Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Mermaidstail06
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Sep 2023, 6:16 am

Why do people have to. Dehumanise autistic peoples needs for, a lot of NTs do. Not all of course I think sometimes they, can intentionally buy it’s awful. It does really irritate me, when NTs say going to a SEN school is lucky. Why is it lucky autistic people, can not go to a regular school. Of course some can, why is it lucky we need extra support. Why is it lucky how is that luck it is not it’s horrible to be told that.

Or they say they’d love that. When they do not go so they do no know what, it is like it’s awful. Lot of use have to watch kids get, really badly injured there. Someone getting there needs met that, is not luck that’s standard it’s not cool to have. When we require extra support or don’t function how, is that luck how. We are human to.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2023, 6:38 am

Some people are just stupid.

When I worked in a college for 16-18 year olds, a very silly student said to me how lucky another student was to have a wheelchair and not have to walk everywhere. He had a life limiting condition FFS. He died when he was 19. That's not lucky.

Often people just see something and assume it's lucky or good or enjoyable without thinking of the consequences or way the person has to live their lives.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2023, 4:09 pm

Mermaidstail06 wrote:
Why do people have to. Dehumanise autistic peoples needs for, a lot of NTs do. Not all of course I think sometimes they, can intentionally buy it’s awful. It does really irritate me, when NTs say going to a SEN school is lucky. Why is it lucky autistic people, can not go to a regular school. Of course some can, why is it lucky we need extra support. Why is it lucky how is that luck it is not it’s horrible to be told that.

Or they say they’d love that. When they do not go so they do no know what, it is like it’s awful. Lot of use have to watch kids get, really badly injured there. Someone getting there needs met that, is not luck that’s standard it’s not cool to have. When we require extra support or don’t function how, is that luck how. We are human to.

Could it be they mean they intend to imply that it is lucky that there is support, because we could live in a society where people on the spectrum are committed to institutions as they once were? So it is not that it is lucky one needs a Special Educational Needs school, but it is lucky that the schools exist, and people who attend them aren't simply left aside. I think the intent is well meant. Sometimes people just don't say it well.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2023, 4:29 pm

Autistic people do matter. I would say that going to a regular school is off limits to a lot of autistic people. I went to mainstream school and it was hell. I was verbally bullied every day and was occasionally, physically assaulted.

MuddRM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Sep 2023, 11:59 pm

Around this neck of the woods (South Central PA, specifically, York County, if you’re not “normal” in any sense of the word, you deserve to be vilified and exterminated. I’m a perfect example; my brothers drove me out of mom’s estate when she died, shortly after I got my diagnosis. I haven’t spoken to my 2 youngest siblings in almost 13 years; they’d rather I drop dead, so they can dance all over my rotting fat carcass. I now no longer talk to number 2 brother, when he and wife refused to attend my church on the anniversary of our Dad’s death and my brother’s birthday. When I call his phone number, he never answers, even though he’s now retired. I tell people about my diagnosis, and the hostility starts up. A few treat my kindly, and will listen, but generally I stay in my apartment, with the door locked at all times.

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2023, 1:52 am

MuddRM wrote:
I tell people about my diagnosis, and the hostility starts up. A few treat my kindly, and will listen, but generally I stay in my apartment, with the door locked at all times.

Wow, that is too bad to hear. I have told a few people about my diagnosis and all have been understanding and supportive. Now I have only told one family member, a cousin who used to teach special ed, figuring he might have some insight. My parents had passed away by the time I was diagnosed, and there doesn't seem to be much reason to tell my sister about it.

What specifically was the hostility about that they directed to you?

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2023, 2:06 am

To be honest, I didn't understand the "lucky" in this post, which probably means that the NTs expressed a kind of dissatisfaction that autistic people have failed in the competition of socializing, but they have not been punished, but they have been protected.
If I'm right, I think it's a tragedy that brings competition to every field。
Society will eventually eliminate discrimination against the losers, although not now, but we can push it by uniting the losers in this competition, I guess.
I'm not saying that there are losers in this competition, just that this competition is meaningless

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2023, 11:31 am

I agree. We do matter and our lives matter as well. Just because we don't fit into society's narrow definition of normal doesn't mean that we should be done away with.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2023, 5:12 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
Autistic people do matter. I would say that going to a regular school is off limits to a lot of autistic people. I went to mainstream school and it was hell. I was verbally bullied every day and was occasionally, physically assaulted.

I too found my mainstream secondary education in the UK very uncomfortable, and I think I'd have been better off in a Steiner or Montessori school (though I'm wary of the hocus-pocus that goes on in Steiner - I just like the idea of not being tasked out and of being treated gently). I don't quite understand how anybody enjoys being educated in a big school.

Of course autistic people matter, to anybody who doesn't go for the survival-of the-fittest ideology and has some real compassion for those who are worse off through no fault of their own.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2023, 4:45 pm

All lives matter.