDA is aware of and understands the concerns arising from reports questioning the safety of prescription and over-the-counter (OTC) pain medicines when used during pregnancy. As a result, we evaluated research studies on acetaminophen published in the medical literature and determined that they are too limited to make any recommendations based on these studies at this time. Because of this uncertainty, the use of pain medicines during pregnancy should be carefully considered. We urge pregnant persons to always discuss all medicines with their health care professionals before using them.

Dr. Ann Anderson Berry, a neonatologist at the University of Nebraska Medical Center, concurs with the FDA. In a July 14, 2022, phone interview, she said:

Studies should not be taken as conclusive. ... We have to look at it in a much more systematic way. ... I think it is entirely premature to associate Tylenol use with ASD.

And the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists issued a response to the Consensus Statement, saying it did not provide any "clear evidence that proves a direct relationship between the prudent use of acetaminophen during any trimester and fetal developmental issues" and that "patients should not be frightened away from the many benefits of acetaminophen."

The Tylenol brand of acetaminophen is made by Johnson & Johnson. In a July 14, 2022, email to Lead Stories, the company said:

The health and safety of the people who use our products is our top priority and we always recommend consumers carefully read and follow the label when using any over-the-counter medication. The label on our adult TYLENOL® products, in which acetaminophen is the active ingredient, states, 'If pregnant or breast-feeding, ask a health professional before use.' We will always evaluate new data. At this time, we are not aware of any evidence that supports a causal link between acetaminophen use during pregnancy and the risk of adverse fetal outcomes.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Jul 2022, 7:56 am

The greatest mind is the world are on the autism spectrum and we are 'under the thumb'.

Bill Gates
Einstein
Davichi
Newton
Elon Musk
Mozart

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2022, 10:29 am

Milk causes autism
Gluten causes autism
Too much TV causes autism
The Internet causes autism
Refrigerator mothers cause autism
Too many spankings cause autism
Too little spankings cause autism

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2022, 2:55 pm

Uta Frith's claims that autistics use logic to game ethics is not technically a conspiracy* theory, but kind of slides in that direction.

Quote:
The study doesn’t explain whether high-functioning adults with autism truly understand false beliefs over time, or whether they merely learn to solve the tasks, Bernier notes. But it does suggest that in the case of the moral scenarios, their ability to reason is not just delayed, but absent entirely. “If these are delays, they are persistent delays that last well into adulthood for people with typical cognitive ability,” he says.

Frith says she is delighted that these researchers have come up with a strategy that validates the theory she helped develop 25 years ago. “It does make sense of the social behavior,” she says, “and it can be linked up to certain abnormal activations in the brain.”

Impaired moral judgment is associated with distinct neural systems, including the right temporal parietal junction4. Gabrieli says his group is working on an imaging study focusing on which brain regions are active in these individuals while they are engaged in moral reasoning.

They’d better work quickly: Frith predicts that the utility of the new test may be limited. “I have no doubt that the Asperger’s community will get hold of the test, study it, and learn the scenarios,” she says.
https://www.spectrumnews.org/news/mind- ... in-autism/

*the word conspiracy has very much deviated from its traditional meaning in the last few years.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2022, 3:10 pm

The Medici court was rife with conspiracies, and with speculation about them. Upon hearing that one of the courtiers had died, Machiavelli mused "I wonder what he meant by that."
For my ex, it took about two days to go from suspicion to having herself convinced that something was going on that she had to attack. Two days of feeling safe was about her limit, even though nobody at all was out to get her. The more she attacked, the more she had to avoid guilt by seeing others as conspirators.

jared11235
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Aug 2022, 3:42 pm

I read in a book about autism that pesticides on food, especially consumed by a pregnant mother, can possibly cause autism in the unborn child.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2022, 4:20 pm

jared11235 wrote:
I read in a book about autism that pesticides on food, especially consumed by a pregnant mother, can possibly cause autism in the unborn child.

If that interests you . Might look up connections between Lyme tick bacteria and the unborn and Autism.
Lyme .org , no spaces . Good path to follow down the internet rabbit hole . :mrgreen: .

where ever you go ,there you are

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2022, 6:57 pm

There's a grain of truth in the pesticide theory (excuse the pun).

There's been a study that found greater risk of autism in the children of women exposed to pesticides.
But it's only a raised risk, that's a long long way from saying that pesticides cause autism.

KimD
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2022, 7:16 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Having a child over the age of 30 increases the chance of autism, also having a baby in your teens increases the chances. And firstborn.

Basically everything causes autism.

Whoa! That's one lonnnnnng gestation period and one helluva painful delivery! :wink: (My mind misread your sentence the first time. It's been a busy day.)

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2022, 7:47 pm

Fnord wrote:
Being a "Refrigerator Mom" causes autism.

I was expecting "Refrigerators cause autism." After all, breathing causes eventual death.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2022, 8:22 pm

Fnord wrote:
• Being a "Refrigerator Mom" causes autism.

I had one of those. I got the AS from her genes, and an attachment disorder from the refrigerator. She thought I was in a semi-larval state until I could form sentences. Mama didn't like noise. If I suffered from emotions, I was quarantined until I was quiet again. I am also the quietest handyman I've ever heard of. My roommates used to think I was sneaking up on them.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2022, 8:29 pm

old_comedywriter wrote:
Fnord wrote:

I was expecting "Refrigerators cause autism." After all, breathing causes eventual death.

Cold hearted people can bring autism to a whole new level, the cold melts us down, way down.

Uta Frith thew out the baby with the bathwater, nuisance that she is.

haha im such a conspiracy theorist that I conjured one up out of the blue just doing my thing

ok its not technically a conspiracy theory, yet..

the UK academic establishment shills her, there is a conspiracy

and oh, she plagurized Wittgenstein :heart: , im dead cereal! :skull: :jester:

want to start a thread on that Fnord? :mrgreen:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2022, 8:02 am

old_comedywriter wrote:
Fnord wrote:

You need to be aware that "refrigerator moms" is a meme in the autism community because it's a reference to the early dark ages of autism. Back in the Fifties and Sixties when autism was first recognized by researchers like Kanner, and they didnt know the cause, it was assumed to be a neurosis caused by bad parenting. And the supposed particular flaw was unemotionalness, or coldness, particular of the mother.

Now autism is thought of us being mostly inborn (though upbringing might make it worse). And in some cases (as with Dear_One) there maybe some semi truth to it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2022, 8:06 am

Getting bonked in the head by a refrigerator certainly could cause autism-like symptoms for at least a little while....

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2022, 9:47 am

In addition to the lawsuit regarding Tylenol I've seen a few commercials for:

Toxic Baby Food Lawsuit/Autism & ADHD

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2022, 5:02 pm

The Cartoon series Pinky and The Brain …. Was actually depicting the extremes of Autism ….. Of high functioning
Persons .

where ever you go ,there you are